WRX vs. Mazda ? Turbo

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Mazda ? Turbo within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I think the guy was in a Protege turbo...didn't get a chance to find out for sure because the cops ...

WRX vs. Mazda ? Turbo

I think the guy was in a Protege turbo...didn't get a chance to find out for sure because the cops showed up, but here's the story. Was crusing down the road about 40 min. ago when this little orange car came up beside me. Didn't really pay attention to it until I heard the unmistakable whisshhh of a BOV. Ran the guy a few times from about 20 mph up to around 60, never really getting anywhere because of traffic. We made it to the interstate which was abandoned at 1am and the race was on. We started out around 20 mph on the on ramp and ended at 120. I missed the shift to 4th (too excited) but he never pulled on me, of fell back for that matter. On my rear bumper the whole time. We pull off at the next exit to see what the other guy is running...he told me he had the blow off valve and an Apexi muffler, but other than that was stock, said around 170hp at the crank. Now that made me feel bad, I figured with an extra 50hp or so I would have really beat him. Didn't even get a chance to see what kind of Mazda it was, that's when the cops showed and asked us to move along...it was a small 4 door sedan about WRX size...was it a protege?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

mazdaspeed protege. they are turbo charged from the factory. best times ive seen is quarter mile times ranging from 14.9-15.4... but from a roll, i guess they should be much better because of fwd vs awd. we're at the disadvantage with our awd system!
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Probably. The new Mazdaspeed Protege. They have 170chp stock. I think the exhaust makes a good difference on those cars. Maybe you just need more practice.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

those little buggers move off a roll. I had a little trouble with one that seemed to be stock. Then again I had 4 heads in the car

I saw one of them run here in Phoenix at the track and it SUCKED!!! I know the guy couldn't drive, but still I wasn't impressed at all. But they are supposed to perform well on the twisties anyway. Not a straight line.
    293.2 hp to the ground
    267 lb/ft torque to the ground
    VF-30 Setup

The Mazdaspeed Protege is brand new isn't it? I didn't even think it was on the streets yet...
    Matt, This was going from downtown to N. Chas. on 26?

Originally posted by acsWRX
    The Mazdaspeed Protege is brand new isn't it? I didn't even think it was on the streets yet...
    Matt, This was going from downtown to N. Chas. on 26?
    No, this was in Columbia on 26...I went home for the weekend

A friend was test driving with me in the back and I could tell right off the bat that it was a nice little beastie. The lag is very small and it's torquey early on. After correcting for drivetrain loss, you might loose to them if you have 2 fat people in the car.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!