Previous Gen Cobra vs. WRX?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Previous Gen Cobra vs. WRX? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was coming back from my brother's house Hwy 75 coming N > S and got off at Delk to ...

Previous Gen Cobra vs. WRX?

I was coming back from my brother's house Hwy 75 coming N > S and got off at Delk to make a left. There was a previous generation Mustang Cobra on the left lane and I was on the right. I'm assuming he wanted to go but couldn't tell since his windows were tinted. We both slowly turn left when the light turned green and I heard him stay in first as did I. I started going when I heard his engine but then I hit fuel cut at 7500rpm ... oops. Anyways so my car bogs and then I switch into 2nd ( 30 mph ) and by that time the Cobra was at the back passenger door. We were neck and neck w/ each other for like 2sec and I stopped at 65mph ... racing is fun but I'm not doing 80 in a 45, well 65 in a 45 is already bad enough. He knew I stopped so he stopped too. I am very disappointed that I didn't pull on him. Well I did bog and didn't launch ... oh well I guess I expect too much? A friend of ine said that's not a race because I didn't even get to use 3rd? I have the Vishnu Up-Pipe and Boostvalve MBC @ 16psi. I'm assuming it was a stock factory Cobra. Was I suppose to pull on him ( I can't drive ), him pull on me ( he can't drive ), or what? What hp are they rated at factory? I know I didn't get to show off since I didn't jump ... I wanted to see how the 2 new mods would handle other cars at a roll.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Previous Gen Cobra vs. WRX?

Originally posted by chuglobal
    ... racing is fun but I'm not doing 80 in a 45, well 65 in a 45 is already bad enough...
    Good man!

That you were able to stay with him till 65 mph is a pretty good feat in itself. Those Cobras are no joke.

Really...

Are they really that powerful ... I hear all this smack talk about Cobra's so I was assuming they weren't all that? As everyone still states that the power of the REX is till in the launch. I guess I should be happy since I kept up w/ a Cobra betwen 20-65mph? I'm sure if I did the usualy launch I would have had him by 2 car lengths?

I had an encounter with a cobra. Then he popped the hood and showed me a giant s/c and a fmic. I was amazed.

The previous year cobras run low to mid 14s stock so what you described sound just about right. Misshifting the gear does affect it alot though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Bliss
    The previous year cobras run low to mid 14s stock so what you described sound just about right. Misshifting the gear does affect it alot though.
    dude, they are not that fast. Two of my friend's both ran 14.0@99 bone stock.

a VERY good wrx driver can pull a 14.1@95. He will have more top end than a stock WRX.

you should have seen how a DEMOLISHED my friends' Cobra from a stop (he has exhaust and X pipe). from a roll I still pull good on him. Those cars are fast, but not too much faster than a stock WRX. Get some mods and then beat him!

-C
    Street Racer Emeritus
    '02 2.5L WRX - Retired

yeah previous gen. is not that fast..
    But watch out for the 2003 Cobra.. V8 supercharged, 390 HP

Humm ...

I have to remember that the WRX is NOT a drag car ... rally car w/ off road capability is more like it . It has its own catagory. But it's always fun to have a little fun every once in a while.

Supercharged cobra

Like everyone says Cobra really are not as fast as everyone says I have a friend with a Supercharged Cobra and we were playing around down here on these wide Texas streets. Well from the Line no contest a good three cars but even more surprising is that rolling from second that once boost came online nohting we were not gaining on each otherI was half ahead and thats were it stayed. All I have is an INjen intake and yokohama tires he has a vortech supercharger and straight pipes. so go for it you never know

I didn't say they were super dooper fast. =\

Two my friends have cobra's also. One is a good driver and ran 14.0 stock while the other one was a bit crappy and ran 14.5. I'm not contradicting you in any way. I'm just saying that the WRX and previous year Cobra are pretty close. Of course the rex will get it off the line but the cobra will gain it back in the top end.

I know your friend with those other few mods spanked that cobra. I believe ya.

By the sound of it if you wouldn't have hit your fuel cutt off and been shifting correctly you would have had him for sure.

They are pretty fast but I was absolutely destroying 3 of them in
    the 1/4 mile the other day at the track.
    They are not as fast as the LS1 Fbodies. Never the less. You never know what mods they have unless you talk to them. They can run easy low 14 stock with alot more top end. I wouldn' try racing one on the highway unless your heavily modded.

the difference in muscle cars is that their horsepower will keep them accelerating at a constant rate.

Meaning that while a wrx have absolutely awesome exceleration to down low.... bring it past 95 and it's nothing compared to a muscle car. They will just start to walk away.

But yeah what everyone has said is true. Even an SVT cobra isn't that great.... didn't even start pulling from me until around 70mph

Yo

They'll walk away until a turn on a gravedl/dirt road appears ... I wish there was somewhere safe to do amature rally driving "safely!"

Guy's,
    96 to 98 Cobras run 13.10 to 13.10 stock. I should know, because my 97 Cobra Bone stock ran a 13.65 with only 1500 miles on the odometer. With the air box removed a K&N filter and Nitto DR's, my Cobra ran a 13.42 @ 104 MPH. It all depends on the driver. The car makes all of its power after 4k RPM. You need to know how to launch these monsters. I usually launch at 4k RMP's. MY brother how is a better driver ran a 13.28 in my cobra stock. The best I could muster was a 14.2 @ 96 MPH with my stock WRX.
    Last edited by Drod; 02-26-2002 at 02:35 PM.

I've ran that Gen cobra and it was dead even. I have only a boost controller...
    2002 WRX
    13.7@97

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.