fun with an ls1 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on fun with an ls1 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by ellinopedo182 lt1 or ls1, stock for stock, they both should hand us our ass from a roll. ...

Originally posted by ellinopedo182
    lt1 or ls1, stock for stock, they both should hand us our ass from a roll.
    Having owned two of them (1998, 2001 SS)... yes, they should

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

and the SS and WS6 DO have functional ram air hoods, if not all that effective; and the SS has 17 wheels and larger tires, which probably do nothing to help trap speeds. And yes, having traded my '99 SS in for my '03 wagon, Ive no desire to tangle w/ one at the drag strip; The SS did consistant 12.90's @ 105 - 106, stock
    -Ray

Originally posted by SpeedShift
    this is false.

the ls1 generation f-bodies are ram nothing. they dont have functional hoodscoops and their airbox assemblies are not altered when they recieve the "cool" badges of the ws6 or ss. it is only appearance mainly.

both cars weigh the same.
    Who have you been talking to?? The car I have has a functional hood scoop and all the rest WS6's that I have ever seen do as well. They are not sealed to "only" outside cold air from the factory but there are aftermarket kits like I have that seal it up. At high speeds there is a ram effect when the air box is sealed. The hood scoops do get cooler air into the engines.

Who have you been talking to??
    i have owned a 97 6-speed formula ram air.

The car I have has a functional hood scoop and all the rest WS6's that I have ever seen do as well.
    the only fucnional ram air versions were the LT1 cars, NOT the LS1 models. they took the very functional ram air package of the LT1's and turned them into non-fucntional marketing gimmicks for the LS1's.

the LT1's ram air and SS packages had a different air box (bigger) assembly than their cheaper siblings, AND strips to ensure only outside air gets in. the LS1's ram air and SS packages did NOTHING to alter their air intake system. instead, they slapped on some stupid hood that was barely functional. they are ram nothing. you will not get anymore HP from the ws6 ls1 than a normal ls1, trust me, it was just on paper because the ls1's were underated from the factory. they were producing those numbers in stock trim.

They are not sealed to "only" outside cold air from the factory but there are aftermarket kits like I have that seal it up.
    thats right, this proves that the ls1's ram air packages were BS marketing gimmicks. at least the LT1 versions were real and functional. you had to modify the ls1 with aftermarket air filter assemblies and other junk which will lead you to ask, "why the hell didn't they come like this from the factory if they are labeled ram air?"

bah, GM really messed up on the f-bodies. i am not surprised they have died out.
    03 blue WRX.
    Weeeeee!

this is false.

the ls1 generation f-bodies are ram nothing. they dont have functional hoodscoops and their airbox assemblies are not altered when they recieve the "cool" badges of the ws6 or ss. it is only appearance mainly.

both cars weigh the same.
    Uhh... how to put this... WRONG!!

Both the SS and WS6 are functional ram-air hoods.. the WS6 hood is far more efficient and is probley why the WS6 usually has better track times when mags do comparisons. The SS hoods air path is more convoluted and the inlet to the airbox is smaller.

If always though of the hoods more of cold-air induction hoods rather than ram-air hoods since you REALLY have to have a good seal to achieve any noticable pressure.

Differences in SS and Z28:
    ram-air hood
    different spoiler
    slight differences in suspension
    17" rims
    Power Steering Cooler
    Badges

Very little HP difference between the two but the SS can be ordered from the dealer with a bunch of extra stuff from SLP like better exhaust, Auburn differential, lid and such.

Good pull on the Z28 though.. autos (with stock converters) and stock exhaust are quite takeable by a modded WRX.. especially with three people in the car -- Stock Z's (auto) usually put down about 300ish rwhp (usually a little less).. My M6 put down 316 rwhp bone stock.. a little more now
    New Car: 03 Pearl Blue WRX Sedan ~ 18" Volkner Racing hyperblack mesh wheels, Pirelli PNero Zero tires, Prodrive springs, Prodrive shift knob.. for starters

Play car: 1969 LS1 powered Camaro, painted WRX Ralley Blue

See them all here:
    www.z069.us

i have owned a 97 6-speed formula ram air.

thats right, this proves that the ls1's ram air packages were BS marketing gimmicks. at least the LT1 versions were real and functional. you had to modify the ls1 with aftermarket air filter assemblies and other junk which will lead you to ask, "why the hell didn't they come like this from the factory if they are labeled ram air?"

bah, GM really messed up on the f-bodies. i am not surprised they have died out.
    We could go on for days about why the fbody died out.. but that fodder for another thread.. Hard to call a car that cost less than $22k and could run low 13's/high 12's stock messed up..

If ya like I could shoot pics showing that the factory hoods do seal (not the best seal in the world) to the airbox.. and that the outside air is the only air fed through the lid assembly.. this is especially true on the WS6.. But hey, what do I know...

i haev a stock wrx and my friend just got a "6 speed t-top camaro w/ ram air" its an older model, my guess is 96 ish? how can i beat him? What mods do i need, or will i have a chance from a stop?

i dont know if its ls1 or lt1 or any of that

Originally posted by batmanalan
    i haev a stock wrx and my friend just got a "6 speed t-top camaro w/ ram air" its an older model, my guess is 96 ish? how can i beat him? What mods do i need, or will i have a chance from a stop?

LS1's didnt come out till 98.. so a 96 would be a LT1.. much lower hp and they dyno bone stock around 260is to the wheels.. A bone stock LS1 dynos around 318hp to the wheels..

Stock for stock you would take him in the 60ft but after that he would reel you in.. mod time?
    New Car: 03 Pearl Blue WRX Sedan ~ 18" Volkner Racing hyperblack mesh wheels, Pirelli PNero Zero tires, Prodrive springs, Prodrive shift knob.. for starters

Play car: 1969 LS1 powered Camaro, painted WRX Ralley Blue

See them all here:
    www.z069.us

Originally posted by batmanalan

for the lt1 all you would need is a boost controller and a turbo back. that should be good enough to beat him.

i think the lt1's average low 14's high 13's.

Originally posted by axion7606
    for the lt1 all you would need is a boost controller and a turbo back. that should be good enough to beat him.

i think the lt1's average low 14's high 13's.
    Yep..

And a stock LS1 (SS or WS6) averages low 13's to VERY high 12's with a REALLY good driver

Just make sure the race is from a stop.. better yet at a track

Didn't read it all but i ran a 13.66@97.71mph with just a hallman mbc and k&n filter when i first go the car. But anyways, you either raced an LT1 or the car was loaded with weight. I was running 12.9@103.6 with the stock turbo in cold weather and 13.3 in hot weather and LS1's would pull on me from a roll. I had to do a turbo upgrade to pull on them. They are fast cars. But i would pull LT1's all the time from a roll. Big difference in the motors.
    2005 WRB STI - TBE, CAI, Protune
    1.74 60 foot -8.30 1/8@83.66mph

2002 WRX (Gone)
    1.80 60 foot - 8.15 1/8 mile - 12.61@112.19

boost controllers scare me. i dont like the idea of more air w/ out more fuel to match. I guess ill just have to get a utec. im workin on the turboback/uppipe. will i have a chance w/ the turboback/uppipe?
    Thanks,
    Alan

wit turboback and up pipe u might have a good chance. it will be clos thou very close. pending on drivers. (Lt1) boost controller wont hurt as long as you don't get greedy with the boost. UEC would be agood investment thou.
    2008 Evo X
    HBSpeed tuned 351AWHP 345TQ
    T1R TBE, Perrin FMIC, AEM Intake, AP tuned

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.