BMW owner talking junk
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on BMW owner talking junk within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was talking to a guy who works next to where I work, telling him about a 04 WRX that ...

BMW owner talking junk

I was talking to a guy who works next to where I work, telling him about a 04 WRX that I will be getting in 2 weeks. He told me that he will crush me with his BMW 525i, or some model close to that. I said that I don't think that he will, and he said that we should race for pink slips. No way am I doing that, even if I could win, you never know what is going to happen. What do you guys think of the race. He said any race I want, 1/4 mile, mile, anything.
    One other thing, he said top speed on his car is 180, I really can't believe that.
    He wouldn't tell me the year because he said it doesn't matter, I am guessing a mid 90's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bahah he's a moron..nice cars yes..but bmw's are POS to me cuz they are expensive. tell him u'll race for pinks in an offroad rally course and grin at him he'll be scared. u'll be all set once he backs down then u have bragging rights and u didn't lift a finger..is his car stock
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

I Support ClubWRX
    Or you could just offer to race in the rain from a stop. By the time you're shifting into 2nd, he'll be just getting enough traction from his RWD to get moving.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Originally posted by MidKnight
    Or you could just offer to race in the rain from a stop. By the time you're shifting into 2nd, he'll be just getting enough traction from his RWD to get moving.
    i'm sure he's got traction control...
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

I Support ClubWRX
    Traction Control = Brakes = Slow
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

I would just race him but forget the pinks. 2nd top speed means nothing when racing 1/4 mile or even 3/4 mile becaus eyou wont get there. also 180m/hr top speed just means he is really high geared and wont be able to take off for crap.

P.S.If it an AMG forget everyting I said.

I Support ClubWRX
    If it's a BMW AMG, I really want pictures.... that would be really rare I think you meant either M5 or Dinan..... AMG is Mercedes
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno

Originally posted by whitefish
    I would just race him but forget the pinks. 2nd top speed means nothing when racing 1/4 mile or even 3/4 mile becaus eyou wont get there. also 180m/hr top speed just means he is really high geared and wont be able to take off for crap.

P.S.If it an AMG forget everyting I said.
    amg=mercedes
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

180kph yeah, not mph. The M5 won't even go 180mph stock, its limited to 150-155, somewhere around there anyways. Dinan prolly removes such things tho. Still a 525 has an anemic small engine. Used to be the 2.5 liter 6 banger, nice in the 3 series, but a bit overtaxed in the larger 5 series. Might be a 3 liter now, I dunno.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

A few thought:

1. You are too easy to get your chain yanked. If you keep letting others trick you into arguing their logic or believing them then you deserve to get spanked.

2. BMWs are nice cars and some of them perform really well. They are just very expensive. As a consequence, people who buy them have to justify the cost somehow. Coming to terms with a $24k auto like the WRX that will outperform them is kinda tough.

3. Neither of these cars are drag racers. It is pretty childish and stupid to be doing such a thing. If I were to race, it would be something like the autocross rally racing.

4. Don't start planning the abuse of a car before you even get it. And you still gotta get through that pesky 1k break-in.

5. He probably only offered/challenged you cause you were bragging about how bad your new ride is gonna be. Try doing that a little less. I know it's hard but try.

Some of these might be applicable, some not. Chances are that more than a few are.
    Mmmmm Kitty,,, the other red meat.

Please note: no cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later.

I Support ClubWRX
    What a joke - a 525 can't touch a WRX. Even if you were bragging and asking for it, so what, a porky BMW is going to beat you? Right... Look at it this way, a 330i (or even a 330xi) can't even take on a well-driven stock WRX - and that's with a bigger engine in a lighter car compared to a 525. I don't mean to "magazine race", but those are the facts. I'd race him for $50. Just make sure you have your launch down and the car broken in.

Edit: this guy knows nothing about cars if he thinks a 525i can even approach 180mph - speed limiter or not. A freakin' M3 would have a hard time hitting that speed...
    Last edited by Integra96; 05-04-2003 at 07:17 PM.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

525 is probably the slowest BMW on the market and they are really hard to make fast with that small engine. If he wants to race, and it is in fact a 525...hell a 530 would be easy too, you could even take a 540 through the quarter...you should race. If it has a ///M logo anywhere on it, back off.

guy seems like the typical beemer "wanna-be-enthusiast." nice cars, it's just SOME of the shmucks that buy them. stock wrx would roast a 525i, no doubt. my friend (w/2002 m5 dinan s2) says that the 525i auto does the 1/4 in mid 16's w/high 80 traps at BEST.

Yea...most things people have said are right.

The guy must have been talking about kmph, but if it was another 5 series...like say a 540i, then for sure that ***** could hit 180mph (governor removed). And if its an M5...get ready to strap in, cuz that sucka will be goin 197mph (governor removed)

But yea, a 525i is kinda weak...lets just say it has a bad power to weight ratio. I have the same motor in my car...the 325i, its a nice engine, but it's not some crazy drag car. Maybe if he has some mods...it could be a nice race.
    '95 325i

Be sure it's not 540i. It will slaughter WRX above 80mph.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.