Stage 4 question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stage 4 question within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ok, I need to know how to launch my car... I have a stage 4 plus in my car(see my ...

Stage 4 question

ok, I need to know how to launch my car...

I have a stage 4 plus in my car(see my sig), and I am afraid to launch my car hard off the line....meaning dropping the clutch and getting a good reation time...

so here is my question to you people that have a stage 3 and above kits.....

how do you launch without detonating your tranny....my biggest fear!!!!

I dont have the money to put into a new tranny and I am being asked to race at the track against some friends....I want some ammo when I get to the tree....

I know how to launch a car, and I launch about 2000 to 2500 when I regularly drive my car......Will this be good enough off the line, being that I have a vf30 turbo, with a big amount of lag on the bottom end(as you know it doesnt come alive until 3700 rpm).

Let me know....

Thanks
    Stage IV+
    Going for 11's

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I usually rev her up to 4500 then SLIP the clutch out. The best 60 ft times usually result from that.

Detonating drivetrains usually come from clutch drops or sidesteps. You cant do that in an AWD car.

NEVER EVER EVER drop your clutch from ANY RPM.
    Last edited by Butterfingers; 05-16-2003 at 07:25 PM.

Search SGOSWRX posts, he has pretty good technique all backed by his stories!
    04 SVT Lightning

just a thought...

what worked well for me (at 7000ft. in wyoming!) was driving straight through the burnout box. it seems strange but let me finish.

i was really down on power there, and it seemed like no matter what i tried the car would fall on it's face. then i decided to drive strait through the water box, this allowed just enough tire spin. launching at about 4800rpm, just slightly slipping the clutch the tires spun for a hot second, and no more lag!

if pro's are at the track, they will probably not take kindly to the water at the line ( it's not like you drive through a lake!) but it helped me there. on a grudge night the line will probably be wet anyways. or worse oily!

p.s.

i was not trying to do burnouts in the box, i was driving around the water completely. thought to add that before i sound like a tool!

You can't get a proper launch in a WRX at 2k rpms. The car will either bogg (letting out the clutch quickly) or the car will leave the line slowly ( slowly slipping out the clutch).

The best way to launch a WRX is to work the tach between 4-5k and then quickly let out the clutch and completely floor the gas at the same exact time. The secret is to let out the clutch quickly and FLOOR THE GAS ALL THE WAY at the same exact time.

If you let out the clutch to slowly the engine will most likely over rev and you will smoke the clutch (glaze the clutch). The clutch needs to be slipped out very fast. You don't have to dump it but slip it out real fast.

Just remember, rev to 4.5-5k, quickly slip out the clutch, COMPLETELY FLOOR THE GAS at the same exact time, and HOLD ON.

You need to practice and get a good feel for how the car leaves the line. I used to go to a empty road and just practice. I practiced until I had it down perfect. Now it just come natural without even thinking.

Thanks guys...this helps alot....

I will try some of your techniches and find out what works best

Thanks again!!!!
    Stage IV+
    Going for 11's

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.