350z vs EVO8 from a roll
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 350z vs EVO8 from a roll within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I read this over in the EVO website. A guy raced a 350z with his new EVO8. They raced from ...

350z vs EVO8 from a roll

I read this over in the EVO website. A guy raced a 350z with his new EVO8. They raced from a 1st gear roll all the way through 4th gear (has to be 100mph+) He said they were dead even/side by side the whole race.

I raced 350z's and I've also seen them at the track. This doesn' t impress me at all. What do you all think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have seen some pretty BAD numbers for the street start (5-60 mph) for the EVO, like mid 6 second times, so it looks like the EVO can be had if you catch it at the right mph. From a stop the 350 would get trounced, and since the STI beat the EVO to 130 by 4 seconds, STI vs 350 = OUCH!!!

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

I also read on another thread that an new EVO beat a M3.

I find that hard to believe.
    Stage IV+
    Going for 11's

From a dead stop the EVO could beat an M3.

average stats for 350Z 0-60 -- 5.5, 1/4 -- 13.8
    average stats for M3 0-60 -- 4.5, 1/4 -- 13.2
    average state for EVO 0-60 -- 4.6, 1/4 -- 13.3

These numbers are just a compilation of what I have seen in magazines, and we all know that magazine racing is for the birds, but it gives a good idea of what would happen. My guess is that EVOs will win most of the time because it is easier to launch an AWD car on the street than a RWD car. So from a stop EVO wins, from a roll M3 owns all.....

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Here is the thread I read on the EVO "killing" the M3

http://www.vividracing.com/cgi-bin/c...=21&thread=207

I call BS!!!
    Stage IV+
    Going for 11's

i raced a stock 350Z from a roll a couple times and pulled on it slowly but steadily. all i had at the time was samco hoses and a mbc. i dont see why an evo wouldnt be able to pull on a 350Z...
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

EVOlution

i know a kid who bought an Evo, and he said it really opened up after 1500 miles, i think the ecu is holding them back when new. was the wrx the same way? i bought mine used with 3600 miles so it was broke in.

Originally posted by Wrinkleboi
    i raced a stock 350Z from a roll a couple times and pulled on it slowly but steadily. all i had at the time was samco hoses and a mbc. i dont see why an evo wouldnt be able to pull on a 350Z...
    o-|-<) bryan

That what I'm saying. A stock WRX is suppose to be just as quick as a 350z in the 1/4 mile. The regular model 350z (non track model) only ran like 14.3 in the 1/4 mile for Car and Driver Mag.

I watched a 350z at the track and he ran low to mid 14s all night. He never once broke into the 13s.

What I think is really funny is the MT time of 13.0 @ 109mph in a stock EVO. That is total bull. My stage 4 only traps 105- 108mph, and I could kill a stock EVO in a race.

I raced a new Z with exhaust and intake at the track the other day and beat him by almost a full second.

My mods: Vishnu DP, TXS uppipe, Prodrive exhaust, Blitz SBC-id
    Catalytic converters are for hippies.

Originally posted by SGOSWRX

What I think is really funny is the MT time of 13.0 @ 109mph in a stock EVO. That is total bull. My stage 4 only traps 105- 108mph, and I could kill a stock EVO in a race.

I remember Shiv saying something about how much power the "test" EVO's made compared to the current production models. He said that must've Mitsu done something to the internals but wasn't for sure as to what (possibly valvetrain, blue printed/balanced, etc etc.).

As far as the 350Z, I've never raced one. There's a guy in my neighborhood that I may ask and see if he'll run it.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

People with EVOs should not be racing yet. Those things just came out, and I doubt these folks have completely broken their cars in.
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

I had 1000 miles on my car in under 2 weeks.

Go to work (in a company van).... come home, change, go for a drive, come home sleep and repeat.

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Akiata
    I had 1000 miles on my car in under 2 weeks.
    I put 520 miles on my car last Saturday! LOL
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Originally posted by Verdugo
    I put 520 miles on my car last Saturday! LOL
    ...thanks to that Olympic Loop, huh?
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    I have seen some pretty BAD numbers for the street start (5-60 mph) for the EVO, like mid 6 second times, so it looks like the EVO can be had if you catch it at the right mph. From a stop the 350 would get trounced, and since the STI beat the EVO to 130 by 4 seconds, STI vs 350 = OUCH!!!

-joe
    The STi needs the rev limiter raised safely and slightly to get to sixty in second gear. Thats what kills the 0-60 times but it beats the EVO in the quarter. As for the STi against the 350, I dont think the 350 has much of a chance.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.