WRX Vs. 3.5 Altima SE
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX Vs. 3.5 Altima SE within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, my first post in the WRX Vs. world and it's a tie..too bad..While travelling to Columbus ,GA. to pick ...

WRX Vs. 3.5 Altima SE

Well, my first post in the WRX Vs. world and it's a tie..too bad..While travelling to Columbus ,GA. to pick up my girlfriend, I got behind a guy and his girl in a new 3.5 Altima while on ALT. 27 between Newnan and Carollton. We were both behind an 18 wheeler and as the road turned to a 2 lane, he punched it. I was not really trying to race but decided to follow him around. I got into 3rd gear (we were going about 45) and got on it. I reeled him in about the point the 2 lane became 1 lane again so I'm not sure if he slowed or not. Anyway, I passed him about 2 miles later with no drama to speak of. He was cruising too slow for me simple as that. We come into Newnan and get behind slow traffic again in a one lane. Just as the road splits into 2 he rushed up my back end and tried to go around me on the right (into the new lane that was opening up). No way I thought so I got on it in 2nd gear (we were going about 20 mph this time) and went for it. The 2nd lane lasted about a half mile and the whole time, dude was on my ass. I mean ON MY ASS and I had my rex pegged for all it was worth. No cars around, right lane hitting about 120 and he was right with me. I think he could have passed if he really wanted. So who else has dealt with one of these cars? I can drive my car rather well so it wasn't driver error and I have no idea if his car was stock or not. Anyone?
    -Colin

'03 Blue Meanie Rex
    '88 Isuzu I-Mark RS Turbo
    '83 Porsche 944
    '79 Datsun 280ZX the "Skittle"
    '77 Datsun 280Z
    '72 Datsun 240Z Blue 'not so" Meanie

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The truth is the 3.5 in the Altima is bad-mutha-fukin-ass and it can bring the pain, stock. You should get it from a standing start, though.

Hmm... my buddie has one and I can pull from a roll or stomp from a stop....

I think it's time to mod your car

Either way those cars have a lotta HP and if your stock from a roll they will probably pull on you.
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

Originally posted by MustGoFast
    Hmm... my buddie has one and I can pull from a roll or stomp from a stop....

I think it's time to mod your car

Either way those cars have a lotta HP and if your stock from a roll they will probably pull on you.
    Hmmm, my thoughts exactly.. I figure I could get one from a stop..maybe next time?
    -Colin

'03 Blue Meanie Rex
    '88 Isuzu I-Mark RS Turbo
    '83 Porsche 944
    '79 Datsun 280ZX the "Skittle"
    '77 Datsun 280Z
    '72 Datsun 240Z Blue 'not so" Meanie

i test drove one. . .they have beastly torque

same engine as the 350z, it's just that 350z engine is little more tweaked.

Never race 3.5SE from a roll unless you have mods done on your WRX. FYI... 3.5SE traps at 97mph
    Last edited by WRXreX; 06-04-2003 at 04:51 PM.

Here's a little something that I posted on altimas.net a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the flame war that they got into. One guy is trying to tell me that I'm an idiot and a sucky driver because I ran 13.5's with an estimated 275-280 crank horsepower and also that my fuel injectors are at the top of their duty cycle with my conservative mods.

http://www.nissantalk.com/forum/show...5&pagenumber=1
    Last edited by Flyboy; 06-04-2003 at 07:54 PM.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

I test drove a 3.5 Altima a week before I got my Rex and LOVED that 3.5L engine! Felt just like a 2/3 scale smoothed out version of the worked 302 in my old Mustang. If that car had AWD and half the modding potential of the WRX, I'd be driving a Nissan right now.

FWIW, those Altimas are underrated. I have the strange feeling that all the 3.5 VQ's are putting out almost the same power number and Nissan just rates them differently for marketing purposes How else can you explain that the 350Z which weighs 100 pounds less, is RWD, has 6 tight gears, and supposedly making 47 more hp is beating the 5spd. FWD Altima out by only 2 or 3 mph in the quarter?

Marketing, all marketing...
    Last edited by stilesg57; 06-05-2003 at 03:54 AM.
    <----- Finally found an avatar I like!

I think he was drafting you if he was right on you a$$. 240 hp's don't hurt either at the top end.

Originally posted by stilesg57

FWIW, those Altimas are underrated. I have the strange feeling that all the 3.5 VQ's are putting out almost the same power number and Nissan just rates them differently for marketing purposes How else can you explain that the 350Z which weighs 100 pounds less, is RWD, has 6 tight gears, and supposedly making 47 more hp is beating the 5spd. FWD Altima out by only 2 or 3 mph in the quarter?

Marketing, all marketing...
    I believe, if you look at Maxima.org and others, that the Z and Maxima owners are organizing a class action lawsuit regarding this. The Altima is underrated, the Z is overrated, and the Maxima is also overrated apparently.

What does this mean to us WRX owners? Beware the Altima. The VQ engine is the best V6 ever built, IMHO. Considering the weight and suspension, though, we should lose them in the twisties.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

Originally posted by dielectric
    The VQ engine is the best V6 ever built, IMHO.
    Amen!
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

I hope you mean NA V6 engine. The RB26DETT is still the best motor ever! The damn thing can handle over 1000hp on the stock motor, not to mention it really makes about 350hp to the crank stock. Thats a very under rated motor!
    293.2 hp to the ground
    267 lb/ft torque to the ground
    VF-30 Setup

Originally posted by THE ONE
    I hope you mean NA V6 engine. The RB26DETT is still the best motor ever! The damn thing can handle over 1000hp on the stock motor, not to mention it really makes about 350hp to the crank stock. Thats a very under rated motor!
    The RB26DETT is an inline 6, not a V6.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.