What pays the bills? - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on What pays the bills? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; In an attempt to offset all the computer geeks here, here is what i do to pay the bills. I'm ...

In an attempt to offset all the computer geeks here, here is what i do to pay the bills.

I'm the accountant (read: glorified bookkeeper) for a small, family owned and operated (not MY family) Real Estate Broker and Property Management Company. I handle all things money for the brokerage and for 150+ residential rental units. In addition, i get to perform cashflow analysis on potential rental investments, play computer geek(since we don't have a REAL tech support geek for our aging fleet of desktops (95% of the time i reply with "restart windows and call me if the problem persists", they rarely call back), deal with the occasional irate psycho-tenant, and sometimes i get to show rentals to prospective tenants(get to showcase my salesman-***** skills).

I just graduated from college last weekend, waiting to see where the exciting world of accounting/finance takes me.
    '04 WRB Wagon
    K&N Panel Filter, Snorkusectomy
    Still to Come: many many things (waiting for the post-graduation cashflow to start) EDIT: Still Waiting for the money to start coming in......

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by KzooWRX
    In an attempt to offset all the computer geeks here, here is what i do to pay the bills.

I'm the accountant
    I'd rather be a geek than a bean counter...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Damn there are a lot of geeks on this board. Nothing wrong with that.

I however, got my degree in Marketing 2 years ago. And have been working for GE (general electric) for 3 years. My first year was as an intern. After graduation, GE hired me on fulltime, and have been working in the Marketing Dept ever since.

I really want to own my own company or work for a car company. Don't know how I will get there, but I will. Just keep working toward it and it'll happen.

I Support ClubWRX
    Automotive salvage recycling technition AKA Junk Yard Dog. I have a bachelors in criminal justice from Montclair State University, how the hell did I end up here???

Hey guys, it looks like Iím in the norm here as well. I currently attend Drexel University majoring as a computer engineer. Drexel offers a five year program where during the 3 middle years, students go to school for half the year and work a Co-Op job for the other half. I am in my second year and have recently started my co-op job. Iím a Network Analyst for Sunocoís Network Group in Philadelphia. We basically deal with any network issues that may spring up within the companyís global offices.

Itís great experience and really gives you a feel for how companies work. Although the network field does interest me, I donít know if this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. Iím most likely going to switch my major to biomedical engineering, and do something in the medical field. So, either way you can chalk me up on the geek board!
    '04 WRB WRX Sedan

I test backflows. Backflows are assemblies related to plumbing that protect our water supply from contamination, and have to be tested annually.
    College just wasnt for me, I got bored with it quick. I always knew I didnt want a 9-5 and didnt wanna be rich either. I wanted something that left me time and freedom to pursue my hobbies and of course sleep in.
    What I do is pretty much bonehead work, but it pays sick considering. I spent less than a grand to get certified and i make between $25-50 an hour, depending how quick I feel like working. Its nice because Im my own boss and can work at my own pace. I also am a part owner of a plumbing co and always have other investments going on the side. Im 23 and Ive been living on my own since I turned 18 with no help from anyone, which Im pretty proud of. I own three cars (2 of which just collect dust) and a couple $3k bicycles (trials bikes) that I have time to ride every day. My girl is in med school....so I plan on doing even less to get by a couple years down the road

Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX
    I'd rather be a geek than a bean counter...
    I was a Comp. Sci. major for 2 years, had enough of it. I'll gladly be the CPA you pay $150-200/hr to save your computer-lovin behind from the IRS.

Accountants make better lovers.
    '04 WRB Wagon
    Still to Come: many many things (waiting for the post-graduation cashflow to start) EDIT: Still Waiting for the money to start coming in......

Originally posted by Chunks
    I will be a nerd, If it goes as planned I will have my degree in "Computer Animation" and "Game Design/Development" but thats 4 years away.
    Actually I am thinking of going back to school for Computer Animation/ Game Desing. AIFL is an awsome school. Just need a good job to pay for the WRX to live, and pay for school

I'm a real estate developer.

I work on a team that permits, designs and builds large luxury multifamily complexes.

dR

I Support ClubWRX
    I was a Comp. Sci. major for 2 years, had enough of it. I'll gladly be the CPA you pay $150-200/hr to save your computer-lovin behind from the IRS.
    It was just a joke there, fella...
    Incidentally, in 14 years of paying professional level taxes, I've yet to pay a CPA one red penny...
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX
    It was just a joke there, fella...
    Incidentally, in 14 years of paying professional level taxes, I've yet to pay a CPA one red penny...
    That's awesome that you actually understand the tax code, a lot of people can't figure out a 1040EZ without the help of H&R Block. Now the question is, have you been taking full advantage of the tax code to minimize what you're paying?
    '04 WRB Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Now the question is, have you been taking full advantage of the tax code to minimize what you're paying?
    I'm sure that what I'm NOT minimizing isn't worth paying the $150/200 an hour that you were bragging about...

Truthfully, I will concede that my investment situation (and family situation) has become more complex in recent years. It's entirely possible that I may justify the cost of consulting a tax expert one of these days. Happy?
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

fre
    Just finished a degree in computer science and getting a degree in electrical engineering (another 1 and a half years). I work at the university and hopefully will be picking up an additional job there.

AJT
    I feel so alone. And computer uneducated.

I've got a BA in psychology from the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. I'm currently working FT as a psychiatric technician in Child and Adolescent Inpatient Psychiatry here in Springfield, Missouri (read: Misery), while trying to finish my Master's Degree in Healthcare Administration (Full time school, full time job, 4.0.....not what you think, SMSU sucks balls, I hate this school, U of M was MUCH better). As I get closer to finishing my Master's degree (one more year, it'll be nearly 3 years total, who would have guessed that a BA in Psych doesn't fill many pre-requirements for a Business related Masters???) I realize more and more how much I like working with kids and am scared of a "desk job" where I don't have that 1:1 interaction....

But who knows, I'm also tired of being *&@^ing broke.

-Andy

A high school Latin teacher here.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods