Got Beat by a Mini Cooper S - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Got Beat by a Mini Cooper S within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by swipe112 Hmm...I must say, I saw the Italian job last week, and those fixed up coopers in ...

Originally posted by swipe112
    Hmm...I must say, I saw the Italian job last week, and those fixed up coopers in the movie looked and sounded awfully nice. Maybe I'd drive one if I lived in some insanely crowded city in Europe or Hong Kong.
    I've tried and I've tried and I've tried, but I just can't drop the laugh-factor when I see the Coopers. I mean, I can't see myself driving a car that I could pull up to a bike rack and use a U-Lock to lock the front bumper against the bike rack. It might perform very nicely, but damn! that car is tiny!!! Or perhaps Mini is the proper word.

But hey, who am I to judge? If someone has a personal taste for the Coopers, more power to them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Heh, I usually call them a Mini WRX especially the cooper S has its tiny hood sccop and top mount intercooler, also those bugeyed headlights.
    Subaru 17' inch BBS wheels /w Continental ContiExtremeContact Tires, STi Pedals and Tint so far :-P

I test drove the S. It is fun to drive, but next to the WRX, it felt like I was standing still.

I met a guy with an S model at the last autocross event I went to, he was really complaining of understeer

Originally posted by PKer
    I met a guy with an S model at the last autocross event I went to, he was really complaining of understeer
    That's like a Geo Metro owner complaining about wheel spin off the line.

My dad recently for the MINI S and I have to admit.....it can handle damn great for a tiny car. The power isn't that great, but its on demand and decent for now. On turn, i'm sure the MINI could maybe out handle my WRX (until i upgrade a few more things) but power wise....the WRX has it.

Originally posted by EMarkDDS
    That's like a Geo Metro owner complaining about wheel spin off the line.
    So why was he complaining then?

Ike
    Maybe his tire pressures were messed up, maybe the track was slick, maybe he doesn't know what understeer is, maybe he's just an awful driver, maybe his other car is a Ferrari 2003-GA and his name is Michael Schumacher. I think it would be pretty damn hard to get understeer from a Mini.

Originally posted by jarelee
    My dad recently for the MINI S and I have to admit.....it can handle damn great for a tiny car. The power isn't that great, but its on demand and decent for now. On turn, i'm sure the MINI could maybe out handle my WRX (until i upgrade a few more things) but power wise....the WRX has it.
    Agreed. I've driven Mini Cooper S on several occasions. I even drove one that had an adjustable rear sway bar and H&K springs. Let me tell you, the handling on that car (modded one) made my WRX feel sloppy and mine has Eibachs springs and 17" performance tires. And you're right, it has a flat powerband with that supercharger, but high end is lacking. I hear one of the aftermarket suppliers for Mini is working on a 250hp package for it. Stock for stock a Mini Cooper S will pretty easily outhandle a WRX.
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

My other car is a modded 2003 Mini Cooper S. As for a drag race from a stoplight the Mini is TOAST. The Mini is a HORRIBLE Drag car due to the fact that 1st Gear is really long, it actually hits fuel cut at over 50mph. A WRX will kill a S all day long, light to light.

My mini is currently pushing about 200WHP. Interestingly enough it runs 15.9 at 5800asl, with frightful 2.6 sec 60ft times. The trap speed is really interesting though, 94 mph. The 350Z I raced a week ago only trapped 89mph up here. I have raced my wife from a 30 mph roll up to 120 and I only had her by a bumper.

As for the corners, the mini is the clear winner, Add a rear stabilizer bar and the understeer will go away. The MINI has laid a fair amount of distance bettween a couple of C5 vettes as well as a Ducati 996 up bear creek canyon, as well as numerous WRX's (including mine), and most recently a riced out RSX. All the while averaging 34mpg.

After a day of buzzing (literally it sounds like a pissed off bumble bee) around in the MINI the WRX feels like a Buick, big, slow to respond and full of body roll (I am running 18's on the WRX with Azenis rubber). However, when I am crusing around the city with stoplights in the MINI, I just keep on wishing I have my WRX.

Which one do I like better?....Could not choose...So I bought both. Sooo glad I didn't get that S4, 2 cars lots of fun...same price as 1 S4.
    1997 VOLVO 850R 14.5@102 with a slushbox and a 2.4 sec 60 ft time.
    1951 chevy 13.3@ 109 gettin some paint
    2002 WRX 13.8 stock turbo :sold
    1996 BMW 318ti what I drive when everything else is broken

STIEDup,

Thanks for the review. It's nice and refreshing to hear from someone who has both a WRX and a Mini. Your review of the handling is exactly how I would evaluate it. You should get some aftermarket springs on your WRX, it will make a world of difference (which I'm sure you know). I've actually considered getting an MCS as a 2nd car in a year or so. I just love the uniqueness of it. I'm trying to talk my wife into getting one but she loves her Audi A4 too much and it's payed for. I've trolled a couple of the Mini boards and some of those people think their Mini is the sh*t. It's obvious a lot of them have never owned a perfromance car or know much about other cars. There was one guy who even thought that with just a few mods to the MCS it would easily beat an '03 Cobra in a straight line drag race (yah right - LOL)

Anway, good review.
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

Originally posted by STiedUP
    My other car is a modded 2003 Mini Cooper S. As for a drag race from a stoplight the Mini is TOAST. The Mini is a HORRIBLE Drag car due to the fact that 1st Gear is really long, it actually hits fuel cut at over 50mph. A WRX will kill a S all day long, light to light.

As for the corners, the mini is the clear winner, Add a rear stabilizer bar and the understeer will go away. The MINI has laid a fair amount of distance bettween a couple of C5 vettes as well as a Ducati 996 up bear creek canyon, as well as numerous WRX's (including mine), and most recently a riced out RSX. All the while averaging 34mpg.

Nice summation of it, STiedUP. I test drove the Mini S and was underwhelmed by the engine. It felt equal to my (then) lightly modded Celica GT-S. More linear on the power band, but once the VVTi kicked in, the Celica was more entertaining and about equivalent. But I loved the handling. Quirky interior didn't quite do it for me, and at that time, dealer was marking 'em up $2500.

When will the "Works" edition Mini hit these shores ? Still not a match for the WRX I would think, but is should close the gap some.
    Old, but not slow.

The "Works" by John Cooper is a big fat load of B.S. Basically all you get is a smaller pulley on the supercharger (cost me $149), an exahust system and an intake (Both of those cost me $800 total. ) You will get 200 crank HP,and you pay $4500!!!!!!!! But I guess you get a warranty.....

With my ECU reflash I should be identicial to my friend Randy who laid 199.8whp on Paragon Tunings Dyno(220-230 CHP) . All total invested is $1500.

The reason the mini feels so damn slow is the LONG first gear, I You hate it around town, you love it in Auto-X, run the whole darn course in 1'st gear. The 6spd tranny in the MINI absoultely rules, you can throw it in 1st at 40 mph no balking or waiting for synchros, speed shift with no complaints.

The Mini, Without a LSD and Slicks will never be competive in a Drag race with a WRX. Auto-X on the other hand, I dont think any WRX will ever compete with a MINI, it is what they were made for.

From a 60 mph roll on on the highway The german engineering begins to show through, I would be willing to bet that it would take a 300+hp wrx to hang with my MINI...maybe....
    Last edited by STiedUP; 06-07-2003 at 08:10 AM.
    1997 VOLVO 850R 14.5@102 with a slushbox and a 2.4 sec 60 ft time.
    1951 chevy 13.3@ 109 gettin some paint
    2002 WRX 13.8 stock turbo :sold
    1996 BMW 318ti what I drive when everything else is broken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12