WRX compared to a mustang (overall, quality, etc..)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX compared to a mustang (overall, quality, etc..) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone. I currently have a mustang, v6, and it is what i got from my parents, but i have ...

WRX compared to a mustang (overall, quality, etc..)

Hey everyone. I currently have a mustang, v6, and it is what i got from my parents, but i have always wanted a WRX even before i got the stang. I do love stangs, but im so tired of seeing them everywhere, and every v6 is driven by a girl or mom.....Also, im beginning to hate the interior, its so junky and plasticky, and is very uncomfortable. The seatbelts dont even work to well, they always tangle up. Im thinking about getting a WRX sometime, and want to know how it compares, if anyone has had both or driven a v6 stang before. I only have dual exhaust and K&N filter on my car, so im probably not even getting 200hp at the crank. How much faster will the WRX feel? Does the interior look/last better and have better feel to it? Also, my stang has been pretty reliable (it only has 22k miles anyway) but will the WRX be just as reliable and have no problems? Just voice your opinions on the WRX vs the mustang overall.....even price (only paid 15000 for mine, 2002 zinc yellow manual, no options tho) thanks so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

WRX vs. V6 mustang is like comparing a Tag to a Timex (watches). The WRX outclasses it in every category. I personally love the interior on WRX's, the seats are incredible, the power is pretty great, awd, and not seen everywhere. The Mustang is underpowered, cheaply done up on the interior, has terrible seating position, and everyone has one. I dont mind Mustangs, Im just saying how it is. The two cars are in a complete different class in every sense. The GT mustangs will be about the same with WRXs stock for stock from what Ive seen personally and read on here and on stangnet. The V6's cant hold their own. 22k vs. 15k (you got a great price) though.
    I have an eclipse. It is slow. Please don't hate me for driving such a car, I really want a WRX. Please buy me a WRX, Ill be your friend.

pm ebr0t he had a v6 mustang righ tbefore his wrx. he can tell u anything u wanna know.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

i had a v6 mustang convert, too.

Hated the monkey. Convertable is not enough reason to get a car for me.

Pull on it is laughable, and turning radius is AWFUL. Parking it was such a pain in tight aisles.

and i hear you about the cheapness of the interior.

if felt very. . .hollow. . .

My girlfriend has a red 2002 GT 5-speed. Its allright, a nice looking car (she has the gray upgraded wheels). It has decent power and is fairly fun to drive. The interior is sh!t though. The seats suck and the quality of the plastic and materials is really low grade. It has only 4000 miles and she is already looking to trade it in. We test drove a fully loaded Mazda 6 with the 5-speed yesterday and she liked that alot. I hope she gets it, that was a REALLY nice car for $26,000!
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

Out of all of the cars I have been in, Mustangs are up top on the list of "Cars that are just downright uncomfortable to be in"
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02
    pm ebr0t he had a v6 mustang righ tbefore his wrx. he can tell u anything u wanna know.
    w00t thats me...

Power: The rex CRUSHES the mustang in every aspect of power here (mine was an auto, but still doesnt matter) but i really dont think this was really a question... If you want to see a modded wrx (upipe downpipe, boost controller) and what it can do against your stang, im in orlando, send me a pm and well see whats up, or look for this thing driving around (i live in lake mary)

Interior: I didnt have that much of a problem with the interior of my mustang, but its absolutly nothing compared to the rex. the only thing better in the interior is that the cup holder in the mustang can hold a huge slurpee and the wrx cannot. Seats are more comfortable, 6 disc in dash changer. HOWEVER, the AC on the rex cannot compare with the blizzard that the mustang would create (my mustang was black) Once again, if you want to really compare them, pm me.

The ride quality: REX hands down here again, my mustang was just plain scarey in the rain to be in (completely stock mind you) my rex feels much much much more sure footed in that area, rain or dry.

If ya need any other aspects just lemme know and i'd be glad to help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn0574.jpg  
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

what year v6 do you have??

and plus you can't really compare mustangs in general to anything if you only have a v6 (no offense)

but i drove to texas (from jersey) in a mustang and i didn't really have any problems with comfort or sleeping (but then again i fell asleep next to a roller coaster once)

but if you want to compare the mustang v6 (if you're talking 99+) to other domestic v6's than they're not bad. they're quicker than both the t/a and camaro v6's

from driving both a wrx(robpa's so a quick one mind you) and a mustang, i can say they both have their own fun factors. a mustang is going to give you way more torque than a wrx is but there's always fun in driving an awd car.

for me the big thing is price. if you are planning on modding than its important if you want to leave everything stock than what i'm about to say is pointless. but if you look at the prices for aftermarket parts for both cars, the mustang parts are going to run you a lot cheaper than wrx parts. (especially fox bodies) a fox body you can land in the low 11's for under 5 grand. i know when rob was modding his car things were starting to get wayyyyyyyyy too expensive and when compared to mustang parts the wrx parts were 2x as much if not more.

personally i'd stick with a mustang but that's just me because i'm a mustang chick. buy a fox body, throw a blower on it some gears a nice exhaust and some slicks and have yourself a ball for VERY cheap (ask robpa he converted and is pretty happy with his car)
    Last edited by silvernotch; 05-25-2003 at 08:12 PM.
    <--Robpa's woman
    1986 Mustang LX Notch
    "The Pissing Pony Project"
    351w sportsman w/T-trim

click here for my ricer page <-updated 2/24

i hear ya on the interior quality. I'll be the first to admit that mustangs are pretty cool looking, especially the new GTs, Mach1s and SVTs, but jeeezloweeez - the interior downright sucks!

The seats suck (no support), the dashboard sucks (too plasticky) and the shifter especially sucks (placement too far forward into the transmission tunnel, neccessitating the curved-back shifter).

The mustang suffers from classic American Car-itis, nifty looking exterior but horrendous interior.

GM is probably the worst offender of them all. Don't believe me? Just look at the special ed buttons and dials on almost any GM car radio.

So go get yourself an WRX or an STi, and feel that soft-touch plastic on the dash. It exemplifies the difference between a $15,000 american muscle car and a $25,000 japanese rally car.

Talk about day and night...

I don't think you can mention a mustang and a WRX in the same sentence, oh wait I just did (that hurt a lot!).
    --Jared

go fast, take the apex(no matter what)

Mustangs are definitely inefficient, but just imagine if they could drop their v-8 into a car the size of a WRX.

Can you say shredded tires? lol.

Hey, didn't the Ford Cosworth Rally cars from back in the 80s have a set up similar to the current WRX?

I think I remember how they used to eat up the rally competition with their AWD and turbo power, but their price tag was too steep for the U.S.

Originally posted by jar_e_d sti
    Talk about day and night...

I don't think you can mention a mustang and a WRX in the same sentence, oh wait I just did (that hurt a lot!).
    yeah and we all know what happened when we combined them in a user name
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Originally posted by silvernotch
    what year v6 do you have??

but if you want to compare the mustang v6 (if you're talking 99+) to other domestic v6's than they're not bad. they're quicker than both the t/a and camaro v6's

Ok, like i said at the bottom of the first post, a 2002 stang, lol so im already wanting to change cars.......anyway, what you said about the t/a's and camaro v6's isnt true. My stang cannot even KEEP up with either of those, my friend had a completely stock v6 camaro and its pretty fast, much better than mine. They come with i think 200 or 205 hp, and my mustang only has 193 and is heavier. Ive even raced many of them and its pathetic, they beat me lol....thanks everyone for the answers, anything is appreciated!

Originally posted by drbyers
    Mustangs are definitely inefficient, but just imagine if they could drop their v-8 into a car the size of a WRX.

they did

each car weighs about 2700-2800lbs which is a lot less than a wrx
    <--Robpa's woman
    1986 Mustang LX Notch
    351w sportsman w/T-trim

Originally posted by jfandem
    Ok, like i said at the bottom of the first post, a 2002 stang, lol so im already wanting to change cars.......anyway, what you said about the t/a's and camaro v6's isnt true. My stang cannot even KEEP up with either of those, my friend had a completely stock v6 camaro and its pretty fast, much better than mine. They come with i think 200 or 205 hp, and my mustang only has 193 and is heavier. Ive even raced many of them and its pathetic, they beat me lol....thanks everyone for the answers, anything is appreciated!
    well it was probably the sn95 94-98 styles where i read that. i honestly don't remember. but my point is don't compare a mustang in general to another car without really driving a "real" mustang its like comparing a generalizing all wrx's when you drive an rs.
    <--Robpa's woman
    1986 Mustang LX Notch
    351w sportsman w/T-trim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast