C&D WRX STi vs. EVO - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on C&D WRX STi vs. EVO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Street Reeper Anyone notice Evo 0-100 takes 13.5 seconds Looking @ the 1/4 mile we could say ...

Re: IS THIS RIGHT??

Originally posted by Street Reeper
    Anyone notice

Evo 0-100 takes 13.5 seconds
    Looking @ the 1/4 mile we could say the EVO does 0-101 in 13.6 seconds; that makes sense it takes it .1 seconds more to go 1 mph faster.

However look at the STI

STI 0-100 takes 12.4 seconds
    Looking @ the 1/4 mile we could say the STI does 0-103 in 13.2 seconds?

How can you account for the STI taking almost a full second to go 3 miles an hour faster?

I see your point. I think they do seperate testing for each catagory or something like that.

I've seen this before. I've even seen cars that they test in the 1/4 mile run like 14.0 @100mph. Then they will show its 0 - 100 mph time like 14.2 sec? That make no sense at all. But I see it in mags all the time.

The only thing I can think is they don't calcuate everything on the same run?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: IS THIS RIGHT??

There is a gear change in there I'd say...a slow one at that.

VV

Originally posted by Street Reeper
    Anyone notice

Evo 0-100 takes 13.5 seconds
    Looking @ the 1/4 mile we could say the EVO does 0-101 in 13.6 seconds; that makes sense it takes it .1 seconds more to go 1 mph faster.

However look at the STI

STI 0-100 takes 12.4 seconds
    Looking @ the 1/4 mile we could say the STI does 0-103 in 13.2 seconds?

How can you account for the STI taking almost a full second to go 3 miles an hour faster?

both cars are awesome... too bad with all this stupid bad dealerships around here, my father wont even consider subaru anymore as a potential place to buy cars. so, it seems like im going to have to stick with the evo8... oh well.

btw. my brother will get my car, and my dad will most likely get the 350z. were buying any day now the murano too! fun fun fun.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

I thought the article was pretty interesting. They felt the front diff on the Subaru made the handling very twitchy and it was a constant fight through the road and offroad courses where as the Evo was much easier to handle.

Thus, they went faster in the straights but were able to control the Evo through the turns better and get overall faster times. The also prefered the Evos front seats as they felt the STi didn't provide enough support in hard curves.

Considering the amount of boost they are running on the Evo, I would think it would be hard to easily up the power. The STi should have more room and a few mods to the suspension should help some. If the center diff or front diff makes the car twitchy, though, that would be a concern.
    2003 WRX WR Blue Wagon
    1999 Red Miata DRGN RDR

Re: Re: IS THIS RIGHT??

Originally posted by VetteVert
    There is a gear change in there I'd say...a slow one at that.

VV
    That's what I was thinking too.
    http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...499_9_full.jpg

Mods: WSP Y-pipe, Custom Midpipe, Custom Ram Air feeding a JWT filter & Velocity Stack

Motor Trend, Road Test, June 1994
    "Our tester, a five-speed SE version of this fourth generation of Maxima, produced a blazing 6.6-second 0-60-mph time, and a 15.2-second, 92.4-mph quarter-mile run. Ask us, and we'll tell you how the Maxima SE will whip the Integra GS-R, and Taurus SHO; the new Maxima also shows no mercy on its Nissan stablemates: It'll stomp the normally aspirated 300ZX, and drivers of automatic-transmissioned 300ZX Turbos best not be snoozing when the light goes green. This demure-looking family car is the quickest Japanese sedan available in the States."

Re: Re: IS THIS RIGHT??

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    I see your point. I think they do seperate testing for each catagory or something like that.

I've seen this before. I've even seen cars that they test in the 1/4 mile run like 14.0 @100mph. Then they will show its 0 - 100 mph time like 14.2 sec? That make no sense at all. But I see it in mags all the time.

The only thing I can think is they don't calcuate everything on the same run?

The dragstrip doesn't take a LITERAL mph speed at the end. Rather, it measures how quickly the car is covering the distance, which I believe is the last 66ft of the track.

So, when you think about it this way -

1.) 14.0 to 100mph is the actual time it took to hit 100mph, and

2.) 14.2 @ 100 in the 1/4 is the measure of time over distance at the end. The 100mph trap is just a calculation of how quickly you were covering the distance. The actual speed of the vehicle as it crosses the finish may be quite different.
    Last edited by boosted 4; 05-09-2003 at 10:06 AM.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

i want both cars, plan on getting the sti first tho

There's no doubting it, the Evo's a hell of a car, especially for the $$$. But I'm not into track driving where the Evo would really shine - I like occasional spirited canyon carving, and in that regard the STi is a better handling car than I know how to drive

What does it for me is the engine: I'm a musclecar guy, and I still live by "no replacement for displacement." I'll take the extra 25% displacement for my stoplight shennanigans, please
    <----- Finally found an avatar I like!

Originally posted by stilesg57
    What does it for me is the engine: I'm a musclecar guy, and I still live by "no replacement for displacement." I'll take the extra 25% displacement for my stoplight shennanigans, please
    http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...499_9_full.jpg

Mods: WSP Y-pipe, Custom Midpipe, Custom Ram Air feeding a JWT filter & Velocity Stack

Motor Trend, Road Test, June 1994
    "Our tester, a five-speed SE version of this fourth generation of Maxima, produced a blazing 6.6-second 0-60-mph time, and a 15.2-second, 92.4-mph quarter-mile run. Ask us, and we'll tell you how the Maxima SE will whip the Integra GS-R, and Taurus SHO; the new Maxima also shows no mercy on its Nissan stablemates: It'll stomp the normally aspirated 300ZX, and drivers of automatic-transmissioned 300ZX Turbos best not be snoozing when the light goes green. This demure-looking family car is the quickest Japanese sedan available in the States."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12