RSX got OWN3D by bad driving...pics inside (not 56k friendly)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on RSX got OWN3D by bad driving...pics inside (not 56k friendly) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; He was at about 7k RPMs in 5th, and for whatever reason, he decides to downshift into 4th. The gear ...

RSX got OWN3D by bad driving...pics inside (not 56k friendly)

He was at about 7k RPMs in 5th, and for whatever reason, he decides to downshift into 4th. The gear box on a RSX-S is real close together and it's a 6 speed. So, instead of shifting to 4th, he accidentally shifted into 2nd gear right around 7k RPMs.

THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Man... Too bad you couldn't take a pic of the reaction on his face. I think that would've been a kodak moment.

Sux to be him. May I suggest an auto when he replaces the tranny?

It's times like these that I thank God that we got 5 speed trannies.... No chance of shifting from 5th gear to second!
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

OUCH!! I hate to see that happen. Can't imagine that bill is going to be pretty.
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

Yeah, looks like he's going to be buying a new long block.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Yea... That has got to suck.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

I wonder if you can somehow blame it on the "design" and have it covered under warranty?

I guess now is the time for Acura to rub it in if you didn't buy their extended warranty eh....

Plenty of people have done it before, and I don't think that they cover it under warranty. While I was looking at cars to buy, I test drove an RSX Type-S. They warned me that it was easy to mistake second for fourth, and that they would most likely not cover any engine failure due to misshifts under warranty.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

OUCH!!!!!
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

I don't see how hard it is to shift from 5th to 4th. All you have to do is step on the clutch and pop it out of gear, it will automatically go to a neutral position, then just pull down to 4th. Not hard at all. If he was racing, well then it's deserved isn't it. If you can't shift properly, maybe they should learn and make sure the shift is accurate instead of trying to act like a racer.

When I had the 6 spd on the spec, I agree that unless he was racing or a complete idiot, you have to try pretty hard to hit 2nd from 5th. What really concerns me on the 6-spd is R. That would be ugly, and you don't have to be racing to hit it.

Can you even shift into R while the car is moving? I would think they would put some kind of shift lock on it where you have to be stopped in order for the shifter to even go into R.

Originally posted by MOG_22
    Can you even shift into R while the car is moving? I would think they would put some kind of shift lock on it where you have to be stopped in order for the shifter to even go into R.
    With the 6-spd on the Spec V, they put a little "click" to the R and thank goodness i've always been careful NOT to find out in order to answer your question. But I HAVE accidently click over into the reverse but didn't engage it. Its pretty scary to know that you can hit it going 65mph. the R needs to be where the imaginary "7th" gear would be instead of the "8th" spot IMO.

He was going 7k rpm in 5th and decided to DOWNSHIFT??? He almost DESERVES the damage he got for doing that! Almost, that is. It's a damn shame seeing a nice engine and tranny explode into a million pieces. Hope it doesn't hit his wallet too hard (although I suspect it will).

There are some cars that require you to push down on the shifter in order to go into reverse, I think this is a good idea to make standard on all cars. It would definitely keep the idiots out there from royally screwing up their tranny.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.