I have driven the STI with no salesman
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on I have driven the STI with no salesman within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well it was pretty easy since I was the one who did the Pre Delivery Inspection. Anyway, I took the ...

Cool I have driven the STI with no salesman

Well it was pretty easy since I was the one who did the Pre Delivery Inspection. Anyway, I took the car off the lot with the lead Subaru Tech (I am a Dodge Tech) just to be safe, you know, in case I break it. So we get about a block or so and pull over and swap seats so now I can drive. We pull away and I give it a little juice, so I can compare the power to my WRX. So down this narrow street with so many nice pot holes (a great test drive road for suspension) so I hit about 65 going into 3rd, I up shifted and let off the clutch. The suspension is awesome. I hit the first turn at 40 and powered through it to 55 without effort. An out right slot car like performance. After that turn I am now heading towards the stop light, and I look at my friend and with his jaw wide open and a great "Wow, that was awsome". As the light turns green I punch it to 7000 rpm, to 2nd at 50, back to 7000 rpm I hit very close or over 80 into 3rd and up to 7000 again, well over 100 mph, time to slow down. With tears in our eyes we said aloud, at the same time, "Oh my God that was F***ing insane!." The power was smooth all the way to 6000, it has almost nothing past about 5800 but the torque is still there. Here are the neat toys: H.I.D. head lamps with five way in car height adjustment, intercooler water sprayer, adjustable center differential that has a rotary switch that displays, on the dash, what you are set at, programmable shift light, reverse lockout and most important a $2000 Jenson radio and door speakers (if you want it, get it with no radio). All in all I have three gripes: the blue carpet ,the rear wing is a bit high and the jinormous hood scoop can swallow small kids, but all in all, bad ass. If you have any questions please post them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I feel sorry for the guy who buys that car, or has been waiting on it...

No offense (can't say i wouldn't have the urge to do the same), but this shows what some of the irresponsible things are that happen at dealerships...
    autobahn storming scooby

break in WHAT?
    Last edited by ebr0t; 05-29-2003 at 12:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Isn't it Subaru that tells you there is no break in period? I do believe it is, or at least thats what my salesman and the techs told me when i bought my WRX... it may not be true, but thats what they say.. so why not?
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

Originally posted by STIwish
    Isn't it Subaru that tells you there is no break in period? I do believe it is, or at least thats what my salesman and the techs told me when i bought my WRX... it may not be true, but thats what they say.. so why not?

yours might not have... but 9/10 dealers if not more will tell you to take it easy for 1k miles... or will at very least not let you redline a brand new car on a test drive...

Peter North > *

Well I did take it pretty easy for the first 1000 miles.. never over 4k.. and I'd be pissed if it had happened to my car.. just relaying my dealers attitude.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    RIP

Originally posted by STIwish
    just relaying my dealers attitude.
    I gotcha, the attitude was still toward the original poster. Most dealers will say break it in for 1k miles. but I suppose yours was different

Peter North > *

Oh okay, just thought I'd clear that up
    STIwish
    -------------------
    RIP

I specifically asked my dealer about it and he told me nothing, as for the guy who gets that car, I do feel bad for him, you never want your car in the hands of someone else, especially someone who takes it through its paces.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Haha, the only way I can keep myself semi sane until i get my car is to go every weekend and test drive one. At this point, having test driven 10+ cars, they immediately tell me when i get out of my car "Hey whats up, go grab one!" So i do, they throw a plate on it, i take it out for 30-45 mins, have some fun, and bring it back Nice thing is that i get to go alone
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

Not to be mean, but this disgusts me almost as much as the now infamous 2003 Cobra incident.

i think i know who u are wrxtreme. lol.

guys: this happens all the time during pdi. Probably happen to your cars too. it's just we/you don't know about it lol. supposively this is one way of breaking it in...

ARe you talking about the lady who brought in her cobra after being dynoed (they said it felt under powered even though it hadnt even been broken in yet) and the mechanic ragged it out and then posted on a mustang forum and the owner saw the post? HAHA.... I remember i found out about that in icrontic.com, a computer tech forum... everyone on the whole damned internet found out about that.

First off, there is a break- in period. Secondly, as a tech, if it is going to break, I am going to break it! Would you be happy if you just paid $42000 for an STI and the first time you floor it "BOOM!"? So for the record, the factory tells us Technicians to beat the s*** out of them during a PDI, so for the record, I drive all cars tough and mean, and put all of them through the paces from the crappy Neons to Vipers, OK? A car is treated ten times worse by dumb people who think you launch an all wheel drive car by bringing the revs to 4 or 5 and dropping the clutch. And also let me say, the district Subaru tech advisor, Mike really liked my story, so if you're a Tech can I get an "Amen" and for those who don't understand, I feel sorry for you. If anyone has any real questions (about the car) please post them.

**sighs**---- got my rex w/ 1.7 miles on it.....it was MY CHERRY TO POP
    have you ever been 4 bagged ???

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast