STI or R32...VW Vortex - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI or R32...VW Vortex within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by KanosWRX Sorry to take this off topic, but drizze99 how did you get that much WHP and ...

Originally posted by KanosWRX
    Sorry to take this off topic, but drizze99 how did you get that much WHP and WTQ out of ~3 psi increase over stock boost with a SBC-ID? What did it dyno at stock?
    The advertised psi for this car is 11-15psi, but in reality it was usually at 11.5 for me. It dynoed at 231.7/258.1. Now, when we first started to play with the boost on this car, we completely eliminated the stock solenoid and we were geting same hp (220-230ish) but the torque shot up to 280ish. Then, one of the guys hooked it up differently (incorporating the stock solenoid in the set-up) and the hp shot up to 260ish and the torque to 290ish. Why the stock solenoid wants to see pressure to produce more hp is still a mystery to us. The damn ECU in this car is a SMART ONE!!

Now the TXS SRT-4 replaced the WG with a AGP Turbo WG and their hp shot up to mid 270's on pump and 287ish on 100 octane.

My car was dynoed at TXS and I have been working with Nathan (real cool guy) over there.
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hey Drizze99, you suck . I saw my first SRT4 the other day, happened to be yellow ( I assume yours is too, unless that isn't yours in the avatar). I have been a long time supporter of this car, and I can finally say that at least after seeing it, I am not disappointed. It is no doubt, not your ordinary Neon. It looks more powerful, more agressive, and even has a richer look to it. Now that I know they are in my area, I will have to go to the dealer and check it out. Awesome looking car IMHO.

Originally posted by droogie
    Are they talking about the VW GOLF R32? It does 0-60 in 6.5 secs.
    From a performance perspective, the VW RE32 seems to have more in common with a base WRX than an STi.
    2002 WRX WRB

VW's only german characteristic is the incredibly high cost of repairs.
    You can say that again. They wanted 350 bucks for a tune up on my wifes Jetta. I bought the shop manual and the only part that needs replacing at her mileage level is plugs...PLUGS!!!!

Those VR6's are heavy, I don't care how you spin it. Putting it in a smaller car screws up the weight distribution. I'll say this for the R32, I do like the hot hatch look, hopefully this will entice more manufacturers to bring over their offerings.
    Last edited by koji; 05-15-2003 at 10:43 AM.

SBW
    maybe people should consider the srt-4 before an R32?

I know I've told many of my friends who are looking for a fast car to look into srt-4's. Anyone know if dodge is mod friendly with mopar and will still honor the warranty if mopar aftermarket parts are used?

Koji - My previos lowered vr6 used to look like a dog running around sniffing the road all the time because it was so nose heavy.
    Last edited by SBW; 05-15-2003 at 09:52 AM.

2001S4, yeap that's my baby!!
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

I spend a fair amount of time on the vortex. The car lounge is pretty good normally.

The current assesment of the R32 is that the 0-60 numbers don't tell the whole story of what a well sorted out car it is. It is common for members to liken it to an E36 M3. I think that is a little bit of a stretch.

It looks like a nice car but I think that VW is a day late and a few dollars high for this car. It's performance is on par with the now discountinued Acura CL type S or the current Accord coupe 6spd. V6.

It is not even close to being in the same league as an STI. But I don't think many people will actually cross shop the cars.

Here is where I feel the problem will be. The car competes $ wise with an excellent group including the TT, 350Z, G35, Crossfire (when it gets here), 323, MB Kompressor coupe etc. I think that it is outclassed for the most part. I expect that the buyers will be hardcore VW fans who want this because it is the baddest VW made. (Nothing wrong with that). I don't expect that this car will bring over any new VW buyers the way and EVO, SRT-4 or STI will for their respective companies. There are current order lists with VW dealers but the expected delivery is 12/03 or later.

Add on top of this the mediocre VW reliablity (esp. as of late) and the horrible dealership experience.

I am glad however to see VW making some waves.

If they offered this car without some of the $ markup items ie. big wheels, body kit and put a 1.8t instead of a 3.2 VR6 in it then I think they would have a homerun on their hands if they could price it in the 25-27k range.
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

R32 doesn't even compare that well to the standard WRX. It's not even in the same league as the STi.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

Read that thread, some pretty sharp folks over there.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

The fact that the R32 is edging out the STi tells you everything you need to know about the bias over there

Jimbo

Jimbo, I agree with what you say but I would put another spin on it.

The fact that the poll is so close shows how much respect is given to the STI.
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

Originally posted by Jimbo
    The fact that the R32 is edging out the STi tells you everything you need to know about the bias over there

Jimbo
    Woah, take a step back and look at what you wrote. The fact that most of the people here are saying that the R32 is not a worthy oponent for even the WRX says all you need to know about the bias over here. EVERY board will have a more bias opinion. That is just a fact of life. If they made a car with the STI's performance combined with the looks of the R32, inside and out, that would be the car to get IMHO.

The only thing I envy about the R32 (as well as all of the other VW products) are the cupholders... as silly and stupid as that sounds... I would trade my WRX cup holders in a second... what a headache they are.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

Originally posted by STIwish
    The only thing I envy about the R32 (as well as all of the other VW products) are the cupholders... as silly and stupid as that sounds... I would trade my WRX cup holders in a second... what a headache they are.

Originally posted by STIwish
    So dont drink in your car....lol

Va_WRx - Very inciteful response, I liked your views and the way u put it.....I applaude you for your intelligence

Late
    Stage IV+
    Going for 11's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.