stage 2 wrx vs 95-99 m3
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on stage 2 wrx vs 95-99 m3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I was on my beloved Berlin Turnpike last night just cruising around. When this black 95-99 BMW comes up ...

stage 2 wrx vs 95-99 m3

So I was on my beloved Berlin Turnpike last night just cruising around. When this black 95-99 BMW comes up next to me. Now since Ive gotten my stage 2 setup I havent lost a race from a roll, and I dont race from a stop (bad for my tranny/clutch). So he wants it and I usually dont race cars Ive already owned but I figured why not. It was so nice and just a bit chilly which is great for our cars. I put it in the usual 2nd gear at about 3700rpms, thats my sweat spot to start in. I let the turbo spool and then were off. I pull on him through second like I do to everyone and then in the middle of third he catches up. Now Im shocked because this has never happned to me yet. He keeps pulling me too. Almost two cars by the time we shut down. WOW. So we get to a light and I figure Im gonna run it of the line. We go and I bang out a slipped 5k launch..ugh on my clutch. So I pull two maybe three cars on him and then by 75mph he pulls me in and starts to own me. When we pulled over he claims he is stock w/only a chip and exhaust. I call the bs flag and tell him to pop the hood. Then I see it. He has a aps, I think thats the name, supercharger running 8lbs of boost. Im like ok, figuring its my stock turbo I congratulate him on his kill and tell him to wait till next week when I put on my vf22 and sti injectors/fuel pump and upgrade my chip to stage 4. Then we will see whos pulling who....One of the best sleeper races Ive been dooked into...Usually its me being the sleeper but not in this case...
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

WRX
    wow! Pretty sweet! He was prolly really shocked when you first pulled a few cars on him.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

you are right 13swrx 2nd gear 40-45 roll is pretty deadly. What are you going to do to your screen name when you go stg 4 vf22? 12secwrx? LOL

silly question but what is APS?
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

My friend has a 99 M3 and I can beat him quite easily from a stop and basically just as easily from 45. I never knew the E36s were considered intimidating.

It also depends on the DRIVER. Both cars are exceedingly nice, but statistically, the BMW M3 is faster off the bat. Owners dont pay the extra 10+ grand for a slower car . Also, the M3 is a naturally aspirated engine, so I wouldn't be VERY surprised if a WRX with a stage-2 charger beats it. It all comes down to the driver....hehehe.

Oh yeah, nice race, It's pretty kewl that you kept up to a M3 with a supercharger! Congrats!

A stock wrx could easily hang w/an e36. My modded one would kill it. Now a new e46 is a diff story. The m3 was supercharged and aps is the company that makes the supercharger. I did some research and apparently hes putting 282whp down w/the kit. So in reality if Im around 240whp then he should have won. OH and yes I will change my name to 12secwrx when I put my new mods in....Then I will gladly hand him his ass and take mine back....
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

A stock wrx will be ahead of an e36 M3 only off the line. You need to be at TurboXS Stage 2 if you want to have a chance against one from a roll. You need Stage 4 to take an e46 from a roll....
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

So w/the stage 4 setup I should pull a new m3....Nice...now is that w/the stock intercooler...Im going to run my stock one for now....What kind of whp do you think I will get...
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

13secwrx, if he had a supercharger, you should have heard it when he was on it. Superchargers are pretty loud! I know I used to own a GSR with Jackson Racing supercharger. First and second gear was weak but third, forth, and fifth gear was deadly. Good run!

Originally posted by jigga
    A stock wrx will be ahead of an e36 M3 only off the line. You need to be at TurboXS Stage 2 if you want to have a chance against one from a roll. You need Stage 4 to take an e46 from a roll....
    When I had only exhaust mod's, I could run even with an e36 M3 from a roll. A Stage 2 should be able to pull on an e36 M3.
    2002 WRX WRB

Originally posted by Rich10
    When I had only exhaust mod's, I could run even with an e36 M3 from a roll. A Stage 2 should be able to pull on an e36 M3.
    You are right about a stock WRX hanging with an E36 M3. I have many friends who have M3s. I've raced my friend's stock E36 with my Stock WRX. Racing from a 2nd gear roll, we are head to head all the way through the end of 3rd, once I shift to 4th he starts to pull on me little by little. We've done this many times, and we got the same results.

Two of my other friends have SC E36 M3s (both Dinan tuned), one has a Powerdyne SC (old setup), and one has a Vortech SC (new setup). They are both running between 6-7PSI, the Vortec one dynoed at 270WHP, but for some reason he has trouble pulling on a STOCK M3.. The one with the Powerdine SC ran 14.2s, and 14.0s at the track which does not make sence, because my other friend ran a 14.0 with his stock M3. They both ran at Sacramento Raceways on the same day. It was really funny, you guys should have seen his face after he got a 14.2, and my friend with the stock one ran a 14.0. The people at the track were like: "Soooooo which one is SC?" and we are like: "uhhh......the one that ran a 14.2" LOL

Anyways , if any of you guys (modded WRXs) want to race my friends car, send me a P.M. The SC M3 beats me just as bad as a stock one, so a modded WRX shouldn't have too much of a problem with it.
    Last edited by AWD Turbo 4; 05-25-2003 at 01:17 PM.

Originally posted by Rich10
    TurboXS's stage 2 package consists of exhaust mods..... more specifically, a turboback exhaust, and a unichip/utec that is tuned to take advantage of the increased flow and boost.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Originally posted by jigga
    TurboXS's stage 2 package consists of exhaust mods..... more specifically, a turboback exhaust, and a unichip/utec that is tuned to take advantage of the increased flow and boost.
    The UTEC (which adjusts boost to 16.5psi up from 14.5 stock IIRC, timing and fueling) gives much more power than just the exhaust mod's alone. In my experience, a WRX with exhaust mod's will run even with an e36 M3. With the added power allowed with the UTEC, I think that the Stage 2 would pull away.
    2002 WRX WRB

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.