WRX + UTEC stg 1 = EVO8 in speed?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX + UTEC stg 1 = EVO8 in speed? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Does anyone know if a WRX sedan with a UTEC stage 1 would beat a stock EVO8 in 0-60 and ...

WRX + UTEC stg 1 = EVO8 in speed?

Does anyone know if a WRX sedan with a UTEC stage 1 would beat a stock EVO8 in 0-60 and the 1/4 ? The HP would be equal, and the WRX would have a slight weight advantage. Anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: WRX + UTEC stg 1 = EVO8 in speed?

Originally posted by Vtach12
    Does anyone know if a WRX sedan with a UTEC stage 1 would beat a stock EVO8 in 0-60 and the 1/4 ? The HP would be equal, and the WRX would have a slight weight advantage. Anyone?
    It all depends on drives skill. Drives being equal an EVO should win but anything is possible in racing.

In a different forum there is a topic about a stock WRX with a mbc is just as fast a an 04 STi in an 1/8 mile race. This is based on the new STi running 8.60s-8.70s in the 1/8 mile by 1 driver.

This is not a very good arguement. The average driver doesn't run 8.60s in the 1/8 mile with just a mbc. Just because 1 or 2 guys have done it doesn't mean its the rule.

I've run as fast as 8.40 in the 1/8 mile with just exhaust and mbc. That doesn't mean my WRX with a mbc and exhaust is faster than an 04 STi. It just means I'm a good driver.

As soon as some skilled drivers (former WRX racers) get some run in the new STi we will know how fast it is. Right now most the guys making runs in the new STi have no experience driving a WRX.

stage 1

Hi...I'm running a stage I and have not hooked up with an EVO yet but from some of the posts on here, I think it's gonna take a stage II car to have a good chance.....evo's are running low 13's which I don't think I can do with my car (never timed it but I don't think it's doing low 13's on just the utec)......going to stage 2 this week so it should be much easier :-)
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

Originally posted by swipe112
    Vtach12 brings up a good point though. Concerning a WRX Utec Stage 1 has the same hp rating as the EVO, why does it take more horses to beat it?

Either:

A) TurboXS is skewing their results and their dyno's are off. For example, many people have complained that hardly any Vishnu customers reach the predicted times posted on their site.

or

B) The EVO has other things to its advantage such as better gearing, tires, more torque, smoother transmission.

I wonder which one it is.....
    It isn't that TBXS's results are off big time. It is just that the way in which the extrapolate crank HP leads to some 'optimistic' figures. It isn't that it takes more HP to beat them, it is just that a Satge 2 car more likely produces around 270-280crank HP, and not the 300+HP levels that they advertise....

The stock turbo is not capable of producing more than around 280HP (crank). It is just too small to flow more HP.....
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Well, I guess that's what I meant. Not that anything was wrong per se w/ their dyno, but that a "Stage 2 car more likely produces around 270-280crank HP, and not the 300+HP levels that they advertise...."

But according to Turboxs, the stage 1 (UTEC only) is supposed to give you about 275hp. If the stage 2 is more like 270-280 instead of advertised 309HP, than what is the stage 1 hp actually? Stock is 227, so does the UTEC give you more like 245-250hp?
    Which brings me to another post of mine that nobody has been able to answer. I just put a UTEC in, and I feel a VERY little power increase over stock. And for a $1000. mod, that is VERY disappointing!
    I know of several posts from people that are not happy with the UTEC in stage 1, wondering what "they" did wrong installing it.

utec

I felt a noticeable improvement over stock with the stage I utec...sure you don't have it set on the stock map? If you say the car feels like stock you need to check your red switch or look to see what map is set up on the logger.
    I dyno'ed the car after the install and (don't quote me til I get home to grab the dyno sheet) but I believe 196whp and 189lb-ft torque....without the resonator box removed. Stock cars are running somewhere around 165whp....
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

vtach12,
    Your case does seem a little odd. Most people seem to fare well with the UTEC, and if it was faulty, I don't think they would have the highest market share for aftermarket ECU's. I recommend you give TurboXS a call a see what they say....

Also, to add to this confusion, how much wheel horsepower does the EVO have?? I saw a dyno sheet for a EVO put down ~ 240 or so hp and tq. This was in Turbo magazine and I am for some reason skeptical of their findings. Anyways, so if the EVO does put down roughly 240 or so, it could be a simple drive train issue.

A stock EVO is only losing 36 hp (276-240), while a stock WRX (227-170) is losing 57 hp. Therefore, we have more to overcome as far as drivetrain loss.

A company that does this very well is BMW. Their cars are so well built that often times they pull of the same performance numbers as competitors with less horsepower. For example, the 330i has 220 or so hp but does the same 0-60 with a G35 with 260 hp. The difference? More efficient drivetrain.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.