Sore loser in a BMW 330i - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Sore loser in a BMW 330i within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I definitely agree that all of the German cars are overpriced in the US. But what is strange is that ...

BMW cheaper than Subaru in other parts of the world

I definitely agree that all of the German cars are overpriced in the US. But what is strange is that they are reasonably priced in Europe and other parts of the world, at least reasonably priced in relation to their competion.

My parents just came back from a trip to South Africa and they were a little surprised to see my WRX a bit more expensive than the BMW 3 series. (There are two disclaimers: (1) the BMW is built locally in South Africa while the Subarus are imported. (2) BMW has many more smaller motors, like a 1.8Liter, at the bottom end of their line.

Even in Europe and Germany, the BMW, Audis, and Mercedes are about the same cost as their competion.

I have never figured out why they are significantly more here in the U.S. (Tariffs?).

My comments also apply to the Saab, Volvo, and other "European'" cars-- they are much more expensive than they should be here in the US.

AstroDavid

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

my gf wants to "race" me in her 325i. you guyz think i should lose on purpose or something?

Yeah, lose once.. let her get cocky.. and then blow her doors off
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

Originally posted by 97SupraTT
    my gf wants to "race" me in her 325i. you guyz think i should lose on purpose or something?

have a nice friendly wager
    autobots transform

Anybody here ever ridden in an E46 M3?

The engine never works hard. If you shift at 3500 in every gear, you'll be doing 90 before you know it. At 110mph, it's quieter, and more confidence inspiring than a WRX cruising down a smooth road at 40mph. Zero wind noise, very little tire noise. Just the muted growl of the engine sucking air through six throttle bodies.

As for the ridiculous pricing, it's in the marketing. Americans generally consider all European cars as high-class or something, so they come with a lot more standard equipment, and the more powerful engines (you can't get a Benz S-class with the 3.2 V6 here) and less combinations of features. America is also the largest car market in the world so they want to milk it for all it's worth.

BMWs are overpriced, but for their level of performance. Some people find the extra cost justified. I'd gladly own one as long as the yuppie stigma were not applied to me because the six-cylinder engines are very sweet powerplants despite being "slow" or "underpowered." They produce ridiculous amounts of torque, and you can drive it around confidently at 5500 RPM in second gear, because it's so smooth, you won't even notice until you drive past a wall. The ABS system is so refined, you won't be afraid to engage it. It feels more like driving over gravel than ABS. Oh, and the chassis tuning is very great and refined. The BMW coupe is one of very few cars that have frameless windows whose doors make a very solid "thump" when you close them.

My friend's '01 325i has taken the same abuse an offroading WRX owner would subject his or her car to. WOT all day, all night, 5000rpm cruising in low gears just for fun, off road excursions. Got stuck twice, has dust in every crevice of the car. 24,600 miles of all that, accumulated in one year. What broke? Two trim pieces. What was replaced? Oil, front and rear brake pads (Fronts at 15,000, rears at 20,000) all under warranty. The only out of pocket expense were tires, but that's becaues he drives it like a beater. Still rides like new.

Anyway...that's my schpiel. I hate yuppie BMW owners as much as you guys do, but try not to bag on the car. Just the owners please.
    Last edited by AREITU; 05-19-2003 at 05:07 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    AREITU: that was a pretty good assessment of Krautmobiles.

I'd say Americans consider German cars to be high class because, for the most part, they are high class. A few VW's lack in quality here and there, but BMWs, Benz's, Audis, Porsches, etc. are usually top notch in everything - except repair costs.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I'm extremely suprised that their repair costs are high.

When my friend and I took some of the interior pieces of his 325i out and played with the fuses to install some really retarded strobe lights, everything is easily accessible and everything was meticulously placed with careful consideration for easy access and removal as well as installation.
    Nearly every fuse on the car can be accessed from the glove compartment. A compartment with a bunch of fuses and a fuse-removal tool and spare fuses flips down. Everything under the engine bay is super-tidy and well placed, every line carefully routed and wrapped. Put a 3-series up on a lift and compare it to a Japanese car on a lift. His car was on a lift because we disconnected the headers from the catback.
    Right now, I'm holding the passenger side window switch assembly for an E46. I've take this thing apart and put it back together many times. They make the parts that snap together assymetretical so they aren't assembled incorrectly.

I find that the anal-retentive and meticulous design and placement extends to every German car I've had the pleasure of playing around with. Just due to that, I find the higher cost of the car justified...but I absolutely do not see why they're cheaper to maintain.

EDIT:
    When Autothority and Dinan tried to make an ECM for the newer BMWs, they discovered the only improvements they could make were lifting the rev-limiter a few hundred RPMs and a few very minor things, as BMW had already milked every bit of torque they could from the engines.
    Last edited by AREITU; 05-19-2003 at 09:21 PM.

AREITU, nice post above...couldn't have said it better myself, and I own a 325i. (Not an E46 though.) -Mike
    '95 325i

Except for the yuppie thing.
    '95 325i

BMW's may be expensive to repair, but they don't break down often....I have owned 2 BMW's within the last 3 years, a 535i that I wrecked and a 325is that I just sold 2 weeks ago...I had the 535 for about a year and put on about 20K miles on it and I did not have to replace one thing...the car had 160K miles on it when I wrecked it.....My 325is that I just sold had 115K on it, and I put about 20K on that one as well...the only thing I had to repair on it was the water pump....but thats preventive maint. I may drive a WRX, but my favorite brand of cars is BMW, they are VERY well engineered and they are great cars that last a long time...my dad has a BMW 750iL with 190K miles on it, my neighbor has a 325i with 210K miles on it, a guy that works next to me has 240K on his 528i and 157K on his 535i, one of my best friends has a 525i with 165K on it..anyways I can keep going, but I won't...BMW's are great cars though and there is nothing like a n/a 6 cyl screaming...

*dont flame me b/c I am not talkin down on Subaru, I am just trying to explain how good a BMW is*

-Zoeb

I saw an M3 at auto-x last weekend, I swear I almost creamed my jeans. The thing was absolutely stunning to look at. I don't know a much about beemers but I saw the M3 badge. I don't know what he had done but it was more visualy appealing than the normal M3.
    Look at me I'm gushing like a school girl, all I can saw is they are nice cars.

I saw an m5.... so amazing, he was cruising at about 60 and then all of the sudden punched it and he went to like 60-90 it seemed in like 2 seconds

thats so funny, "you should have spent more money on your car than your engine" ....lol, bottom line is you made him look bad infront of his woman, and in his beamer, thats great...haha
    Traffic, Traffic, Lookin for my Chap Stik....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.