Nissan SER Spec-V??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Nissan SER Spec-V?? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; its a long story but basically it works out that i may be able to get a new car. Now ...

Nissan SER Spec-V??

its a long story but basically it works out that i may be able to get a new car. Now i would like nothing more in the world then for it to be a WRX, but since i cant afford one, it wont b. soooo i was thinking of getting a Nissan Spec-V. i know some of you guys on here used to have one. is this a good car? i know its quick, (quicker than my dakota. pay no attention to the sig, im on my brothers name.) but can mods make it alot quicker? or will i not see 14's unless i get a turbo or NOS. thanks.
    2007 Civic Si

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Nissan SER Spec-V??

Originally posted by Mr. Arizona
    its a long story but basically it works out that i may be able to get a new car. Now i would like nothing more in the world then for it to be a WRX, but since i cant afford one, it wont b. soooo i was thinking of getting a Nissan Spec-V. i know some of you guys on here used to have one. is this a good car? i know its quick, (quicker than my dakota. pay no attention to the sig, im on my brothers name.) but can mods make it alot quicker? or will i not see 14's unless i get a turbo or NOS. thanks.
    Hey, I owed a 2002 Spec V til I traded it in 2 months ago. My insurance went DOWN with the wrx and its a whole lot faster.

Pros of Spec V:
    -Cheaper than WRX
    -Fun to launch off the line
    -Good bang for the buck
    -Handles very well

Cons of Spec V:
    -Not very mod friendly. I'll take the mazdaspeed anyday
    -Tranny sux
    -Dealer and salesman sux
    -Bad on anything other than a dray pavement
    -Again... Dealer and salesman suck
    -Do as a favor and pay a couple extra grand and get a WRX.
    It's safer, quicker, has more potential, and the amout you pay buying the WRX will save you the difference on the Spec V on the insurance alone.... Did I mention that its SAFER? AWD turbo...
    Last edited by AsianWRX; 05-04-2003 at 09:58 PM.

spec V is nice. I like the helical lsd. Nissan quality (in the good sense). i test drove one awhile back and thought it was a fun car.

for the price, have you considered the srt4? I know most people on here are anti-srt4, but bang for the buck, I don't think anything comes close.

i got to test drive one (srt4) in florida, and I must say that i'm impressed...so much that i'm considering it for my kid sister (of course i'll be modding it for her. ). good handling (I don't know why people on here bash it so much, actually, it feels more like the stock wrx...little more roll in the rear and understeers some, but good nonetheless), good brakes w/little fade and good feel, and of course, the acceleration is great. definately needs a lsd...would be great if they came out with an awd version, but highly unlikely. i've been hearing some crazy whp/torque numbers coming from just a boost controller, so i have no doubt that these have a lot of potential.

for the money i'd highly consider the srt-4, even if is just a neon. just my opinions.

hey man, is ur wrx blue by any chance? i saw a blue wrx with front mount a while back right infront of my school, well on broadway/sheridan.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

I had a SpecV before my Maxima. Its a fun, inexpensive car. The RF stereo rocked and it handled like it was on rails. I have owned 10 Nissans in my life and all of them have been great. There isnt a huge aftermarket for the SpecV yet, but you've got all the std stuff like I/H/E. I'm a moderator over on www.thevboard.com , check it out for more info.
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

Originally posted by ellinopedo182
    hey man, is ur wrx blue by any chance? i saw a blue wrx with front mount a while back right infront of my school, well on broadway/sheridan.
    might have been. i drive along sheridan alot. my car has been in storage for awhile, but I took it out after the last snow fall. c-west body kit (minus the basket handle spoiler), but switched out to wings west body kit last week, jdm headlights, 18" bronze volk te37's, blitz fmic, tein flex edfc, 15%tint, etc...are the biggest exterior stuff. probably heard it as well (catless kakimoto 1.0z gt w/ custom fitted perrin dp and hks bov).

I highly recommend the SpecV as a low cost alternative to a WRX. My sister has an SE-R. I love it and so does she.

Asian, what's wrong with the tranny?

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    I highly recommend the SpecV as a low cost alternative to a WRX. My sister has an SE-R. I love it and so does she.

Asian, what's wrong with the tranny?

-Jim
    It doesn't like to engage the 2nd and reverse gear (6-speed). I used to be on the V-board and there were many complaints for the 02 model especially.

That car is a great car, don't get me wrong. But after the mazdaspeed came out I questioned my Spec V purchase. I'd never take the srt4 cuz its so butt ugly and might not be as reliaible.

Now all I need is a AWD turbo roadster from subaru.....

If my financing hadn't worked out on the WRX, the Spec V was my next choice. Definitely an awesome car for the money, I agree with Asian though, I'd take it over the SRT4 for reliability and asthetics sake.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

I also test drove the SpecV while car shopping, I was trying to stay in the 20 to 22K range and it was between the Mazdaspeed and the Spec until I saw an ad for an 02 Rex in the paper.
    My decision was made.
    As for the Spec, I liked it a lot. It is quick, it looks good, and it's quality (Nissan). The only problem is the aftermarket kind of sucks for it so far.
    I don't know about the aftermarket for the Mazdaspeed, but it is definitely worth a test drive.
    Steve McQueen's got nothin' on me...
    I'll take you back, west of Pleiades...

Mazdaspeed and Spec V are neck to neck. I think the Spec V is now selling for 16k while the mazdaspeed is like 19k-21k.

If the price is not an issue between them two, I think I'd go with the MS simply because its a turbo (more mod friendly) and I've heard that it handles like a dream.

The 2003 6 speed tranny for the Spec V has gotten better but I'd hold out til they get it right.

I got to test drive the Mazdaspeed, great car stock... but not as mod friendly as it seems, tranny will not take the extra horsies and even minor mods (boost controller even) will push the tranny beyond its limit, or so I've heard.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

My 02 SpecV had like 15,000 miles on it when I got the Maxima, and I never had any tranny problems whatsoever. Also, my SpecV was of the earliest batch (10/01 if memory serves) and was actually assembled in TN, not Mexico...
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

Originally posted by 2003WRX
    My 02 SpecV had like 15,000 miles on it when I got the Maxima, and I never had any tranny problems whatsoever. Also, my SpecV was of the earliest batch (10/01 if memory serves) and was actually assembled in TN, not Mexico...
    Thats the problem... made in MEXICO... LOL! you're one of the lucky few who had their Spec V built right.

Wink

About the tranny issues, i believe that Nissan has redone the tranny for the 2004 model IIRC, the orig 6speed gearing is kinda screwy, you'll be shifting out of first before you can get your foot all the way to the floor. Also Nissan really droped the ball with the 2.5 they put in it, i personally know one guy who was gone through 2 of them with bad bottom ends, and ive heard a lot of people misshifting and breaking the rocker arms to pieces. Anways your better off getting an older SR20 powered SE-R. Being a SR20 convert to the WRX myself i am really not proud that Nissan put the SE-R badage on the Spec-V. Although the SR20DE has much less power output in stock form compared to the 2.5 in the Spec-V, the SR20DE has much better potential, in that it was designed from the ground up to be a turbo engine. The SR20DET varrient only has few extras such as oil squrters, but is basicly a SR20DE with a turbo bolted up. If your looking for a fun to drive and fun to work on car i would highly suggest the early 90's SE-R's or even say a 1999 Sentra SE-L (thats what i had). There is plenty that you can do with 'stock' parts from the DET bolted up to that engine. In closing it has been shown that the SR20DE can handle around 400WHP on a stock bottom end, now that my friends is imprezive (hehe). Anyways the Spec-V is a nice car but i just dont think i would drop 20K on it. Good luck with what ever car you choose.
    2003 WR Blue WRX - Godspeed Up/Down pipe - Prodrive Axel Back - MBC (14.75psi in 3rd) - 220 WHP on Dynopak (93oct)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast