I have driven the STI with no salesman - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on I have driven the STI with no salesman within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I feel most people here know A LOT more about WRX's than me, but I have yet to see of ...

I feel most people here know A LOT more about WRX's than me, but I have yet to see of any problems with people not breaking in their engines, and problems that can be specifically traced to not breaking in an engine. I broke mine in as suggested, but I find it hard to believe that my car would be much different if I drove it harder. Where is the list of people, or long threads discussing problems with WRX's that haven't been broken in? Perhaps I am wrong, (i'm not knowledgeable enough to know), but I haven't seen to many people talk about cars that have been screwed up due to "impropper" break-in. I bet a high percentage of WRX's owners could not resist the tempation, and drove their car hard from day one. If I am wrong, and there is a large group that have damaged their vehicles, then I eat these words.
    2002 WRX

Still Stock

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

so lay off and take advantage of the oppertunity to ask real smart ? like why you dont need a turbo timer and so on
    [hijack]
    So, wrxtrme, tell me: Why do I not need a turbo timer? I was thinking about getting one for my Eclipse.
    [/hijack]
    2000 Forester - 2003 Cadillac CTS - 1988 Toyota Celica AllTrac - 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T - 1968 Cadillac Eldorado

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!
    I know a guy who knows a guy who knew this dude who's brother is a porsche tech who was taught to drive them "as they were meant to be" [not abusive, but pushed] to make sure they're not gonna crap out on the customer and be back in a month. He's the most level headed, knowledgable, least- abusive guy I know, and damn can he drive......maybe it's in the description of events. It sounds like this put it comfortably through the paces WITHOUT abusing it, as the car was built to be driven. I do know that porsche engines are broken in at the factory, but for people to seek out this guy to jepordize (sp?) his job and reputation is bad news.
    ++++++++++++++++++++

Sedona Red Wagon, Nicely Tinted

Thule Bike RackS

Originally posted by jigga
    This thread is beginning to remind me of the warranty-related one a few months ago when someone decided to blow the wistle on someone by contacting SOA to report someone who wanted to go back to stock prior to making a warranty claim.
    Well didn't that particular guy just crank up an MBC with no other engine managment and blow his engine? I wouldn't have gone as far as to turn him in, but I guess he did have to pay up some of that dumb-ass tax.

However, same as this thread, what the hell do you expect if you post these sort of things to a Subaru entusiast site (and after posting your complete contact info at the dealership)? Common sense will tell you some (maybe the majority of) people take engine break-in seriously this kind of stuff will piss them off.

Personally, I drive my WRX hard - that is why I bought it - but I don't want anyone else doing that "for" me.

Originally posted by MoDrift
    Personally, I drive my WRX hard - that is why I bought it - but I don't want anyone else doing that "for" me.
    Exactly, I can drive my WRX/STi that I paid for however I choose to.
    Last edited by lstepnio; 05-30-2003 at 12:47 PM.

[ioh well i live in AZ my be that will help you get me fired hahahahahahahahahaha [/B]
    I live in AZ too. Do you live in the Phoenix area by any chance? I'm not trying to track you down for any bad reason, just trying to find members that live in my area. You can PM me with your answer if you want so that people don't really try to track you down.
    293.2 hp to the ground
    267 lb/ft torque to the ground
    VF-30 Setup

Originally posted by MoDrift
    Well didn't that particular guy just crank up an MBC with no other engine managment and blow his engine? I wouldn't have gone as far as to turn him in, but I guess he did have to pay up some of that dumb-ass tax.

However, same as this thread, what the hell do you expect if you post these sort of things to a Subaru entusiast site (and after posting your complete contact info at the dealership)? Common sense will tell you some (maybe the majority of) people take engine break-in seriously this kind of stuff will piss them off.

Yes, the guy did crank the boost and blew his engine, but as soon as he mentioned going back to stock, and seeking warranty repairs, most people jumped on the guy like flies on fresh hot dog poo...

The point I am trying to make here is that we really ought to mind our own business. It was not your or my car that he put through its paces, so what concern should anyone have as to whose "cherry" it is to pop, or whose 'cherry' was popped.

Why is it that nobody here cries fowl when the car mags beat up on the cars they review to within an inch of their lives.... In case some did not know, many of these cars are brand spankin new, with little to no mileage on their odometers.

The guy gave us info regarding the STi, which I am sure we all wanted to know. Should we not be grateful?
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

The issue of proper breakin procedure is a minor one. I believe the real issue is the fact that this kid violated the trust placed in him when he was handed the keys to a car that was not his.

I am an ASE certified master auto tecnician with 8+ years experience as a dealership line tecnician. It is my professional opinion that there is no need to
    put all of them through the paces
    in order to see if the vehicle is in proper working order. People like this make my job harder. How is it nessicary to exceed 100 mph on a road test? There can be no excuse for this type of behavior. If the car does not belong to you, you must not abuse the trust of the owner. Felony speeding is most definitely an abuse of that trust.

I have had some time to cool off since last night, so I am not certian about reporting this individual to the proper authorities. I have never "ratted" on anyone in my life. For now, I guess the Darwin award for self extinction will have to do. It is pretty damn stupid to post a story like this after you post where you work and what kind of car you drive.
    -Brian.

Originally posted by Trainrex
    Everybody run!!! It's a spy!!! ***runs out of house screaming and flailing arms above head***

Actually the car I drove went to Ali from Easy Street and you know something, he didn't give a **** that I drove it hard so call and tell Ali all about it he already has a turbo back exhaust and he is going to build a drag car out of it. In regards to everyones questions, how am I to know who is going to be driving that car?Are they old? Are they young? Are they a lead foot or do they only drive fast when no one is around? I don't drive customers cars that way unless it involves a specific complaint, I just drive PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) cars that way. Are they going to follow the break in period or not? It is only a suggested break in that's the deal, OK, obviously you have never seen what happens when a customer leaves in a brand new car and has to tow it back to the dealer. That is a very unhappy person. This is my last post so to whoever posted that question about turbo timers here is your answer: and your Eclipse does need a turbo timer the rex does not, due to the coolant reservoir, and the fact that it is pressurized. I am out - so much for this group.

so many idiots so few message boards.

Did anyone even stop to think of the "inside" info wrxtime might be able to provide to HELP us? (TSB's, etc)

Sht, My car had 70miles on it and I KNOW dam well that it was probably beat some in those miles!

Ya think droppin a dime on this guy is gonna help you?

I dont condone him drivin some (future) guys car "spirited"

But hey, He might be the one to O.K or NOT O.K some of the folks at his dealer his dealer for warranty work!.

Which one would you like to have examine YOUR CAR for warranty work?

Him? (Someone that understands "Spirited" driving)

Or the "70yr old" guy that would bust your balls for a muffler?

It happens at dealers all the time,.........live with that

Shotgun

Originally posted by wrxtrme
    So for the record, the factory tells us Technicians to beat the s*** out of them during a PDI
    Is that a direct quote from the Technician Bible? I think you are full of capooie. Please prove me wrong and offer some EVIDENCE (I know, a strange concept to many) that SOA tells technicians to redline the vehicle during the PDI, since they tell the customers differently during the break-in. I will be waiting for some facts!

Thumbs down

Originally posted by wrxtrme
    Actually the car I drove went to Ali from Easy Street and you know something, he didn't give a **** that I drove it hard so call and tell Ali all about it he already has a turbo back exhaust and he is going to build a drag car out of it.
    Even though this is pretty obvious b.s. , I was referring to Subaru of America and Valley Dodge/Subaru. SOA owned the car and it was insured by the dealership when the little joyride took place. That is why they call it a PRE delivery inspection. What happens if the police catch you in the act? What if there is a collision of some sort? If it is your car, it is your responsability entirely. When the vehicle does not belong to you there are concequences for the other involved parties.
    -Brian.

Everybody run!!! It's a spy!!! ***runs out of house screaming and flailing arms above head***

Originally posted by chevyeater
    Even though this is pretty obvious b.s. , I was referring to Subaru of America and Valley Dodge/Subaru. SOA owned the car and it was insured by the dealership when the little joyride took place. That is why they call it a PRE delivery inspection. What happens if the police catch you in the act? What if there is a collision of some sort? If it is your car, it is your responsability entirely. When the vehicle does not belong to you there are concequences for the other involved parties.
    With all due respect, I really think that you are beating a dead horse. This kind of behavior will not cease anytime soon. It happens everywhere. Heck, when you valet park your car, do you really think the parking attendant drives it like a granny to it's parking spot? Am I happy about it? Nope, but I also know that it is not my place to preach about what is right or wrong. Sure, it was a breach of trust that occurred, but was it a breach of your trust? I really do not understand why this is a painful issue in the first place

If the owner of the car was here complaining about it, I would wholeheartedly agree with the issue, but since neither of us own the car, why do you care so much?

As for you comments as to what if....., as far as I am concerned, in hindsight, everything is 20-20. What if you are caught streetracing? What about if you are involved in a collision? I guess these are just calculated risks that are part of life....
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Why I care-
    The act itself was not the most offensive part of this situation to me. The fact that he had to post bragging about it initally got me annoyed enough to post obnoxiously. The fact that he tried to defend his actions as doing his job is worse than that. Then to top it off he has to continue posting crap like that it doesn't matter because it is going to be a drag car. This after he explains that he does this to every damn car he PDIs.

If you enjoy beating on other peoples cars without thier knowlege or permission then go right ahead. Just don't brag about it. You can fully expect what happened here. If I wanted to make it my buisness then I would have e-mailed his dealership, Subaru, Chrysler, Van Nuys PD and Easy Street Motorsports. I did not. I am simply participating in an internet discussion about it. Fair enough?
    -Brian.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast