new sti vs. evo comparison

This is a discussion on new sti vs. evo comparison within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys, go to www.caranddriver.com and check out their lead story. It shows a comparison test of the new sti ...

new sti vs. evo comparison

hey guys,

go to www.caranddriver.com and check out their lead story.

It shows a comparison test of the new sti vs. the evo. The evo edges the sti out because of its superquick steering, but the sti wins hands down in every other area, especially acceleration (0-60 in 4.6 seconds. the evo was almost half a second quicker).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for posting a link to that article, hadn't seen it before.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Re: new sti vs. evo comparison

Originally posted by drbyers
    hey guys,

go to www.caranddriver.com and check out their lead story.

It shows a comparison test of the new sti vs. the evo. The evo edges the sti out because of its superquick steering, but the sti wins hands down in every other area, especially acceleration (0-60 in 4.6 seconds. the evo was almost half a second quicker).

You ment to say the STi was nearly a 1/2 second quicker.
    The best part is the STi gets to 130mph a full 4 seconds faster. You need to understand how huge 4 seconds is at 130mph. The STi is much faster top end.

No matter what the mags say or don't say the STi is going to be faster in a straight line. It makes more HP and torque with the same weight as the EVO. It's also going to make a much better daily driver. The EVO has a lot more lag/slow off boost performance. That shows up well in its poor street start 5-60mph time.

I think it was the Motor Trend article was where they said it takes like 2 seconds for the Evo to come on boost if you're just lugging it around. [Whoops, stand corrected as it is the C&D article that makes mention of the 2 second delay]. I have been seriously going back and forth between these two machines, but I also know that practical every day driveability means you're not always going to be in the power band to take advantage of that boost. As a side note, took a look at an Evo again last week. It is a real drag to go in and only see one (in this case yellow) when I've been trying to see it in silver. I dig most everything about it except for the tail lights and wing (of course not fond of the STi picnic table either but hey, you get what you get eh?).

Of course this is all moot as I'm not buying anything till I get to drive it first. Went through same thing w/ 350Z when looking at them. Not too thrilled about having all of these credit checks just to narrow the field down. And for anyone who's serious about maintaining excellent credit, multiple inquiries seems to be one of the quickest way to drop your score (besides the obvious of just not paying).

T.
    Last edited by Tuco; 05-16-2003 at 03:54 PM.

Good read!
    I still want the STi over EVO.
    Was it just me or did page three repeat itself?

Credit

Tuco,

Why would you let a stealership run your credit if your just test driving. Last time I checked, a test drive was in no way a garantee that you were going to buy the car. Tell those bastages that if they want to sell you a car in the near future, they had better lighten up. Just my 2 cents.

Rhino

I don't know about the rest of the country (or other countries since this board is worldwide), but in California it is illegal to run your credit before test driving.

Hmm, this is very interesting PKer...and if you can point me in the direction of where you got this info from I'd like to review it as I live in SoCal and on two occasions had sales weenies want me to fill out a credit app. One at a BMW dealer (off 5 & 91) and another at (I think) Tustin Nissan.

T.

Originally posted by Tuco
    Hmm, this is very interesting PKer...and if you can point me in the direction of where you got this info from I'd like to review it as I live in SoCal and on two occasions had sales weenies want me to fill out a credit app. One at a BMW dealer (off 5 & 91) and another at (I think) Tustin Nissan.

T.
    Don't subject yourself to filling out credit apps for test drives. I used to be a car salesman and a lot of the cocky sales people do that just to see if you are worth their time. IMO, it's complete BULLSHAT!! Just to let you know, a credit score is based on points. The higher the points, the more credit worthy you are. EVERYTIME someone runs a credit report on you, it's reported to the credit agencies (Experian & TransUnion are the biggest) and you LOSE points off of your score. It's not much, but you still do loose them!! Hope this helps!!

OBTW, I would take an STi!!
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

While the STi is wicked quick right out of the box, imagine it with better boost, say an efficient 18-20 psi like the Evo's.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods