What pays the bills? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on What pays the bills? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey mark, go ahead and admit it. You're a computer geek at home, when you're not at the office. lol....

admit it

hey mark,

go ahead and admit it. You're a computer geek at home, when you're not at the office. lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Im a boss geek (IT Director), and a security geek on the weekends (during the week to when im not handling disasters and management "redidrections") Wish people could just make up there minds and roll with something instead of changing things upteen times.

Oh and i to drive a subaru!

Whoa, sure are alot of IT people here.

I'm a UNIX sysadmin and Oracle DBA for a large, international investment bank. The work environment may be stressful, but it does pay well. I paid for my WRX in one fell swoop. No financing for me!
    Last edited by khyrox; 05-04-2003 at 07:43 AM.

Throw another log on the geek fire...

MIS Director for National Civil Contractor. We build bridges and move dirt. My wife is a Graphic Designer, she is skilled with all things Adobe and Flash too.

And so this thread can stay true to the WRX vs The World theme, I spanked the hell out of a 6 cyl mustang with 4 people in it and a teenage girl driving. Felt really bad about it, but hey, they wanted some.

-B

Re: admit it

Originally posted by drbyers
    hey mark,

go ahead and admit it. You're a computer geek at home, when you're not at the office. lol.
    OK OK I admit it. Hell, I used to write programs for my Apple II Plus...does that count?

I work for a company that designs/R&D on ion sources….ion sources are used for sputtering different materials in process that include making DVD player heads, hard drive heads, tuning the frequencies on crystal chips for cell phones, depositing layers of materials for PC chips, non-scratch coatings on optical lens even thrusters on satellites for space propulsion….
    <<<<<<<< LOOK AT MY NAME!!! lol
    COBB stg II

Maybe this is why the WRX has 4 eyes

Subaru I think is trying to change that with the '04 though.

hmmm

since most of us in here are computer geeks and drive subarus, I wonder what those guys driving around in SRTs and EVOs do for a living?

I Support ClubWRX
    Probably drywall work.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

damn web programmers! bunch of glorified geeks.

i'm just a plain old geek, c/c++ programmer in embedded linux systems. the end results aren't too fun, but i'm starting to add touch screens to our systems so that makes it a little better.

you guys do have some sweet websites!! better than the ones i designed in college.

however it does seem like there's a bunch of programmers in here. bout the only market that's really hiring at this point.
    02 midnight black
    clear side markers
    K&N Air Filter
    STi J-Spec Strut Tower Brace
    Prodrive Axle-back Exhaust
    Kartboy SS + Bushings

I work a regular 'ole 9-5 office job, probably making 1/2 what the rest of you do, and I'm going to grad school part-time to get my Masters of Public Administration. Our state's government has been in a hiring freeze for a long time now, and with the huge budget cuts as the legislature just got out, departments are laying off people right and left. I am seriously contemplating downgrading in order to lower my car payments, as future job prospects don't look that great...

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

Fairly new here--looking to buy an STi in the coming months.

I conduct large-scale web site usability tests (both in-lab and remote) for Fortune 500 companies at $2000/day. I'm the boss, and I work from home. Life is good and I'm very thankful.

Im in on a 2 year ride with the company i currently own (its actually a corporation technically), however its only a shred of what is left from the boom, which is sad. I have no degree, just talent and experience. I can only imagine what is going to happen after my contract is up here.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

Regular computer geek here. Win2k MCSE means I get to offer help to people who call and ask "What ctrl-key combination was it again to copy?" *sigh*. :-x

1. Got my degree in Business first, and thought that was for the birds.
    2. Went back and got another degree in Automotive Mechanical Techonology (read: A.S. in grease monkeying )
    3. Worked as a dealership wrench for Toyota, Range Rover, Jaguar, and Audi.
    4. "Moved Up" (Don't believe it, salary is for the birds. Stay hourly if you can!) to service consultant at the local Lexus dealer... That job made me some decent ducats, but if there's a more stressful job out there short of bomb disposal technician or air traffic controller I don't know what it could be!
    5. Went BACK to school (3rd time's the charm, right?) and got my Win2k MCSE.
    6. Now my partner and I (just 2 of us) do end to end computer consulting for many local non-profit agencies...

I'm not getting rich (far from it, I'm starving to pay for my WRX and her many mods) but hopefully things will pick up in the future as the economy gets back on it's feet...
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

made some very good investments early in life...

when i'm not in school and/or working on my thesis/research, i work at abbott (long a$$ drive, but pays well) as a biochem consultant in their validation dept.

i'll be off to med school at georgetown next semester so it should be interesting how finances work out...$36k/year tuition X 4years +books/supplies, misc, and high arse living costs in/around DC...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.