Stage 4 walks LS1 z28 top end
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stage 4 walks LS1 z28 top end within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Cool LS1 driver and fun race. Today I was running side by side with this LS1 z28 going about 35mph ...

Stage 4 walks LS1 z28 top end

Cool LS1 driver and fun race.

Today I was running side by side with this LS1 z28 going about 35mph or so. I didn't think much about it and all the sudden he nails it. He got a good 1-2 car jump in front of me. So I do my best to reel him in. I finally caught up to him around 70 -80mph or so in 3rd gear and slowly started walking by him. Then we had to slow down because of up coming traffic.
    So now he is behind me - (right on my bumber and wants a rematch) in the fast lane with a truck in front of us. The truck moves over and gives us nothing but clear road. So I downshift into 3rd (at about 65-70mph) and nail it. The Z28 tried real hard to stay in my draft. It worked for a little bit but I slowly walked away from him. The best part was I was still pulling on him in 4th gear at around 130mph! From a 70mph roll up to 130 mph, I pulled at least 3-4 cars on that LS1 Z28.
    There was a red light way up the road so we had to start slowing down. He pulled up along side of me and rolled down his window. He was really cool about it and said he really liked WRXs. That they were really cool cars. You have to love that coming from a a Chevy guy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Damn! You walked an LS1 at those speeds?! Your car is a beast. Would love to see you get your hands on an STI and mod it like you have your WRX. Could you tell if he was in an auto or manual? I like it when people are cool like that after the race.

Nice kill.
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

Being a previous Camaro owner myself (96 v6, 1998 Z28, 2001 SS), I can attest to the fact that there ARE some Chevy drivers out there who respect the WRX

Got rid of my SS in January and got a 2003 WRX and I love it

Was the camaro modded?
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Just basic stuff... Eibachs, Borla cat-back, Airbox, Hurst

Nice kill. But sounds like something's up.

You trap at 108 and stock LS1's trap at 104-108. With the cat-back and lid he shoulda put up a better fight.

I've raced several LS1's from a roll, right in the middle of their "allmighty" 3rd gear and I've pulled on all of them. I think the train of thought that trap speeds indicate highway power somehow isn't as important as people think, or isn't showing the whole picture. Good kill!
    2003 Black sedan
    TurboXS UTEC Stage 4 FMIC
    STi 6-Speed with R180 rear end
    APS SR50 turbo, UR 785cc Injectors, Perrin Fuel Rails
    12.5 @ 109
    *7/22/04 - Now with 2.5 Sti engine, still in break in so no times*

True... my mistake... That is usually a good indicator though... probably in 2WD cars more so.

There was a big debate about how equal WHP in AWD vs. 2WD, that the AWD car would always pull... maybe theres some truth to that.

Mad max - I think that it might not be that trap speed does not indicate top end power. I think it is that trap speeds between AWD and 2WD cars might need some kind of correction factor to compare them both....

If you think about it, AWD cars don't trap as high partly because of drivetrain loss, but also because they don't have as much space as 2wd (which have the benefit of wheelspin off the line) to accelrate to their trap speeds.....(AWD cars have too much traction for their own good in this regard)

We all know that the more traction you have, the lower your trap speeds, so if a Stage 4 car is trapping @ the same mph as an LS1 AND has less room with whick to get up to that trap speed, it must mean that the Stage 4 car would be quicker from a roll-on race, since there is no set finish line...

Let me know what you think of my train of thought...
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Originally posted by boostyle
    Nice kill. But sounds like something's up.

You trap at 108 and stock LS1's trap at 104-108. With the cat-back and lid he shoulda put up a better fight.
    You are confused. I see how easy it was. The suped up Camaro was not the one he raced. The modded one belonged to 4nik8r.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

You're right Aj, I don't see where SGO listed the mods for the LS1 he raced. Fornicator was listing the mods for his old camaro.

Jigga- yeah, thats along the lines I was thinking. The AWD cars are simply using the 1/4 mile space more effeciently, thereby lowering their trap speeds, but not necessarily showing their higher speed roll on potential. It sure plays out that way on the road, I have yet to be pulled on at higher speeds by an LS1.
    2003 Black sedan
    12.5 @ 109

Kinda off topic, but do you have pics of your car Max?

I don't have a digital camera, I need to get one :-(
    2003 Black sedan
    12.5 @ 109

Originally posted by Mad Max 03
    I don't have a digital camera, I need to get one :-(
    Ah, hahaha.....me too.

hey mad max, you have the stage 4 kit with the stock tranny? how is it holding up?
    03 blue WRX.
    Weeeeee!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.