What pays the bills? - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on What pays the bills? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I work in Network Operations and monitor a few thousand T1's, our data colo facility downstairs, the sonitrol system and ...

I work in Network Operations and monitor a few thousand T1's, our data colo facility downstairs, the sonitrol system and a bunch of DSL customers. Also mess around with the Lucent switches when need be.. When I have time I do projects for the company like writing scheduling apps in perl. I need to do the backend in SQL now though.. DOH!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by nostatic
    Fairly new here--looking to buy an STi in the coming months.

I conduct large-scale web site usability tests (both in-lab and remote) for Fortune 500 companies at $2000/day. I'm the boss, and I work from home. Life is good and I'm very thankful.
    need any help? heh I'd love to work from home

Originally posted by zccopwrx
    Guess what.. another IT..

Me and my boss started a hosting company inside the "mother" mailing company which has been around since 1984. the hosting company has been active since Nov 2001

I personally administer every aspect, from the dedicated lines from sprint, the routers, the managed switches, to the mutilple firewalls and webservers, and I keep an eye on all the customer colocated servers aswell as our for rent dedicated servers...

On top of that I take on webdesign, and revamp projects, i program custom PHP.mysql web applications for the mailing company (basicly the company runs 100% of the web-based software i made).. Uhh, i from time to time take on media projects such as fancy adobe premeir videos and slide shows.. I also develop hosting automation software for the hosting industry, i am a full time student going got a CIS/BIS major..

i work 40 hours a week on top of 15 class credit hours... (long days and nights)..

i love what i do, and im only 19, and i want to stay doing what im doing for the rest of my sane life. :-)

www.thehostworks.com if ur interested
    Damn man..Good job I must say. I aspire to someday do something like what you are doing at 19! and I'm 21 now...damn I wish I got into this years ago

22 working as an in-house clinical engineer at Columbia Hospital in Milwaukee. Hopefully moving up in the world soon, and will be specializing in PACS for all of CSM (a couple hospitals grouped together), or I'll be a system admin for radiation oncology at two of our campuses.

Hey

Lets just say this is the wrong forum for me I am a Baker, no i didnt go to school for it just feel into it try to get through school. I work alot of hours (well in the fall with usually three other guys) when you guys come home from the bar ive been at work for 2 hours and will be their for another 10. I do like it but i do need a better paying job (looking right now) I too dropped out of school the worst thing i ever did. But i bough a car (WRX RULES) but i am paying for it. yes i do want to go back to school to be a COP.

Im just another brick in the wall that is clubwrx...

During summer after 9th grade I worked for a computer company that developed server-side web applications and web-based GPS systems in mainly Java. Also I did GUI design and server-side Perl/Java/JS work for a daughter company, IPServe...Paid allright but I did it mainly from experience. With programming my facination with mathematics deepened much further to a point of upsession. Physics came along as well. I let go of the programming aspect of computers and got involved in graphics, Adobe and 3D Studio Max and such...just a hobby though...

Father concerned about my diminishing eye sight (due to computer screen) and suggested I broaden my horizons...So I worked at a restauraunt...

Became interested in electronic music production and started DJing at a local club, playing some of my tunes once a week. Did that till the end of high school....

1st in State Math Olympiad 2 years in a row, qualify for USAMO, Science Bowl 1st place school, etc....
    Went to Massachusets Institute of Technology to major in Mathematics, transfering next semester to instate school because of funding problems, then going to Caltech for Fall 04....

I plan to be either a cosmologist or particle physicist, working at some observatory or particle accelerator! Maybe get involved with AI as well....Right now my expenses are far beyond my profits, but I have patience!

People who go to MIT are crazy.

How do you go to MIT...

So I'm a EE major and I took this seminar called intro to EE and in it the prof is talking about grad school:

"Well, a lot of Stanford students choose to go to MIT for graduate school work...and they fail"

lol. I hear you guys have something like 8 semesters of english among every other type of science as basic graduation requirements.
    '03 white rex

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by eulerfx
    I plan to be either a cosmologist or particle physicist, working at some observatory or particle accelerator!
    Particle physicist, ehh? I have a passing interest in quarks, gluons, mesons, uncertainty principle, etc, but it's just not applied enough to hold my attention for long.

Somebody should move this to Everyday Impreza Talk or OT, but anyway:

I work as a Controls Engineer for a small machine design firm. Sort of a combination of Electrical Engineer and Industrial programmer. It pays well, but my wife is doing the "stay-at-home-mom" thing, so nearly all of my money goes down a huge hole called "family". I scratch and save to buy mods from other sources of income.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Re: Hey

Originally posted by 4cyturbowrx
    Lets just say this is the wrong forum for me I am a Baker, no i didnt go to school for it just feel into it try to get through school. I work alot of hours (well in the fall with usually three other guys) when you guys come home from the bar ive been at work for 2 hours and will be their for another 10. I do like it but i do need a better paying job (looking right now) I too dropped out of school the worst thing i ever did. But i bough a car (WRX RULES) but i am paying for it. yes i do want to go back to school to be a COP.
    dude you rock. Be a cop. Shoot bad guys and yell "I used to be a baker, and now I bake yo ASS!!!"
    '03 white rex

Damn there are alot of Engineers on here. I am in my junior year of ME. I finish concrete during the summer to pay for school and work as a resident assistant in the dorms at school to pay for my car. Unfortunately there is no room in there for extra money for mods.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

Originally posted by verc
    People who go to MIT are crazy.

How do you go to MIT...

So I'm a EE major and I took this seminar called intro to EE and in it the prof is talking about grad school:

"Well, a lot of Stanford students choose to go to MIT for graduate school work...and they fail"

lol. I hear you guys have something like 8 semesters of english among every other type of science as basic graduation requirements.
    I randomly talk to myself...
    I don't plan to go to MIT grad school, Caltech is for me! Much smaller campus and gotta love the Cali weather!

heh, being 17 I don't make quite as much as the rest of you guys.

I work a part-time job at, believe it or not, Wild Birds Unlimited. Yep, I sell bird accessories. I also have a few clients that I do lawn work for (mow, rake, shovel snow, etc.) I have been doing some freelance computer consulting lately also.

I'm just finishing up highschool, and I'm 95% sure I'm going to be pursuing a career in Mechanical Engineering. As of right now, Purdue is at the top of my list. I'm open to suggestions though!
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

Real Estate title "Abstractor"

I perform real estate title searches.
    PM me if you're in the need for high speed affordable video hosting.

Another IT guy here.

I do mostly Java and JSP web application development. I've been doing it for around 4 years.

A little story for all you out of work It guys... about 6 months ago I was unemployed after my former company all but went under. 2 Months later I started working from home for a small company started by some of the former owners of that company. 3 months after that the startup was bought out by Adobe. Now I'm an Adobe employee making almost twice what I was making before. It's amazing how quickly things can turn around.
    2004 WRB Wagon

Originally posted by Shibby
    . As of right now, Purdue is at the top of my list. I'm open to suggestions though!
    Go to Illinois. Great Engineering department, although Purdue is pretty damn good too.

I'm a sophomore polymer science major with a premed option. Hopefully in 2 and a half years i'll be in med school washington U(stl), or northwestern(chi) are my top choices. I'll be getting a wrx soon, my dad is going to pay for it b/c my scholarships paid for my college.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." Ben Franklin

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.