Road Rage: Civic vs WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Road Rage: Civic vs WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I almost had an "incident" with one angry Civic driver yesterday. BTW, I'm in So Cal. I was exiting from ...

Road Rage: Civic vs WRX

I almost had an "incident" with one angry Civic driver yesterday. BTW, I'm in So Cal.

I was exiting from the I-10 W freeway on Del Mar and this Civic followed me off the freeway yelling/honking at me, speeding up, suddenly stopping, squealing his tires, almost hitting my car, then stopping with tires squealing, etc.

From what I understand, I supposedly had cut him off while exiting and he needed to make a point.

We stopped traffic like 6 times when he got in front of me, trying to intercept and stop my car. He would do a half turn and stop in the middle of the street (blocking everyone in traffic). Since he had a Civic, there was plenty room to just go around him, so I figured that would be best. When he was beside me, I asked him what his problem was and what he wanted me to do. I didn't get an answer, just more obscenities and more dangerous chicken games with our cars.

On the Valley intersection ahead, I was in front on the right lane on a red light. There was already a car on the left and he was behind me. I waited for the light to turn and for the driver on the left to speed up, then I sped up and merged in front of the driver on the left (single lane on Del Mar past Valley), trying to put more distance between us. He dangerously tried to merge behind me, but was greeted with another driver directly on his left, but he dangerously forced his was in. We kept going north for a bit, but then suddenly gave up and turned right into another street and left.

I still don't get it. I always look over my shoulders before changing lanes. He must've sped into the lane I was merging into after I looked and didn't want to let me in?

I thought about getting out of the car to settle things in the middle of the street, but decided that damaging my car and/or getting arrested would be bad, so I avoided him as much as possible (his car almost hit my car several times!).

I am really having a bad time with this. I feel like I should've done more to him when he provoked me, but at the same time, felt what I did was the right thing to do, since neither of us got into an accident, and no one got hurt.

What do you think?

tk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Get over it and move on, you live in SoCa, should not come as a big surprise given the billions of drivers.
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

Hey man, just be happy nothing happened to you or your WRX. The guy was definately a jerk and deserves to be sitting in jail making license plates. But he's not. On the other hand, you're not making license plates either. You have a great car, in great shape with no major dents or bent suspension parts.

Enjoy the fact you have a much better car and a much better temper than this jerk.

ALSO:
    Forget about it. Even if you see him again somehow.

I swear to #$d that I saw a case just like this on Judge Joe Brown, but that case ended with a tire iron. Point is, he could have had a tire iron or worse, a gun, so good job staying cool...

I think you stayed real cool considering, I know the adrenaline must have really been flowing.

Fortunately, this doesn't happen too much in Wyoming.

i would have shot him but im from nor cal.

you did the right thing by not stopping...
    dont EVER stop when confronted like that....

the one time i did confront an ass like that... dude ended up with a broken nose and me and my then hubby ended up at the cop shop... not where you want to be (charges were later dropped)

anyway..
    best thing to do is use your cell phone... call 911... tell them you are being assaulted with a vehicle...seriously!!!

or.. if that's not an option...
    pull over into a crowded area such as a supermarket or 7-11 or something.... somewhere where there will be people.... you never know if these morons have guns, knives or what...

best to just try to diffuse the situation and ignore them if you can...

good luck to ya
    Jamie

Had a similar thing happen to me years ago.... Some moron was chasing me and cutting me off and doing the kind of things that happened to you... so what did I do? I just drove to the nearest police station as he was following me. He certainly became less confrontational when we were standing in the police parking lot. Problem solved. Why are some people such psycho's??

There are people out there with big problems with MINUTE hair triggers. Not worth dealing with them.

I've seen similarly angry people (having nothing to do with cars/driving/traffic/road rage) and believe you me no good could have come from dealing with that person.

You did unequivocably the right thing, Bro. Erase any doubts from your mind!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Do a search on i-club if you wanna hear my road rage story. the jist of it is: I did what you did (avoided confrontation) but I decided to put too much room between me and him, pushed too hard and hurt my poor car. I had NO idea what the guy's problem was, and I know EXACTLY what you mean when you say you feel like you should have done more, but we both know that is a REALLY bad idea. People that road rage to this degree (parking in front of you) are either intoxicated, genuinely stupid, or genuinely crazy, none of which is worth your time. And to top off them being stupid crazy and drunk, you would be AMAZED at the number of people that carry guns in their cars, so I think you probably did the right thing avoiding him. All I can say is I UNDERSTAND!! hell, If a shrink heard half the things I wished to do to that guy, I'd be in anger management long enough to mutate into a carebear. I loathed on that night for TOO long. My best advice to you is try to stay busy so you won't think about it until it goes away or you'll probably just BOIL and have a buch of anger with no outlet, which is muy bad.

Next time stop in an alley and take care of your problem with no witnesses. J/K.. you did the right thing. Too many crazy idiots with guns. Im all for having a good ole fashion fist fight but thats too much to ask for. I live in So Cal too and its really not surprising just how many people I know that have had guns pulled on them on the freeway (students, professors, friends etc.) Maybe time to start carrying some kinda protection??
    04 SVT Lightning

you shoulda just blown his doors off, i dont think he coulda kept uo with you, lol
    04 WRX STI w/mods

Originally posted by WRXSTI
    you shoulda just blown his doors off, i dont think he coulda kept uo with you, lol
    I was thinking about the same thing, you should have yelled over and said "catch me if you can!!!" then dust his poor soul
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

Thanks for all your words.

It's always so hard to do the right thing, isn't it?

Unfortunately, I was going home at the time in the middle of rush hour traffic. Bumper to bumper everywhere. I was surprised we didn't hit any other car, while he was making his point.

I bet some people thought it was a movie shoot for the F&F 3.

Thinking back on it... it was kinda spectacular.

It's a Holiday weekend Friday. I feel better already.

tk

Originally posted by SubieGalRacing

anyway..
    best thing to do is use your cell phone... call 911... tell them you are being assaulted with a vehicle...seriously!!!

I've done this when a van tried to run me off the road. I then followed from a distance while I spoke to the 911 operator. The van then pulled over on the freeway and let me pass because he/she knew I was on the phone by then and he/she was trying to hide under the bridge.

You did the right thing. This will probably happen more often than we all want it to.

Question for everyone - Do you notice major blind spot mainly on the driver's side? I always look over my shoulder (thank goodness) and see cars there , but not in the mirrors.

Yeah, one of the first things I do when I get behind the wheel of any car is to park somewhere with cars around me and adjust my mirrors for potential blind spots.

A Broadway mirror helps too, but I have the self dimming compass mirror.

But I was brainwashed with the "SMOG" rule of lane changing, ever since Driver's Ed (Signal, Mirror, Over-the-Shoulders, then Go).

I think my Maxima had worse blind spots than the WRX.

tk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.