Funny thing about Mustang/Camaro Owners - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Funny thing about Mustang/Camaro Owners within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; (spit take)...

(spit take)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How about you take him to a windy road and really show off what your WRX can do. His one-sidded car wouldn't stand a chance.

Kind of funny to see the responses depending on the owner. Seems like I struck a nerve with some of the Camaro owners. I know the car would smoke my Rex given enough road, but there is usually only enough road to get to 60-70mph on most runs which is not enough for most LT1s/some LS1s to catch up.

Steve - sorry you see it as a generalization, but it's true. Camaros and Mustangs are a dime a freakin' dozen out here.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the "I'd smoke you in the twisties" excuse. They use that at the S2000 board all the time and while it's true, it's still lame. Run what 'cha brung.

Jimbo

I see more WRX's than mustangs GT's. Don't count the 6 cyl mustangs, those are there to keep the GT's and cobras alive.

And we don't have "twisties" here in NJ.

Same here in Wichita. All roads run N, S, E, W. Minus the neighborhood streets.
    '89 Ford Bronco, 5.8L - Custom Stereo, Custom Exaust

Future plans to get a WRX.
    Working on it! Hopefully in September.

My WRX is an even match for my Hawk at the low speed autocross event that I regularly attend (Joliet Sports Car Club) and they post even lap times. I have to work harder and concentrate more to drive the Hawk, however. On a longer road course such as Road America, the WRX becomes a spot in the mirror of my Firehawk when comparing lap times.

The Firehawk runs 12.5 at 114mph (2.09 sixty foot) and my WRX runs 13.5 at 99 (1.81 sixty foot).

Both cars are a blast to drive around corners, but there's something quite satisfying about controlling a RWD powerslide around a turn in a high HP vehicle, and the way a RWD v8 car just puts a silly grin on my face. Some of us have the ability to appreciate performance cars in all shapes, sizes, and countries of origin without taking cheap shots at those other owners whom we know nothing about.

30 yr old, Big Ten grad, non mullet wearing, non wife beater t-shirt wearing F-body and WRX enthusiast.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

there are race courses that you can attend in IL? by joliet? tell me more.
    03 blue WRX.
    Weeeeee!

Thumbs up

Dan,

Great post. The intent of the original post was not to bash as much as it was to share an observation I have noticed over the last six months that I have had both the S2000 and the WRX. There really seems to be a bias towards F-body guys trying to get an advantage when they probably don't even need one.

I am a fan of fast cars regardless of where they were made.

Giddy up,

Jimbo
    2003 PSM Wagon - VF34; STi 565cc Injectors; ScoobySport turboback with Prodrive muffler; STi catless uppipe; Cobb AccessPort; Samco IC hoses; 17" Steel Gray Rota Attacks with Sumitomo HTR ZIIs; Prodrive springs, sedan rear sway

a real race is from a stop. it's funny how when supra owners want too run a ls1 from a roll. most the ls1 owners deny and say that a real race is from a stop. then a wrx comes by and they want to race from a roll like stated earlier. i guess they just want too make sure they have every advantage possible. but a real race is from a stop.
    2008 Evo X
    HBSpeed tuned 351AWHP 345TQ
    T1R TBE, Perrin FMIC, AEM Intake, AP tuned

www.jolietsportscarclub.com is the website set up for the autocross that I try to hit every month in Joliet. No SCCA rules, just run whatchya brung. I placed first out of 50 cars in the first event of the year driving my Hawk. Second event, I had the WRX, and came in fourth (clipped a cone on my last run , otherwise would have had another 1st). I missed the most recent one because I thought it was gonna be rained out. Great group of people, wide variety of cars, and a smoothly run event. I can't say enough good things about it, and I'd love to see another WRX running out there with me.

And I agree that there are some F-body owners out there that will try to stage a race that best fits their particular setup. Six speed guys like to go from a roll due to higher trapspeeds and the fact that it's tough to launch. The automatic guys like to go from a stop (especially those on drag radials or ET streets with a high stall torque converter = 1.7 and lower 60 foot times, but lower overall trapspeeds than a comparable six speed car).

Nobody likes to lose, and if you know your competition, you're aware of their strengths and weaknesses. I'd say it's a sign of respect for the WRX if people are afraid to run it from a dead stop.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Originally posted by axion7606
    a real race is from a stop. it's funny how when supra owners want too run a ls1 from a roll. most the ls1 owners deny and say that a real race is from a stop. then a wrx comes by and they want to race from a roll like stated earlier. i guess they just want too make sure they have every advantage possible. but a real race is from a stop.
    In street racing, you either race from a stop or a roll. There's not one "real" way to race. I own an LS1 and a WRX and you know what, I'd rather race from a roll with both of them. That way I can preserve my clutch on both of them .
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Every street racer tries to work things to thier advantage. That is why a real race is on a track where there are rules and officials and timing equipment. Anyone that wants to race wants to win. It's only natural to try and get the advantage. Camaro and Firebird owners are no different than the rest of us.
    -Brian.

Originally posted by Trainrex
    Everybody run!!! It's a spy!!! ***runs out of house screaming and flailing arms above head***

Originally posted by Steve2000SS
    Thats funny.. I had a hard time getting Lightnings to run my SS

Shame on drivers for wanting to gain an advantage.. im sure AWD cars NEVER want to start from a dead stop..

I hate generalizations..
    I've never had a problem running anybody from a stop or a roll.

Here's an instance where a modded SS driver (359 whp) and I met up and ran from a roll. Granted, we were dead even through the first three gears. However, as soon as I hit 4th he walked me.

SS vs. WRX

Moral is not only HP/Trq but gearing, etc. makes an impression, too.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

As an F-body owner I will say.....

Real races are from a stop.
    It's 'easier' (more likely a situation to occur) to race from a roll so it happens probably more often.
    0-60 is not a race, don't kid yourself.
    The 'twisty' excuse is gay. We can mod our cars suspension to keep up with you in the twisties the same way you can mod your drivetrain to keep up with us in a drag race. (it'd probably be cheaper for us to equal your handling skills than you our power levels too)

I hope I dont sound like an ass. Everything I said above is obviously pure opinion. I like WRXs. I love F-body's
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.