Fears of a decision
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Fears of a decision within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm selling my Cobra and getting a rex. I'm reading the various kills on here and it reassures me that ...

Fears of a decision

I'm selling my Cobra and getting a rex.

I'm reading the various kills on here and it reassures me that they are as quick as I want them to be. I was a little scared at first because I'm so accustom to power being on tap without waiting on a turbo to spool and the scream of a V8. But I see that people are having a blast with these cars.

I really can't wait!
    98' Laser Red Cobra #634 of 5174
    FOR SALE. Contact me for details.
    Born 10/23/97
    4.10 Gears, UPR Power Pipe w/big mouth filter, BBK O/R H-pipe, Flowmasters, Back Seat Delete, Fat Knob, Battery in Da' Trunk
    13.35 @105
    270rwhp-270rwtq (gears and exhaust)

Gone but not forgotten:
    Procharger Stage 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What mods do you have planned. If your trying to match the thrill of 270 wtrq you'll need to mod the wrx. It's a great car and plenty fast, but it's not going to throw you back like a 270 whp car will. Course, if your looking for a lot of wheel torque, there's another sport compact on the market that might be a little closer to what you want, but I digress The WRX is plenty fast, you'll have fun with it.
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 Black
    221 whp/ 241 wtrq *Stock*
    13.585 @ 102.88 *Stage 1*

"Nothing gives you such a sense of the infinite as stupidity"

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    There comes a time in every man's life where he has to sell his American RWD V8 to get a WRX. I remember being as bright-eyed youth in the big world trading in my '99 Trans Am WS6 and buying the WRX. Do I regret the decision? Yes. I regret trading it in rather than selling it and having the extra six grand or so that I could have gotten. I sometimes miss the gorgeous, sleek and sexy exterior and the sixth gear, but I do not miss being deathly afraid to drive in the snow. All in all, I think I prefer the WRX.

Also keep in mind that a RWD V8 car that runs the same 1/4 mile times as a WRX will feel faster, even though it is running down the strip at an identical time.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Get a Vishnu stage 3 when it comes out and there will be no regrets whatsoever
    04 SVT Lightning

NJwrbT-WRX,

I agree. Noise actually has a seat of the pants feel

I just got back from the track. I ran a 13.35 @ 105

It was fun, but for some reason I still want to get the WRX. I think that it's the challenge of making it faster. Don't misunderstand me though, I know that it can be easily done. Tonight the fastest import was running 15.90's !!!!

I was the fasted street car there. I guess Thursday nights aren't what they use to be.

devil's advocate

hey, I own an wrx, but take a moment to think about what your contemplating before trading in your cobra.

If you want stump-pulling torque there's simply no substituting a small-block V8 (I can just see the jaws dropping).

torque is something you get down low and don't have to rev to the moon to get. It's instant power and addictive as hell.

But so is AWD handling and a turbo kicking in just when the guy in the next lane thinks he's gonna eat your lunch.

The horrid look on their faces at the next stop light is just icing on the cake.

I admit that I love both small blocks and turbo charged cars, but they're both definitely apples and oranges.

So to be safe, I'd advise you to drive a friend's car for a day or two just to make sure of your decision.

Nothing's worse than giving up a car you really like for something you really don't.

As for me, I made my decision and haven't regretted it since. I just wish I would have bought my car sooner.

drbyers,

This decision does not come lightly. I'll be starting a family very soon and need four doors. I think noise and tq of that level maybe too much for an infant Plus I don't have a back seat right now.
    With a wrx, I get fun and four doors. Luckily my co-worker suggested it. Then I remember saying that if I were to get ANY sort of 4 banger, it would be that. My wife likes it too, so that helps. She hates my cobra.

I can't wait to start moding away. She'll be a straight shooter but nimble on the road.

Gimmy, gimmy, gimmy, gimmy!

I'm a former mustang guy myself. You will miss the "instant on" power of the V-8, but once you get used to it the 4 banger is a blast. You should be able to best your time of 13.3 no problem, plus you'll be the star of the import crowd if they're all running 15's heh. I can't tell you how many civic and integra drivers have gotten whiplash checking out my car as they drive by. I'm mostly ignored by the domestic guys, but the import guys really enjoy seeing a fast WRX run its stuff.
    2003 Black sedan
    TurboXS UTEC Stage 4 FMIC
    STi 6-Speed with R180 rear end
    APS SR50 turbo, UR 785cc Injectors, Perrin Fuel Rails
    12.5 @ 109
    *7/22/04 - Now with 2.5 Sti engine, still in break in so no times*

You're pushing some great numbers.

I'm guessing to get these motors to handle it you need injectors, fuel pump, upgraded intercooler, and plugs.

Of course turbo.

How are the drive-lines on these cars? I know the trans have issues but what about the various go forward parts?

Originally posted by Lasercobra
    drbyers,

This decision does not come lightly. I'll be starting a family very soon and need four doors. I think noise and tq of that level maybe too much for an infant Plus I don't have a back seat right now.
    With a wrx, I get fun and four doors. Luckily my co-worker suggested it. Then I remember saying that if I were to get ANY sort of 4 banger, it would be that. My wife likes it too, so that helps. She hates my cobra.

I can't wait to start moding away. She'll be a straight shooter but nimble on the road.

Gimmy, gimmy, gimmy, gimmy!
    Those are many of the same reasons I bought mine.
    It really does have enough room for the family espescially if you've only got one kiddo.
    I must say this is the best purchase I've ever made. I've driven 37000 of smiling miles.

"Get a Vishnu stage 3 when it comes out and there will be no regrets whatsoever"

I can vouch for this statement as i own a stge 3 car.. It is AWESOME! can be daily driven (as long as you dont work 80 miles away from home) and well its simply one of the fastest cars on the street on race gas. Dont worry about lack of torque or any of that bs when your on the freeway and all the guy next to you can hear is a hairdryer the size of texas (the turbo spooling) i dont think there is anything greater then that look in the guy next to yous face right before you get to full boost with the turbo screaming in all its vooosssshhiinnggg glory. Talk about WTF is that look. Ha its great, oh and it is nice to be able to smoke 12 second cars all day long Just make sure you live close to a gas station as when you get up to higher HP levels the gas seems to magicaly disapear before your eyes.

haha but man o man is it ever fun.

*sigh should have drove the wrx to work today*

Cheers and rember there is nothing like smoking someone in a cobra in a 4 door subaru with a kids seat in the back

Balancing my love of V8's with my immense respect for this little import 4-banger has been fun. I drove a friend's Corvette last weekend, and while I miss the instant on snap your neck that only a big V8 can give, I came away from it even more impressed at my WRX's ability to control the power it has. The Vette was obviously more powerful, but later that day when we started cruising together (him in his Vette and me in my WRX), guess who won off every stoplight? (I'm at TXS stage 2+uppipe BTW)

I think the bottom line is that the WRX really uses technology to squeeze all of the performance it possibly can from its power. And in all honesty, as much as I love V8's, this type of driving is more fun
    <----- Finally found an avatar I like!

Originally posted by Lasercobra
    You're pushing some great numbers.

I'm guessing to get these motors to handle it you need injectors, fuel pump, upgraded intercooler, and plugs.

Of course turbo.

How are the drive-lines on these cars? I know the trans have issues but what about the various go forward parts?
    The TXS stage 4 is STI injectors (565 which are almost maxed already) and walbro fuel pump, and I opted to switch to the front mount intercooler after going with the lager top mount at first. Here's the site if you want to check it out. www.turboxs.com So far (18k miles) I'm on my stock clutch and tranny. I don't beat the hell out of my car and I don't powershift. I'm mentally prepared for the clutch to go any day now, but I'd be if my tranny went. I think you can put down pretty considerable power and have it hold together as long as you don't abuse it.
    2003 Black sedan
    TurboXS UTEC Stage 4 FMIC
    STi 6-Speed with R180 rear end
    APS SR50 turbo, UR 785cc Injectors, Perrin Fuel Rails
    12.5 @ 109
    *7/22/04 - Now with 2.5 Sti engine, still in break in so no times*

HighWayDrifter,

I have another year of night classes so three days a week I'll be driving 100 miles a day. Otherwise, 30 miles a day.

Why wont my car sell!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.