WRX vs. '02 or '03 Mustang GT and thanks SGOSWRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX vs. '02 or '03 Mustang GT and thanks SGOSWRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, got into my first encounter with a late model Mustang GT. Black coupe, hood scoop, mean-sounding exhaust (I think ...

WRX vs. '02 or '03 Mustang GT and thanks SGOSWRX

Well, got into my first encounter with a late model Mustang GT. Black coupe, hood scoop, mean-sounding exhaust (I think it was stock), billet-style wheels. Nice looking GT

I was driving and all of a sudden I looked in my rearview mirror and there was some sporty looking car right on my butt (it was night time so I couldn't see what kind it was). Light up ahead turns red and he pulls up next to me and starts revving his engine. I knew it was on. I was kind of anxiuous since I had heard how many times a guy in my other forum has beaten WRX's. He did admit the ones he encountered did not know how to launch. But last week I had been out practicing launches about 3 days in a row, 10 launches each night. And I've practiced off and on before that. In addition I also practiced fast shifts into 2nd but with a little feathering of the clutch so as to not hurt the tranny. Also, this is my 5th manual sitck shift car so I'm not a rookie with stick shift cars. But I am a rookie with turbo cars. Always had high torque V-8's and V-6's.

SGOsWRX - I did exactly what you said to do on launches. Rev up to 4-5k rpm, slip the clutch and immediately mash the gas pedal. That works perfect. No burnt clutch smell and perfect launch.

I held the clutch right at the "catch" point and revved up to 4500 rpm. Light turned green, I slipped the clutch fast and mashed the gas pedal. PERFECT LAUNCH. Had about 1.5 car lengths on him by the end of 1st gear. Perfect, fast shift into 2nd and I gained about 1/2-1 more car lengths right away. The gap stayed about the same until I hit 80-85mph and I shut down (it was a 40mph speed limit). So I had about 2.5 car lengths on him. I was pretty happy seeing that I am completely stock (except for handling mods)and I even have the handicap of the heavy, 22lb CT wheels.

I gotta admit I am really impressed with the WRX. I've always been a V-8 lover, but this WRX has really grown on me.
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

nice run. its nice to put a V8 in their place every once in awhile. but i still love the sound of fox body mustangs.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

Nice reppin for the Rex, I am trying to find a race with a stock GT currently, I'm out every Friday and Saturday night looking, hopefully I repeat your success.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

Got to love that.

Are you going to get any power mods ( boost controller, exhaust, etc)

I would love to see you take out some real big fish.

Again congrates on the kill.

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    Got to love that.

Are you going to get any power mods ( boost controller, exhaust, etc)

I would love to see you take out some real big fish.

Again congrates on the kill.
    Hey SGOSWRX,

I'm actually caught in the dilemma of whether to mod the hell out of my WRX or go for the STI. I want to wait and see how the STI does. But I am leaning towards modding my WRX. Modding and seeing results from your mods is fun.

Just curious, have you EVER lost a street race from a stoplight. I've seen you take out some big fish (Porsche 911 Turbo, C5's, M3, etc).
    2012 Black WRX Premium

Originally posted by 03WRX
    Hey SGOSWRX,

I'm actually caught in the dilemma of whether to mod the hell out of my WRX or go for the STI. I want to wait and see how the STI does. But I am leaning towards modding my WRX. Modding and seeing results from your mods is fun.

Just curious, have you EVER lost a street race from a stoplight. I've seen you take out some big fish (Porsche 911 Turbo, C5's, M3, etc).
    With my current setup (Stage 4), I haven't lost a race from a dead stop on the street. Thats pretty remarkable considering the cars I've raced.

My latest win was against a 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1. He came flying up on me from behind doing about 100mph. He then got caught at the next red light. Needless to say I killed him by many cars lengths up to 90mph or so. At the next light he wanted to race me again. So I again beat him by about 4-5 cars or more up to 80mph or so.

The best part was his hot girl friend couldn't take her eyes off me or my car. Just before the second race she kept looking at me and smiling. During the race, I could see her mouth wide open smiling as her boy friend got wipped. She seemed to be having more fun than me. She must have loved seeing her boy friend get beat.

Nice kill there are quite a few mustangs around to beat up on. but watch out some of those fox stangs are fast.

Cheers,

Jim
    04 WRX Wagon
    WR Blue
    02 WRX Sedan Black
    13.517@99.87

Originally posted by blackhawk
    Nice kill there are quite a few mustangs around to beat up on. but watch out some of those fox stangs are fast.

Cheers,

Jim
    Thanks.

Most definitely! Those Mustangs have a plethora of aftermarket parts, especially the 5.0's.
    2012 Black WRX Premium

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    With my current setup (Stage 4), I haven't lost a race from a dead stop on the street. Thats pretty remarkable considering the cars I've raced.

My latest win was against a 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1. He came flying up on me from behind doing about 100mph. He then got caught at the next red light. Needless to say I killed him by many cars lengths up to 90mph or so. At the next light he wanted to race me again. So I again beat him by about 4-5 cars or more up to 80mph or so.

The best part was his hot girl friend couldn't take her eyes off me or my car. Just before the second race she kept looking at me and smiling. During the race, I could see her mouth wide open smiling as her boy friend got wipped. She seemed to be having more fun than me. She must have loved seeing her boy friend get beat.
    That is hilarious his girlfriend was checking you and your car out. I can't believe you ran into a Mach 1. Those are so rare. You run into EVERY fast car where you live. Whereabouts in S. Florida do you live?
    2012 Black WRX Premium

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.