Reasons for S4 ground superiority
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Reasons for S4 ground superiority within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Some of the reasons why I prefer the S4 over the WRX: Despite what some of the magazines say, the ...

Reasons for S4 ground superiority

Some of the reasons why I prefer the S4 over the WRX:

Despite what some of the magazines say, the S4 at least matches if not outperforms the WRX in acceleration at lower speeds and definitely exceeds it at higher speeds. Also, it has a higher top end and is designed to stay there all day if need be. Nice on long jaunts across the desert.

In day to day driving, the torque obviates the need for the downshifting (which the WRX requires) and makes for a more powerful feeling and smoother car. Great for climbing the mountains.

It has less turbo lag and better throttle response, especially noticeable in passing maneuvers where real world performance comes to light

The S4 looks better than the WRX. Females, in particular, repeatedly express their disdain for the appearance of the WRX (i.e. the scared catfish look). Not meaning to be disrespectful here but, sorry, that's what they say.

It is built stronger and better able to protect the occupant in crashes, roll-overs, etc. Also, it has better airbag protection (side curtains as well as front). The car is eminently survivable as evidenced by crashes at well over 100 mph where the occupants walked away vs. fatalities which have already been documented in WRXs at lower speeds. To me, the car isn't important ... my life is. One's replaceable, one's not.

Galvanized metal construction with higher quality German steel and a superior corrosion warranty means better rust protection.

The interior is sumptious, the best in the business. If you want to impress a new girlfriend, do you take her to McDonald's or the best French restaurant in town? 'Nuff said.

The car is smoother and quieter. They don't call it "The Silken Rocket" for nothing. Much more enjoyable to take on a long, cross-country trip.

The ultimate tuning potential of the S4 is greater with a stronger block and transmission. 400+ HP kits are now hitting the market with 450 *reliable* HP very obtainable.

The 6 speed means quieter, more economical high speed cruising.

The quattro AWD system is slightly superior to the fluid coupled system of the WRX. With the slightly better AWD system and the heavier weight, the S4 has been shown to be a superior handler in the snow and ice.

The S4 is a better winter car in other ways. It has heated seats, heated mirrors, heated doorlocks, and heated windshield washer nozzles as well as a superior climate control/heating system. Extremely comfortable with completely clear windows in the nastiest weather. In addition, the ski sack means I can fit my skiis *inside* the car.

I like the look and visibility conferred by the Xenon headlights with nighttime high speed driving. I also like the rear fog lights (an excellent deterrent to tailgaters).

I like the smell and feel of a leather interior and the easy adjustability of the power seats.

Although it's a hot running engine, the dual fans ensure that this engine never, ever overheats in summertime stop-and-go traffic.

The car has a prestige aspect. Business clients are more impressed and valets treat the car with more respect than cheaper Japanese cars.

No insults meant for the WRX which is an excellent car for the money but I think you folks overlook *all* the reasons why S4 owners buy their cars. It isn't just 0-60 and 1/4 times and price.
    To each their own.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Reasons for S4 ground superiority

Originally posted by Whooosh
    Despite what some of the magazines say, the S4 at least matches if not outperforms the WRX in acceleration at lower speeds and definitely exceeds it at higher speeds. Also, it has a higher top end and is designed to stay there all day if need be. Nice on long jaunts across the desert.
    WRONG. Period. Meet me at the track and I'll show you what a WRX will do to your S4. Who said the WRX can't drive across the desert with the cruise control set at 89mph?

In day to day driving, the torque obviates the need for the downshifting (which the WRX requires) and makes for a more powerful feeling and smoother car. Great for climbing the mountains.

It has less turbo lag and better throttle response, especially noticeable in passing maneuvers where real world performance comes to light.
    This is nothing that a $200 downpipe can't fix. Or the six speed tranny on the STILL LESS EXPENSIVE STi model.

The S4 looks better than the WRX. Females, in particular, repeatedly express their disdain for the appearance of the WRX (i.e. the scared catfish look). Not meaning to be disrespectful here but, sorry, that's what they say.

The interior is sumptious, the best in the business. If you want to impress a new girlfriend, do you take her to McDonald's or the best French restaurant in town? 'Nuff said.
    My car has been called "cute" by EVERY chicky that looks at it. My g/f personally thinks flat German seats are a ugly and uncomfortable. Most WRX owners don't have to impress women with their car.

It is built stronger and better able to protect the occupant in crashes, roll-overs, etc. Also, it has better airbag protection (side curtains as well as front). The car is eminently survivable as evidenced by crashes at well over 100 mph where the occupants walked away vs. fatalities which have already been documented in WRXs at lower speeds. To me, the car isn't important ... my life is. One's replaceable, one's not.
    The WRX can support up to three times it own weight on it's roof without intruding on the passenger's cabin. It has front and side airbags and side safety pillars. Where are you getting these safety figures from?

Galvanized metal construction with higher quality German steel and a superior corrosion warranty means better rust protection.
    You are truly diluted if you think "German steel" is better than "Japanese steel." Are you certain that the steel found in the Audi is sourced from Germany? I'm pretty certain that the WRX's steel isn't sourced from Japan.

The car is smoother and quieter. They don't call it "The Silken Rocket" for nothing. Much more enjoyable to take on a long, cross-country trip.

The ultimate tuning potential of the S4 is greater with a stronger block and transmission. 400+ HP kits are now hitting the market with 450 *reliable* HP very obtainable.
    Who calls it the "silken rocket"? You? God's car will have 400+HP soon, so what's the relevance of that argument?

The quattro AWD system is slightly superior to the fluid coupled system of the WRX. With the slightly better AWD system and the heavier weight, the S4 has been shown to be a superior handler in the snow and ice.

The S4 is a better winter car in other ways. It has heated seats, heated mirrors, heated doorlocks, and heated windshield washer nozzles as well as a superior climate control/heating system. Extremely comfortable with completely clear windows in the nastiest weather. In addition, the ski sack means I can fit my skiis *inside* the car.
    "The quattro AWD system is slightly superior" for only ~$20,000 more. WOW!
    Funny, If I skiied, I'm relatively certain that the armrest pass through that I used to pick up my weed eater from Sears would easily hold quite a few skis. If I had the Sportwagon, I could fit just about anything I wanted in the back of my WRX.

I like the look and visibility conferred by the Xenon headlights with nighttime high speed driving. I also like the rear fog lights (an excellent deterrent to tailgaters).

I like the smell and feel of a leather interior and the easy adjustability of the power seats.

Although it's a hot running engine, the dual fans ensure that this engine never, ever overheats in summertime stop-and-go traffic.

The car has a prestige aspect. Business clients are more impressed and valets treat the car with more respect than cheaper Japanese cars.

No insults meant for the WRX which is an excellent car for the money but I think you folks overlook *all* the reasons why S4 owners buy their cars. It isn't just 0-60 and 1/4 times and price.
    To each their own.
    You summed that up nicely. I asked a guy I met recently who traded in his Audi S4 for a WRX why he did it. He said, "The WRX is just different, raw, aggressive." There's the difference between a WRX owner and a S4 owner. Go back to your luxo-camp with your $44,000 car and stop worrying about us piddling troglodytes that choose a Subaru WRX over an overpriced VW.

-Jim

Santa Monica Boulevard (I'm a poor student)
    Shouldn't this be in the tech talk section?
    Moving there now...
    South West Forum Moderator

Working for a 22B or maybe a Legacy STi...one day

I like WRX very much too but its true, the turbo lag is too much.
    When I test drove it, I picked a slight hill deliberately and picked 2nd and it took too long to spool up the boost.

I also tried to WOT at about 35miles at 4th gear (which is the normal gear to use for most manual cars at that speed for cruising) and the car doesn't even respond until about 2 secs later.

From what I have read, the new STI is still very laggy, and perhaps even more so relatively, because the power comes on a lot harded after 4000rpm but below that its not too powerful. But that's only the Aussie Spec STI.

I think WRXs are too heavy for the boxer 2.0L off boost, and the turbo is not ball-bearing so it doesn't spool up fast enough.

The S4 is great and has twin-turbo to compensate for turbo lag but for the money, I would rather buy a slower BMW
    "S15 Silvia - Are you enjoying the view from the side?"

Originally posted by Iruka
    I like WRX very much too but its true, the turbo lag is too much.
    When I test drove it, I picked a slight hill deliberately and picked 2nd and it took too long to spool up the boost.

I also tried to WOT at about 35miles at 4th gear (which is the normal gear to use for most manual cars at that speed for cruising) and the car doesn't even respond until about 2 secs later.

From what I have read, the new STI is still very laggy, and perhaps even more so relatively, because the power comes on a lot harded after 4000rpm but below that its not too powerful. But that's only the Aussie Spec STI.

I think WRXs are too heavy for the boxer 2.0L off boost, and the turbo is not ball-bearing so it doesn't spool up fast enough.

The S4 is great and has twin-turbo to compensate for turbo lag but for the money, I would rather buy a slower BMW
    The S4 is a great car, and I don't think they are in the same league even though they have similar performance. We are strictly speaking about stock vs stock. The S4 will chew up the WRX in a long pull, even though in short distance runs it is relatively close.

you get what you paid for, and for $15K more you are suppose to have all the extras in the S4 that you don't find in the WRX. Subaru isn't a luxury car maker, and so people who knows Subaru don't expect to find the luxury in any of their line ups.

The WRX does not have a twin turbo or a V6. It's little 2.0L engine does wonders with just 1 bar of boost and a low 8:1 compression. The lag is mostly due to the low compression. You have to understand that the WRX was built to meet the FIA rules, and since you can't really modify the engine too much you pretty much have to built a road going version of the WRC car. The 8:1 compression was neccesary in order to run hingher boosts in the WRC car, and they do run in excess of 30+ psi of boost with pretty much the same engine internals used in the STi.

I drive in the mountains quite a bit, and it never lags in second gear. 4th gear maybe, especially if you are running it at 35mph. The long gears are not pulling it as much as it should be, but that is why you have 5 gears to choose from. The WRX is just a representation of the real Impreza powerhouse in Japan, and the STi will make a serious statement once it gets here next year. By then the STi will be on the same level as the M3's for almost $20K less, and with a few grand in mods it will toast many cars costing much more.

Isn't this what they call "trolling"? I don't think I've ever seen someone like this before on this board. Oh yeah, there was that one RSX owner that wanted to take turbo and awd off the WRX. lol

i love that some guy that just bought his $40K car has to come to a WRX forum to make himself feel good about his purchase. why would WE care why YOU like it better? OBVIOUSLY YOU DO!!! YOU bought it. lol

the lag is due to a small turbo trying to pressurize a lot of pipe, and an incredible stupid location for a catalytic converter. you want to spool up sub 2K? spend $200. oh, btw, have another 10-15 hp while your at it.

the s4 seats are horrible. they look cool, but SUCK to sit in. the wrx internals are good over 400 hp too. good job on your research there. talk to godspeed about 500+ kits if you like for a wrx, (on stock internals)

I also tried to WOT at about 35miles at 4th gear (which is the normal gear to use for most manual cars at that speed for cruising) and the car doesn't even respond until about 2 secs later
    is this your first time driving stick? in my 91 corrola, i went into 4th gear at 60. i'm in 4th gear to 110 sometimes in the rex. 35? what were you at? 900 rpms? don't be stupid.

Despite what some of the magazines say, the S4 at least matches if not outperforms the WRX in acceleration at lower speeds and definitely exceeds it at higher speeds
    yeah, the professional drivers at C&D and R&D gor nothing on you!!! who the ***** are you? skip barber?

My car has been called "cute" by EVERY chicky that looks at it. My g/f personally thinks flat German seats are a ugly and uncomfortable. Most WRX owners don't have to impress women with their car.
    i get a lot of compliments and looks from girls. taste shouldn't be part of the discussion here, becasue it's subjective. is this your first intelligent conversation too?

both companies buy there steel from the same place. the GOOD OLD USA. you're a moron. are you making this stuff up?

as for all the uptions, like heated everything, rear fogs etc, and even the "slightly better" AWD system, that's what you paid for. compare things on an apple to apple basis. i got auto dimming shi+, but i don't tout it against my mom's little integra GS. she got what she paid for in amenities too. the fact is, you got ripped off. don't come here to cry about it. if i had 45: to spend on a car, i'd buy a dynan tuned M3. where would your s4 be then? that N/A hp would leave you choking. you're a loser. now get out of here

<dusting off hands>

dR

Ditto dark_rex Big Dog!!!!!!!
    woof woooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Go home loser, you got ripped the f^%K off!
    No crying on this site chump!
    VW's suck!
    Plat you told that fool good and if he responds then he is a true idiot, because there is absolutely not a damn logical thing he can say back to either of you guys.
    End of discussion!

good job moderator for not letting this thread turn into name calling and flame throwing contest. ( you know what I am talking about moderator )

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by dark_rex
    i love that some guy that just bought his $40K car has to come to a WRX forum to make himself feel good about his purchase.
    right on!

one point i want to make here, which should clear up a lot of discussion between the s4 and WRX:

the s4 costs some 15-20k MORE than the WRX!!!!!!!!! someone tell me, why do you feel so cool about having a car that is minimally better than a car that costs 15thousand less than yours??? if i bought an s4, i would damn well expect it to do well, if not better than the wrx, cause i paid friggin 40k for it!!!

why brag about the s4? in fact, by doing so, you only enhance the coolness of the wrx. since the wrx competes with it quite well, that means that a 'lil old subaru must be very well built to roll with a performance audi.

essentially, if you had 45k to spend on a car, you could either buy an s4 and keep it stock (cause you wouldn't have any money left), or buy a wrx and mod the hell out of it

so its great that audi makes a car thats sooo much "better" than the wrx, but if it costs nearly twice as much, WHY SHOULDN'T it be????

Just one more thing to add....

I don't see any audis winning WRC titles anymore--wat happpened

'02 WRX Sport Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    Godspeed Uppipe
    K&N filter
    Synthetic Oil
    more to come

Hey Woosh,

What's amatta? Your $44,000 car feel like it has a small penis now that the WRX is in town? There's plenty of people on this forum who will pull up head to head with you on the dessert or the local drag strip.

As far as overlooking the reasons S4 owners buy their cars, it wasn't anyone in this group that compared the WRX to your precious S4. Go talk to C&D, R&T, Motortrend and the other various car magazines that basically said our car can't be compared to the class it's in because it out performs the classes above it.

As far as the chix go, most usually say. "It's not size or price that matters, it's the performance."

I don't think I want a chick that looks at my car and wallet to determine my performance rating...you can keep those b*tches.

You know what...nobody's gotten their ass handed to them yet. But you would if I raced you at a light...unless you're the jackass person who has the sweet 10 sec ride and is bragging that you can beat a chipped s4...that type of car shouldn't even belong in your hands. That's what you can get though for 20 some large...is a little scoobie wrexie that every one and their brother has. Then you too can join the crowd of ninja's who think their car is the king of the road.

BTW...I absolutely love the seats in my s4...much more comfy in comparison to the wrx seats and obviously much more durable...IMHO.

The WRX is a sweetass car and for the money a great value. The S4 is a beautiful car with many unique traits in comparison to the WRX. You can't compare the two really...unless your the idiot trying to justify your 20 grand expense with the fact that your piece of metal and plastic can beat the metal and plastic of a 40 thousand dollar car. Which isn't exactly true in itself...cause someone's been duped! And that's coming from the highest source.

Have a splendid night all.
    Gin and Tonic Demonic!

It all boils down to how much can you afford. If I could of afforded the S4 I would of got one. I couldn't so the next best thing for me was the wrx. Sure it is not as refined as the S4 and might not be as fast mod for mod but thats okay. I'm happy with the wrx as I'm sure you s4 owners are with your car.
    Boost controller, K&N
    1/4 14.09 @ 95.10
    Girlfriends rsx-s
    1/4 15.40 @ 92.21

aod
    Looks like someone's ego is hurt. Is your penis feeling smaller wrx_killers4? Awwwwww.. Yes, it's a conspiracy! Professional drivers from 4 different magazines all conspired against the S4 and actually LIED about the performance results! Whatever man. Apples to apples performance wise, letsee what a $45,000 WRX can do to a $45,000 S4.

Oh yeah, and that is if your overpriced VW can keep the hoses from blowing apart or can keep from shorting out anything because of it's awesome *cough cough* engineering. I've converted from the VW camp because my Corrado was such a POS. I couldn't be happier with my car purchase now. It doesn't overheat - the Corrado did with it's 2 electrical fans. It also doesn't blow hoses apart at $100+ per retarded octopus-looking moulded hose every month or two like my Corrado did. And it has 0 electrical problems - something I can't say for the Corrado since it developed electrical problems that noone could seem to fix after 2 months after I bought it. I've heard the same stories from MANY VW/Audi owners. I'm going to be the one pointing and laughing at you when I'm passing by you on the freeway in my WRX and you are stranded because your overpriced VW took a crap on you. After your car leaves you stranded a few times, you'll probably convert as well.
    Last edited by PlatinumWRX; 02-25-2002 at 07:25 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.