I have driven the STI with no salesman - Page 5
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on I have driven the STI with no salesman within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I can't believe you guys are being such a bunch of b!tches about this. I think WRXTreme is exactly the ...

I can't believe you guys are being such a bunch of b!tches about this. I think WRXTreme is exactly the kind of member we want to stick around here, and you're all trying really hard to piss him off as far as I can tell.

All you pansies who think he was too tough on that car need to hand over your keys right now and come back when you grow a pair. I know for a fact that every salesman at our local dealership has taken a spin in the STi they just got. The cars can take it
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i kinda agree with wade. if u bought the wrx as a commuter car raise ur hand!

*looks around see no one raising their hand*

i bought mine to drive and race on weekends. now i dont beat my car real bad or that often but i prefer to take it to it's natural habitat.

natural habitat
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Ok, so he was just doing his job then?

Originally posted by chevyeater
    Ok, so he was just doing his job then?
    i didn't want to really get involved with this but i will just a little. ok 1 it's an sti, all sti's will be beat just like wrx's.

it really isn't worth arguing over this with u chevyeater it seems ur more sore that he got to beat on an sti and u didn't or can't i'm not sure but he drove it, drove it hard.

it's where u draw the lines of driving hard and beating on it.

beating is constantly, driving hard is off and on. personally i'd give the sti some gas and rip thru some gears also. i think everyone on this site would also, EVEN YOU!
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

I'm sorry if it seems like I am sore or jealous in any way. I am not. I have had the keys to $100,000 cars in my hands. I declined the opportunity to put any of them thru thier paces. You can believe me or not. No hard feelings.
    -Brian.

Originally posted by Trainrex
    Everybody run!!! It's a spy!!! ***runs out of house screaming and flailing arms above head***

Arrow

I'm with chevyeater on the beating (driving hard is nearly the same thing) a car that you dont own.

When I took a WRX for a test drive, the salesman drove it first.

And he asked me, and I quote. "What do you expect out of a car like this?"

And I replyed, "Fun."

He proceeded to fly through a residential area at 80 and take turns at 50. Kids are mear speed bumps?

Then he flew into a parking lot and did a U-turn at 40 into a parking spot. And then it was my turn. I never once got on it, even when he told me to get on it. I felt it when he drove it. I just wanted to see how the car felt.

I didn't feel right about driving a car I wasnt going to buy. I specificly tested a car I wasnt going to buy because I knew he would do that.

They car I've got my name on is a blue one thats in the showroom floor. It never leaves for test drives. Does that mean it never has? No, and I would bet it has been driven hard too. But if its still pushing hard after hard runs, I know its strong enough for me. I'm not gentle on things I own.

If I can take my Bronco into a long drift, and have nearly gone airborn, I need something that can handle me
    '89 Ford Bronco, 5.8L - Custom Stereo, Custom Exaust

Future plans to get a WRX.
    Working on it! Hopefully in September.

Well chevyeater I am in your corner! As an STI owner having waited for over 2 years for the car to get here, I had a deposit down for 6 months. I had a great dealer in NJ and knew when the car was going to get there. Was the first one in NJ. They treated me with the respect that buying that car should have commanded. Before it got there I had no control. Even when it first got there and wasn't mine I had no control, but the mechanic that tested it did so out of respect for me! And for the car. That was what was missing in what was said by wrxtrme==respect for a new car and the new owner. That was why I picked the dealer that I did pick. That is what he tries to get his people to follow. Do some of them drive some of the test cars hard. I'm sure. But a brand new model like the STI that a customer has been waiting for for months, I don't think so. Rest assured I'll drive it hard it is a piece of work, but that is my decision not some techs at the dealer.SFRinNJ

personally i dont think any of u would complain if u test drove it and the dealer said to get on it a little and u didn't end up buying it. so it's not different if some guy takes the car out for a spin as to u driving a car hard and not buying it.

if something happens to go wrong then u bring it in for service, simple as that...unless u have mods cuz odds r u get tossed aside by SOA. we all know that though. have u let ur friends drive ur car. i let 3 friends take a spin in my car when i got it and i'm teaching my gf how to drive a 5spd. wear and tear...my friends drove it hard for a mile or so that i let them drive it. my gf gets a clutch burn now and again. u can't see the future u dunno if by beating this car something will go wrong. it's all speculation. whose to say that if he didn't hit 4th gear the whatever would fail. who knows that it wouldn't fail anyway just matter of time. how do we know that by pushing the car to it's limit's something that could've broken at 40k miles with no warranty broke at 33 and saved the owner 5grand.

how do we know?
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Some people are different.

While one person has respect for other people and other peoples belongings (or future ones in this case).

Other people take advantage of anything and anyone regardless of the consequences to themselves or others. Regardless of who or what they hurt.

There is nothing we can do to stop it. Even if strict laws were put in place, few would listen.

All we can do is have our own piece of mind.
    '89 Ford Bronco, 5.8L - Custom Stereo, Custom Exaust

Future plans to get a WRX.
    Working on it! Hopefully in September.

I still don't see anything wrong with what he did. It's his job, I'm sure he knows how to drive a car in a manner that won't damage it. From what he says, it's a standard industry practice. If he was abusing the cars, he wouldn't still be employed at the dealership, IMHO.

As long as my car dosen't suffer a catastrophic failure within a reasonable amount of mileage, I won't blame the dealership. I'll present to you, a story that might make you guys feel better. You feel sorry for someone who's going to get an STi that'll probably turn out fine? Dig my story...

A friend of mine had parents who refused to buy him a Japanese car. So they leased him a BMW 325i. He makes the insurance payments, lease payments, and has to pay his dad the down payment back, etc. The car stickers around 32 grand. Sunroof, tiptronic auto, CD player, cruise and steering wheel controls. That's it.

The first thirty miles was to get from the dealership to his house. Those were the gentlest miles the car has felt. Every single mile after that has been hard and tortorous. For the first month, he'd WOT everywhere. Car's not warm yet? No problem! Snap the throttle body open for some quick warmup action. Drove about 20 miles in third gear doing like 5000 RPM. We'd drive around the neighborhood listening to the sweet straight six wailing softly and smoothly at 5500 RPM in first gear. All of that in 95+ degree weather.
    What else. We took it into the desert for some rally action, jumped it once. He likes to use the tiptronic feature to row the transmission from 1-5th gear and back, over and over and over. Neutral, rev to redline, pop it into drive again. We'd only feel a gentle jerk from the drivetrain, not even as hard as popping the clutch on a car. 120-0 brake checks. 0-60-0 just for fun. Hit a pidgeon doing 92. He's also yanked the e-brake doing 80 before. Makes lots of smoke!
    We made a CAI out of PCV piping and a $50 K&N cone filter. The car sounded a lot better, but the filter fell out one day and he drove over it. Another time, it rained and the car ingested water. We've disconnected the MAF and tried to rev it before too.
    Lots of people think BMWs are unreliable. My friend beat the **** out of his '01 325i. The AC is still ice cold, nothing except two trim pieces and a mirror broke (that's because of rocks) and one of the window regulartors might need some regulating itself (all German cars have crappy windows).
    26,000 of ultra-hard beater-like miles later...it's still as torquey as when he first got it. It still takes the abuse like a man. We still goof off with it and cruise around at 5500 RPM for kicks.

He didn't break it in. He drove it harder than 90% of the people who own that particular model would.
    ---

When he gives it back, I'm gonna feel REALLY sorry for whoever buys his car through the BMW Pre-Owned program. I hope that's consolation for you guys!

Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02

have u let ur friends drive ur car. i let 3 friends take a spin in my car when i got it and i'm teaching my gf how to drive a 5spd. wear and tear...my friends drove it hard for a mile or so that i let them drive it. my gf gets a clutch burn now and again.
    But you gave them permission to drive your car, you know they'll be likely to abuse your car in some way.

The bottom line is that the majority of people aren't aware of this PDI "spirited" driving, including myself (before I read this thread) and some people just like their cars the way that it would be delivered to them, brand new, in mint condition. The majority of drivers that are unaware of the PDI rule who are reserving/ordering new cars like the STi, RX-8, 350z, etc expect it to be in mint condition.

Drivers looking for a new car that has been sitting on the lot with 30 miles on it probably knows that the car has been abused a little during test drives. That's inevitable, and perhaps, sometimes expected.

It's just a different attitude a buyer takes towards a "never been test driven" car vs a test driven car.

Originally posted by TurnWRX
    The bottom line is that the majority of people aren't aware of this PDI "spirited" driving, including myself (before I read this thread) and some people just like their cars the way that it would be delivered to them, brand new, in mint condition. The majority of drivers that are unaware of the PDI rule who are reserving/ordering new cars like the STi, RX-8, 350z, etc expect it to be in mint condition.
    I really don't see it any differently than "burn-in" for a computer or other high end electronics. It has to pass a certain number of tests, and those should be fairly strenuous. And until you get the keys and the title, the car isn't yours to "give permission" to drive anyway.

First of all he said it was industry practice. Anyone know that for sure? I haven't seen anyone here second that opinion! Second of all in the state of New Jersey just to cover those 'extra miles' a customer has to sign a waiver at the time of purchase even of a new car when the mileage is over a certain amount. Basically the buyer is saying 'yeah I know somone drove it around=or it was a demo'. But I just spent yesterday in an empty industrial park with my new STI breaking it in doing figure 8s, circles, whatever to check steering and the brakes, but that was my right not the tech at the dealer. I still don't think it is an industry practice==can anyone find out? Got a mechanic willing to tell the truth?SFRinNJ

Well, all I have to add at this point is that I am in the industry and it is not standard practice to drive any car, PDI or otherwise, in the manner described by wrxtrme. Some people do, but they do it behind the backs of management at the dealership and customers. Those people are a small minority in my experience.
    -Brian.

Originally posted by Trainrex
    Everybody run!!! It's a spy!!! ***runs out of house screaming and flailing arms above head***

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.