Anyone ever take on a Z28?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Anyone ever take on a Z28? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was just wondering if anyone here has taken on a Camaro Z28...How did you do, which mods did you ...

Anyone ever take on a Z28?

I was just wondering if anyone here has taken on a Camaro Z28...How did you do, which mods did you have, and how bad of a pull was it?...Or any other similar pulls (I.E. Trans Am, WS6, or SS)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

dependin on the year and such, or auto vs manual, driver skill and such... they should take a stock wrx... probably need mid 13s to keep up with em, which is likely

boost controll
    upipe
    turboback exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

an ls1 trans am or camaro u really wont be able to take in the 1/4 unless there is wheel spin and from a highway hell no!!stock ls1 is about a 13.2 thats crazy!
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Back in the day before I went mod crazy I ran a 2000 SS on the street from a redlight.

Me: Boost controller at 15.5psi, K&N filter.... that's it
    Him: exhaust, headers, slp lid, and descreened MAF

Keep in mind this was on the street so I was able to get a pretty good lead on him through first and the better part of second..... but by the end of third (pretty much the quarter mile) he blew by me and proceeded to put buslengths on me.

To hang with a LS1 consitently you will need an upgraded turbo, etc. The stock TD04 just runs out of steam up top, simple as that. You might occasionaly beat one without a upgraded turbo, like ebrot said but it will depend on the year, auto/manual, etc.

Now they are a pretty good match for me. I've beaten most but beware of the guys who like to throw 100-150 shots of nitrous at that 5.7L
    Last edited by silverscooby; 05-24-2003 at 05:33 PM.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

I took an 84 Z28 and an 87 RS... does that count?
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

From a stop a beat a newer (01?) to 70 twice pretty easy with a TXS Stage II.

I am not at all timid when I see Z28's on the road. I'll go after them from a stop or from a roll... but then, one can get that way driving a WRX when there is a snail under your hood strapped to the side of your engine with the word "PE1820" etched on the label
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

WRX vs LS1 z28

0-60mph - stock vs stock very close race. Then after 60mph the Z28 will pull way hard

1/8 mile race (0-80mph). Slightly modded WRX (boost controller + exhaust) can beat a z28. I did it all the time at our local 1/8 mile. At the 1/8 mile mark the z28 will be coming on strong and pass you.

1/4 mile race. You will need a Turbo XS stage 2 setup (chip, exhaust, boost controller). With stage 2 setup you can beat stock LS1s. I beat 4 different LS1's one day at Bradenton Speedway with a stage 2 setup. I was running 13.3s-13.4s

From a roll at speeds over 60mph (on the highway) you will need a turbo upgrade package (stage 4 example). I've had 2 races from a roll against LS1 z28s in the last month. I raced an 01 LS1 Z28 from a 3rd gear roll (60mph) up to 120mph and I had close to a 2 car lead at the end. So a WRX with a turbo upgrade can definately beat a LS1 from a roll. If your a good driver and know how to launch a WRX with a turbo upgrade you will easily beat a stock LS1 in a 1/4 mile race. I usually destroy them in stop light to stop light encounters on the street.

So if your WRX is stock keep the race to 60mph. If you have a boost controller and exhaust, keep the race to an 1/8 mile (80mph or so) If you have a stage 2 setup , keep the race to a 1/4 mile. And if you have a turbo upgrade setup - have fun- you should be able to beat a stock LS1 at almost anything except for top speed 150mph+.

Good summary/write-up, SGOSWRX!
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

i took an lt1 from a roll, not by much, only about 1 car length. at the moment i had uppipe, airbox hack, 3" catback exhaust, boostcontroller at 16psi, ground, and 3/16th mod. im automatic too, but if u all dont believe me its fine, i had another wrx right behind me that saw the race and can verify my win.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

I sold an '00 Z28 6sp for my WRX. It had only a borla catback and a lid/kn filter and the car was a beast. If your WRX is stock, I probably wouldnt bother. You'd be able to get ahead with a good launch in 1st gear, but the Z28 would reel you back in quick. Mine used to kick the a$$ end out and burn the tires a bit hitting 3rd gear.
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.