The race that changed me 4eva
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on The race that changed me 4eva within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; OK guys, here's an embarrassing story that changed me forever. I had JUST bought my WRX around october. and i ...

The race that changed me 4eva

OK guys, here's an embarrassing story that changed me forever. I had JUST bought my WRX around october. and i was driving my friends back from playing pool. it was late at night and nary a car in sight, my other friends in a fixed up prelude was behind me. and then a black 95 or maybe 96 mustang gt pulls up to the left of me. Now i know what you're thinking... but way back when, i wasn't worried about racing, as i was just breaking in my car. but the owner of the mustang flicked his cigarette out the window, and revved up. OH MAN! only a couple hundred miles and i'd go with him. but my friends in my ride, and plus the fact that he glanced over at me while flickin the cigarette... it was on! here's where the story turns to worse... i was soo nervous about my first race with my WRX that i forgot everything i knew about racing!!

Light turns green and the thing i notice was that the mustang didn't spin his tires, which tells me he doesn't know how to get a good launch (either that or it was a auto) but the horrible thing about it was, i didn't grasp the concept of where to rev my new wrx at, so there i was revving it at around 3, not enough to get a chirp out of my tires. so we both launch and i bog bigtime and now we're head to head. i redline 1st gear and head into second, we're still both neck and neck but then!!! i shifted early !!!!!!!!!!! at around 5 k rpms, i knew it was a mistake when i did it, and he lept to a hood of his car lead!!!! but in this it worsened, b/c of the mistake i just did , i make my final fatal mistake, i granny shifted yet again!!!!!!!! this time at 4krpms.. he beat me by the length of his car :*( well i quickly laid out a right turn signal and ducked out of my embarrassment. he had me and it was a good run. but that'll live with me till i die. the worse part was.. my friends in the prelude behind me asked later on, "what happened???" and then they went on to say they would've smoked him in his prelude! ohhh the shame!! the shame then when we got home and saw my cousin's g/f she said she would've beat him in her civic!! heh... now i wish for that same mustang to come around again, i'm well prepared now..

oh well, hope you enjoyed the story. next story up for next month: 95 z28 SS vs me.. i hope it'll be better than this one

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That is pretty damn embarrasing. If you shifted to second and you did it again to third even though you realized it was the wrong thing? Oh well. Live and learn.

live and learn..

yeah i know!! it's one of those times when you make one mistake, and dwellin on the last one you do it again, or worse! *sigh* yup live and learn.

--never again, RaCinWRX

Hahahah. I don't mean to sound mean but that was entertaining! I remember my first race was against an MX6. I was supposed to spank him hard but won barely with a car length becuase of the similar stuff that you did.

Santa Monica Boulevard (I'm a poor student)
    That was incredibly hard to read.
    South West Forum Moderator

Working for a 22B or maybe a Legacy STi...one day

Peer pressure.. hehehe. Beginner racer.

Dont worry dude!! You will have it down in no time!

DOH!

(thanks for the lesson)
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

RacinWRX,

That reminds me of a story about the first time I raced on the Street (against a Dodge Stealth Turbo!!!). Read about it here.

I can understand bogging, but the WRX is fast enough to catch up even if you screw up the launch. I can understand short shifting into second, but WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THAT?!?!? Why did you "granny shift" into third? The WRX wins stop light races in 2nd gear PERIOD. If I don't know I'm being raced, I can usually still win even though I shifted into 2nd at 15-20mph. Of course, I run 16.5psi of boost too.

Oh well, not to brag, but I've never lost a race on the street in my WRX (as long as I knew we were racing). I know I'm not always going to be able to say that, but AWD and a turbo makes for ridiculous 0-60 times and 0-60 is all you really need on the win on the street. The 1/4 mile is a whole different story...

BTW, I don't like to race on the street because there are WAY TOO MANY nice drag strips close to where I live. Racing on the street is dangerous, which you'll realize if you read the thread I linked to above, a story that could've easily ended VERY BADLY.

-Jim

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.