WRX vs. STI/ STI-1 WRX-1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. STI/ STI-1 WRX-1 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Raced an STI tonight. From a 70 mph roll I put about 1 car on him until 120. From a ...

WRX vs. STI/ STI-1 WRX-1

Raced an STI tonight. From a 70 mph roll I put about 1 car on him until 120. From a 50 mph roll he put about 1/2 car on me until about the same speed. From 50 he went on the second honk not the third. From 70 I just waited until I saw him hit it and then I went. The ricer (the driver not the owner) tried telling us that he was in 6th gear on the highway... I guess he bought one of the STI's with 8 gears since he shifted twice. Both cars had two people. My mods are Vishnu unichip, TXS stealthback, PDE uppipe, and SBC-ID V2 set at 16.5 psi. Our power levels should be at "about" the same level so I don't see why he (the driver not the owner) had to make some ricer excuses... I was nothin' but nice to the guy...Oh well. the video camera doesn't lie!
    Last edited by hobbzz; 05-25-2003 at 06:51 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Let's see the video!

It was filmed on my friends 8mm...is there any way to get it onto computer other than him hooking his camera up to the tv, and then recording the video off of the tv onto a digital camera? Also anyone know where I could get it hosted?

Thats pretty funny Hobbz considering my friend that was driving my car was in sixth on the highway, I was screaming at him to downshift the whole time. I have been into modding motorcycles and cars for a long time, sponsored by Stage 6 with my s2k that I had. Custom turbo in an s2k with no cosmetic stuff but I guess I'm a ricer? But thats cool, if thats your attitude after I gave you props for holding your own...so be it. You were the first wrx fella I met here in Jax since I bought mine a few hours earlier, I tried to show some respect but I see how you are. I'm not trying to bash you but you but you do have poor judgement and attitude.
    01' GSXR1K Sold
    02' S2K Turbo Sold 5-24
    04 SLO STI Sold 01/04
    03' Cobra
    Pictures

Originally posted by psi
    Thats pretty funny Hobbz considering my friend that was driving my car was in sixth on the highway, I was screaming at him to downshift the whole time. I have been into modding motorcycles and cars for a long time, sponsored by Stage 6 with my s2k that I had. Custom turbo in an s2k with no cosmetic stuff but I guess I'm a ricer? But thats cool, if thats your attitude after I gave you props for holding your own...so be it. You were the first wrx fella I met here in Jax since I bought mine a few hours earlier, I tried to show some respect but I see how you are. I'm not trying to bash you but you but you do have poor judgement and attitude.

Wow! , your brand new (hours old) STi with an inexperienced driver (kept in in 6th gear) was able to run with a modded WRX.
    Thats impressive.

What may have happend was the STi was definately in 6th gear. All the movement (that Hobbz noticed) was the driver trying to figure out what gear to drop it in. Anyway thats going to really take up time. I know from racing that gear selection is everything. Getting caught in the wrong gear will easily lose you a race.
    Especially in a brand new car (6 speed) where you don't know what gear the car should be in at what speed.

When I get my STi it will take me a while to figure out the proper speed to downshift into what gear. I'm so used to the 5 speed in my WRX.

I think you guys need to go at it again with you behind the wheel. I think that would settle this.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 05-25-2003 at 05:13 AM.

If we ran from a dead stop, I will give it to him, he would win. He said he dropped it at around 5k, I couldn't do that to my car. Never did it in my s2k, probably won't do it in this car either. Definitely up for a run on the highway again. I will admit, my friend did go on honk # 2 though.....
    01' GSXR1K Sold
    02' S2K Turbo Sold 5-24
    04 SLO STI Sold 01/04
    03' Cobra
    Pictures

Originally posted by psi
    If we ran from a dead stop, I will give it to him, he would win. He said he dropped it at around 5k, I couldn't do that to my car. Never did it in my s2k, probably won't do it in this car either. Definitely up for a run on the highway again. I will admit, my friend did go on honk # 2 though.....
    Just to clear something up I wasn't trying to call YOU a ricer because you never told me anything really, I'll edit my original post. It was your friend that was saying that he was in sixth. You were just kinda playing it cool and sitting back. Sorry about the confusion there. But I just can't believe that he was in sixth. Because like I said earlier we should have about the same crank hp, and your sixth is about the same as my fith. And I know my fifth is pathetic! We also clearly saw him shift twice. But I'm not trying to start a war here, no point in making enemies.

...If we ran from a dead stop, I will give it to him, he would win. He said he dropped it at around 5k, I couldn't do that to my car...

Actually you should do better on low end because of the six speed, just like you did last night. If we're looking at a WRX and an STI both with 300 bhp, the longer gears of the WRX will help top end, and the shorter gears of the STI will help low end. And once you get your car broken in you shouldn't have to worry about slipping the clutch as your tranny is much stronger than mine.

psi, why in the hell would you let your friend race your "hours old" STi?

I got three words for ya "BREAK-IN-PERIOD."

Originally posted by psi
    I just sold my S2K a few months ago to get the WRX. I love the pickup of the WRX and the fact that I can actually drive it in winter. But man oh man do I miss that 9,000rpm redline!

psi, that is a nice investment you made, but I have the same question: why no break-in?

Do you have any pics of it yet, cause I would like to them!
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

you can capture it into your computer if you have fire wire or usb using a 'capture box'. they're pretty easy and start around 100$

Originally posted by Kanchou
    you can capture it into your computer if you have fire wire or usb using a 'capture box'. they're pretty easy and start around 100$
    I have a digital camera. But the run was recorded on my friend's 8mm. So basically I'm trying to get the footage from his camera onto mine...then I can load it onto my computer.

Now that I read through all the drama, sounds like it was a fun race! I can't wait to see an STi here in Phoenix AZ.
    293.2 hp to the ground
    267 lb/ft torque to the ground
    VF-30 Setup

Yeah, I know about the break in, like it said in the owners manual, only go past 4 or 5k in emergencies during breaking in. Well, I had a gut gut feeling this was not a completely stock wrx, so this was an emergency to me
    Hobbzz, it's cool, I just took it the wrong way. I am totally against what I call "RICERS". Don't mind some "SHOW" but I would rather go fast than look fast just like you. I actually tried looking into using my stock exhaust with my turbo kit on hte s2000 and a black grill to help hide the intercooler. but anyways, you gonna show up at the Suby dealer next Saturday? They got some STI Regional Tech coming out and a drawing for an STI strut bar plus free food....
    01' GSXR1K Sold
    02' S2K Turbo Sold 5-24
    04 SLO STI Sold 01/04
    03' Cobra
    Pictures

Originally posted by psi
    it's cool, I just took it the wrong way
    Don't worry man, it was my fault for not watching what I was typing. Saturday will be a no-go for me as I have to work. I'm a chef so I work pretty much every saturday! But I do go out to Sonic(tuesdays), Shell (wednesdays), and Shell/OP (saturdays) so we'll run into each other eventually. Later!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast