srt4 at 1/4 mile drag track

This is a discussion on srt4 at 1/4 mile drag track within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; went to the local 1/4 mile track tonight just to watch some friends run. an srt was there and i ...

srt4 at 1/4 mile drag track

went to the local 1/4 mile track tonight just to watch some friends run. an srt was there and i watched him get 5 runs. his times were 14.42, 14.59, 14.69, 15.01, and a 14.48. i didnt ask him about his 60ft times (didnt wanna converse with the enemy lol nah jk) but his launch was definitely inconsistant. but the track was in good shape, both my buddies i went to watch beat their best times. i think this guy was just not used to his car, that and im sure its difficult to launch well. the exhaust on the srt sounds pretty rice in my opinion, but i ldid like the sound of its turbo.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This thing is a monster to launch, even in stock trim. I plan on doing a little modding before I go to the track.
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

As expected from a front wheel driver , its going to be a handful on the street and at the track.
    I was having traction issues in my Stage 4 WRX at the track. Thats with all four wheels gripping the pavement.

Just imagine a modded SRT-4 (say 300hp+) racing from a dead stop on the street. Its going to do nothing but sit there and spin the tires.

It's not hard to launch, you just need to know how to do it. Rev to about 1700, pull the clutch back quickly while increasing the gas just slightly. While my 60' times aren't the best (2.2) they are very consistent, and I yeild about 14.2xx or 14.3xx almost every run. Ohh yea, DON'T FLOOR IT in first. That will cause more problems than anything. LSD here I come!
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 Black
    221 whp/ 241 wtrq *Stock*
    13.585 @ 102.88 *Stage 1*

"Nothing gives you such a sense of the infinite as stupidity"

Most of the slips I've seen are 14.0-14.2s on stock tires. Those times you posted are the equivalent to the poor driving 1/4 mile slips WRX owners had when the car first came out.

This thread is another reason why we need a seperate SRT-4 forum here .

About traction, nothing some drag radials can't fix. There's already a guy that ran a 13.6 at 102 with drag radials alone. Nobody believed me when I said this car was capable of mid 13s with a better tire . His 60ft. was a 2.0 as well, there is still room for improvment.
    Last edited by Shaitiger; 05-08-2003 at 07:17 AM.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

anyone tried lauching in 2nd gear?
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Originally posted by capt'n'caveman
    anyone tried lauching in 2nd gear?
    It's funny that you say that caveman, cause I've been thinking about it. I am getting firm racing motor mounts and a remote trigger switch for my boost controller (for scramble boost) and I'm going to see how it launches with the solenoid closed (I'll get 4psi from the wastegate). Then I'll go from there. But, launching in second has definitely crossed my mind!!
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

Launching in 2nd will be quite tricky I would imagine. The closest thing I have experience with is a 2.6L turbo'd RWD. But the essentials are there with lots of torque and only 2 driven wheels. If you get the launch perfect, it would work, and seemed quick (never had it to a track). But that was rare. Usually it would either bog like crazy, or produce a wonderful smoke show (if you have the torque to burn em with a 2nd gear launch, it creates quite a show).

As a side note, I read where some guy on the SRT forums ran a 8.87 1/8th mile with only a MBC. My best in my WRX is a 8.9x. That is getting VERY close to 1/8th times for similarly modded WRXs. It would do nothing but walk the WRX in the 2nd 1/8th. He has figured out how to launch his...

VV

Originally posted by drizze99
    It's funny that you say that caveman, cause I've been thinking about it. I am getting firm racing motor mounts and a remote trigger switch for my boost controller (for scramble boost) and I'm going to see how it launches with the solenoid closed (I'll get 4psi from the wastegate). Then I'll go from there. But, launching in second has definitely crossed my mind!!