wrx vs 67' camaro 454
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on wrx vs 67' camaro 454 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This guy I know built a beautiful 67 Camaro and stuffed a brand spankin new 454 in it probably about ...

Lightbulb wrx vs 67' camaro 454

This guy I know built a beautiful 67 Camaro and stuffed a brand spankin new 454 in it probably about a year ago. I dont know how the hell they squeezed this motor in the engine bay, but they managed to find some inches with a custom exhaust mani. Very nice looking car and it even has new Camaro suspension I believe, Recaro's, the whole nine yards.I've raced him a couple other times on the freeway, and he can pull on me good until 90 from a roll on, then I smash on him (100+), but I always wanted to get the chance to show him whats up from a stop...and today I finally got my wish!

We gathered the camcorder and went to our special 1/4 piece of ol' country road to see who's faster (or possibly whos the better driver!). We both line up while my other friend gets out to give us the count down. 3,2,1, and were off!~ I bog my launch a little but the Camaro was getting bad wheel spin through second gear. I ended up stayin ahead of him the whole time and ended up about a half-car to a car length ahead of him at the finish. (end of third gear so prolly 95mph) He was pissed and wanted to race me again. He couldnt go back home knowing he got beat by something with 4 less cylinders, AND after talking so much crap. So I agree to give him another go because I know I can walk on him a little more if I dont bog my launch! And I hate it when people dont want to race me again..

We line up again, wait for the go, I rev to 4500 and start to slip the clutch just a tad, then release with full gas resulting in a nice 4-wheel chirp which put me immediately ahead of him through 1st and second gear, shifting into third I was about 1.5 car lengths ahead of him (18-20ft guestimation). I ended up besting him 2 out of 2 times. He tells me he even got a good launch the second time around, with no obscene wheelspin, but still couldn't keep up. I believe I can get my 454EATR license plate now lol...

My mods are only:
    Custom tuned Unichip
    Full turbo-back (with race pipe)
    Blitz Intake
    HPBC @ 16 PSI
    IC Hoses + Grounding mod
    oh and some light as hell 17" SSR's with Toyo T1-S's
    95' Eclipse GST
    FP green
    720's

02' WRX
    TurboXS Stage 2 w/Blitz SUS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Very nice kill, I don't understand why anyone would throw a 454 under the hood of a Camaro, the price is so high its ridiculous for the results that could easily be made and beaten with a 350 for less green backs, but then again, there is no replacement for displacement but a turbo'd 454...
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

A 454 is not a difficult swap into an older camaro. The big block is an option in some of the early cars. And as everyone knows, if you do not too much with the deck height, 700 cubic inches and 454 is no difference in size. Tony has a 705 in his 69. Fits very nice.
    It is all in hooking it up. Tire slip will kill you. That is why the AWD is nice.
    My brother put a 504 in his little street car. But watch out for it. He will not get tire slip.
    http://www.wannaberacing.com/eileene.html
    Not bad for under $12,000.

Man, if you could only have 350+WHP and AWD.... how sweet that would be...
    95' Eclipse GST
    FP green
    720's

02' WRX

you forgot to mention in a lightweight package.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    RIP

Originally posted by boostedgst
    Man, if you could only have 350+WHP and AWD.... how sweet that would be...
    Wait for the next generation USDM STI if the HP wars keeps going, it will be here.....

Can you say H6TT in and Impreza

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    Wait for the next generation USDM STI if the HP wars keeps going, it will be here.....

Can you say H6TT in and Impreza

-joe
    Or the RalliSpec Evolution! Its very exciting knowing that Subaru and Mitsu are duking it out here in the US. In the end us consumers win.
    95' Eclipse GST
    FP green
    720's

02' WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Ooooohhhh...an H6 TT in an Impreza. Drool. Can you say Ferrari killer?

Yeah, on the original topic: 454 torque is insane, but I guess it came at the expense of traction. A friend of mine had an old Firebird with a heavily built 350 that couldn't hook up for crap. But once up to speed...whoah. I'm sure it would pull quite hard at 100+ mph, despite the cereal box in a wind tunnel aerodynamics.

That's cool you were able to pull on him past 90mph; see the Subies top end ain't all that bad.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Originally posted by STIwish
    Very nice kill, I don't understand why anyone would throw a 454 under the hood of a Camaro, the price is so high its ridiculous for the results that could easily be made and beaten with a 350 for less green backs, but then again, there is no replacement for displacement but a turbo'd 454...
    Not if you build it yourself. You can get a junker 454 and rebuild it quite cheaply and easily get big power. With that much power you really need to have the right suspension setup to put it all to the ground. The parts for these kind of cars is not as much as you might expect.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

You are right Aj!
    Parts are cheap. If you know what you are doing, and buy all new parts, you can have 900 horsepower and 800 foot pounds real easy on $10,000 total from the ground up. If you do it with used, you can do real well. I have two bullets that make over 700 hp each that were less than $1500. But then we are to the traction concern. All the power in the world is wasted if it does not hit the ground.

Woops- forgot one thing. A big block is no more expensive than a small block. In most used cases, you can build a 454+ for less than a 350.
    Last edited by Wannabe; 04-28-2003 at 09:12 PM.

Originally posted by Wannabe
    You are right Aj!
    Parts are cheap. If you know what you are doing, and buy all new parts, you can have 900 horsepower and 800 foot pounds real easy on $10,000 total from the ground up. If you do it with used, you can do real well. I have two bullets that make over 700 hp each that were less than $1500. But then we are to the traction concern. All the power in the world is wasted if it does not hit the ground.
    My point exactly.

eh, then you have a big, torquey truck engine with crap for top end for the most part. I still see a small block build up as a better way to go, they are common as hell, parts are dirt cheap, and you can end up with a pretty damn nice powerband that doesn't so closely resemble that of a tow truck.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    RIP

Wow! You posted before I could even edit.
    AJ, I have one mill here at the shop that makes almost 1300 horsepower and I have less than $15,000 into it. No nitrous, no blower, no turbo- nothing. It is possible.
    PS. STI. Big motors will run well on the top end if you build them to do so. My DRCE does not start making power until 7,600 rpm. Big motors are not what they used to be.

Originally posted by STIwish
    eh, then you have a big, torquey truck engine with crap for top end for the most part. I still see a small block build up as a better way to go, they are common as hell, parts are dirt cheap, and you can end up with a pretty damn nice powerband that doesn't so closely resemble that of a tow truck.
    You can still have plenty of power EVEN on the top-end. What kind of motors do you think they put in Top Fuel Dragsters?

Wow! You posted before I could even edit.
    AJ, I have one mill here at the shop that makes almost 1300 horsepower and I have less than $15,000 into it. No nitrous, no blower, no turbo- nothing. It is possible.
    If you know what you are doing, anything is possible. I love how much you can get out of NA V8 motor.

I was talking for a low buck buildup, but sue me, I'm a truck guy born and raised and the 454 just seems to be at home under the hood of a Chevy 1-ton standing on 44" Boggers. Around here, low dollar buildups are all we really have.
    Last edited by STIwish; 04-28-2003 at 09:29 PM.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    RIP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.