automatic wrx vs. marked police car
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on automatic wrx vs. marked police car within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; got a fricken ticket for squeeling my tires as i came around into a parking lot. i squeeled my tires, ...

automatic wrx vs. marked police car

got a fricken ticket for squeeling my tires as i came around into a parking lot. i squeeled my tires, the lot was not full, and i had to do a 100plus degree turn into the lot with some guy tailing me. im doing about 15mph, have my light on, guy isnt slowing down, just on my ass(happens all the time, people need to learn to drive), and i slow down a bit and take the turn. my tires squeeled for about a second as i came into the lot, and i parked. turned off my car, and half opened my door when a cop in his car flies by me and tells me to sit tight, and that 'he heard it'. hehe, he heard me squeel my tires. lets see, all season tires, nokian wrs(very very noisy), and dry dry new pavement(black top look-like). what the heck? the city is out to get me, they hate me. i have one ticket on my record(the rest, which is one other one has been dropped because of supervision that i had), speeding ticket which im still doing probation/supervision for. finished my 8hours of driving school, 20 hours of community service, and payed my 500 bucks already, just havent finished my 1 year probation(im at 6months). im going to fight this ticket, because if not, i might loose my license for a bit, or maybe something else.

anybody know more about such a ticket???

peter
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My position would be that the parking lot is private property and thus not under the control of traffic laws. It would be like getting a speeding ticket in your driveway.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Originally posted by John M
    My position would be that the parking lot is private property and thus not under the control of traffic laws. It would be like getting a speeding ticket in your driveway.
    Yeah it is private property but if the violation occurs just before you enter the property, then they can cite you. I used to work mall security (oh yeah!) and saw this a few times. They would even set up camp on mall property and get people turning on a double solid. I think thats traffic cop is pretty desperate to get some stubs.
    04 SVT Lightning

IMO, that's BULLPOOP!! (<--- LOL!!) Definitely fight the ticket. That pig was one desperate mofo!
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    Bullpoop...hehehehe.

That is a retarded ticket. Squealing tires? Damn. You guys know that polished concrete stuff at some gas stations, right? Well, it's right next to roads usually, and if you turn going >3mph, your tires will squeal on it. So, is it possible to suggest that this material you were driving on encourages tire squeal? If that's the case, the squeal doesn't indicate aggressive/fast driving - and the cop didn't get you for that.

Another angle, perhaps: I wasn't at the scene, so I don't know the layout, but how can the cop show that the violation actually occured before the private property. Maybe take pictures and show that you couldn't have turned that hard until the private property began?

Just some lame ideas.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

What exactly is the ticket for? Is there actually a law banning making your tires squeal when making a tight turn? If not, you might consider getting out a camcorder and videotaping a re-enactment; show them that at that location, the tires squeal when making a tight turn into the parking lot.

Either way, that was one bored cop. The local Dunkin Doughnuts must have been closed.

This happened to a friend of mine in his Accord. People had always squeeled their tires at this one particular intersection and apparently someone got fed up and told the cops to camp the place. We got pulled over and he was fined for "careless and prohibited driving" even though he didn't have his insurance card. The cop didn't seem to care about that, so he was obviously told to pull people over for squeeling. My friend took it to court, had the judge laugh at how stupid the ticket was, but was still find about $75 with no points.

Originally posted by EMarkDDS
    What exactly is the ticket for? Is there actually a law banning making your tires squeal when making a tight turn? If not, you might consider getting out a camcorder and videotaping a re-enactment; show them that at that location, the tires squeal when making a tight turn into the parking lot.

Either way, that was one bored cop. The local Dunkin Doughnuts must have been closed.
    Yes. Wheelspin is considered "lack of vehicle control." It's a completely bogus catch-all law. Fight fight fight it.

-Jim

They can be so stupid like that. When I was at college there was this one time where I was parked on the side of the road and it was all ice underneather me. As I went to pull away from the curb my tires started to slide on the ice. So I let off the gas and about 1 second later some stupid cop boxes me in and she starts saying "Why did you squeal your tires... that's disorderly conduct you know." And I said, "Um, I'm on ice." But she didn't care. I didn't get a ticket, but it was just stupid harrassment. The college I went to is in a small town in way upstate NY and the cops have absolutely nothing better to do. But I guess if they really wanted to they could have given me a ticket. What a bunch of bs. Oh, and the best part of the story was that I was driving a mini-van at the time!!! You know those mini-vans... they are just such hot-rodders... people peeling out in those things all the time.

yeah, im king of getting stupid tickets. i got one ticket for having my music too loud. thats my greek music on my stock dodge durango system that wasnt even half way blasting. cop was out of his car and about 20 feet from my car. i got that one dismissed.

i got a ticket because improper lane usage and not signaling. first of all, whats improper lane usage, well according to them its not signaling. then why did i get TWO tickets for the same thing???? oh btw, i did signal, he just thought i was speeding and couldnt prove it so he gave me another bogus tickets. i got one dismissed, but my lawyer told me to plead guilty and take 3 months supervision.

oh btw,the road i was on was still mall property, its the malls street that goes all around gurnee mills. its still considered private!
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

If it was private property, the cop does not have jurisdiction, you could do doughnuts in front of him, and as long as you weren't endangering anyone, he couldn't ticket you for it...

...I would go back to the scene, and photograph the ground to show there is no tire-tread marks from your so called, "loss of control". You could use those in court to help prove that you weren't driving hard.

...I probably wouldn't do what someone else suggested by re-enacting it on video, this could be good on your part to prove your point, but if the judge decided to, they could use that as evidence of a second violation... As a better option, you might videotape 'other' people pulling in and squeeling their tires, this way you would still be proving your point, without incriminating yourself...

...In court ask the cop how close they were to you when it occured, and how many other cars where in the vicinity, as it could have came from another car if the cop was far enough away to know 100% without a doubt it was you...

Good luck...

-jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

I once got stopped for 130+ in a 55 in my moms bmw and the cop did nothing but laugh. He let me go free, and said just to not do it again...which proves that cops are simply regular people, some are cool, some suck a really fat one.

I got the same ****ing ticket a few years back in my ex - '99 Camaro. But the idiot cop wrote the citation for speeding instead of "lack of vehicle control", of something else. I even argued with him that there is no way I was going 25mph around a parking lot turn. He told me that if I don't agree with charges I could fight it. I told him "see you in court", but he never showed up.

Check what you exactly your got citied for, and look up how that citation is described in the Vehicle Code of your sate. If the citation doesn't match what really happened, it should be thrown out.

John M is 100% correct...

Cops can NOT give you a ticket on private property... but you could have always taken it a step further.. Don't sign the ticket...

What happens when you sign a ticket, is that your waving your rights at the moment and agree that you are taking falt for the ticket...

If you disagree and don't sign the ticket he has to take you down town where you BOTH wait to talk to a judge right then and there.. 99% of the time you are calling him BS ticket.. MOST of the time when you say your not going to sign the ticket the cop will try and scare you about what is to happen to you and your car... The car will stay there.. They can not tow the car! But he will have to take you there on his way back if he is found gulty... and you are in the right... I've used it once.. But again at the same time he will feal like it's no big deal, and your the one that will suffer.. and he is probably true to an extent...
    You will suffer but he will look like the fool infront of the judge... which in this case I'm sure he would have not chose to do so... they know private their property laws...
    0-60 in 5.678 on 4-21-03
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.098 @ 103.1 On the street
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.123 @ 100.3 At the track

When you sign a ticket, it verifies that you received a copy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Refusing to sign a ticket can and will result in your arrest, since signing the ticket is your agreement to come to trial.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast