03 Cobra kill (TKO)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 03 Cobra kill (TKO) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If you live in Houston, and you know what Allen Parkway is then skip down a paragraph, otherwise Allen Parkway ...

03 Cobra kill (TKO)

If you live in Houston, and you know what Allen Parkway is then skip down a paragraph, otherwise Allen Parkway is a nice stretch of road fameous for it's tight sweepers and various elevation banks and some 45's.

Anyway, I did a couple of passes and got ready for another when a chump shows up with the 03. Blabs about his mods, etc. I tell him I am still a member of SVTOA and meet with the local Lightning Owners group, he proceeds to blab about his car, how L's aren't a threat and how my car is a great econobox but not a sports car.

Great. Now that I have been appropiatly dressed down by Ego, I humbly beg of his greatness to show me how great his car handles Allen Parkway, and i'll tag along for fun and to admire the FASTEST, BESTEST car in the whole word that god himself made for Ford.

I slide the launch a little @ 4.5K and break the jump, but I am bracing for the sonic boom and the shattering of glass as the 03 Cobra streaks past me and jumps into hyperspace. However this does not happen as the guy is obivously still "heating up his tires" back at the intersection.

I get a little jiggy into the first turn keeping an eye peeled on the rearview, and lo and behold the Cobra is charging hard. He is closing in slowly on my back side and we make the first sweeper. I tuck in and roll with it and he goes to the outside, and tries to pass. However I notice that is back end is sliding out. So i'm thinking "cool, we got a drifting expert here!" We go into a little straight, he is playing bumper tag but i keep my ass bobbing in front of him like a fat girl in a disco.

Now the City of Houston likes to water. Alot. Even concrete too because someone in City Hall thinks that it must make it grow. Anyway there are automatic sprinklers that water the gardens on the sides of Allen that hit the street as well, adding to the fun and enjoyment. The next sweeper is up, elevation drop and to the right, and the apex is wet.

Mr WRX goes through it, I slide just a little bit but I keep the power on and stance as profiled as you can be for such a predicament. Not a problem. However, the snake hits it and starts to spin. Mad spinning. Like a freaking top. He goes right off the road, flips twice and rolls into a column of the overpass. I turn it around, hop over to the opposing traffic lane and run to see if the guy is a casuality.

Smoke, burning oil, gas leakage and and other mayhem. The guy was saved by the airbag, and he wasen't too cool for the seatbelt so he wore it too. Other people stopped and EMT +fire +cops were dispacthed. The guy had a few fractured ribs, a swolen ankle because the floorboard crumpled up to almost halfway in the floorwell and was burnt up a bit from the airbags and somehow hot oil got inside the cab, and on his legs.

Yes, the car was wasted. I now have the snake ornament from what was left of the front grille as a momento of the occasion. I had mixed feelings about this - this guy was an egotistical prick who thought his skills were enhanced by the car and by virtue of nomenclature.
    Last edited by Master Of Pain; 04-26-2003 at 10:46 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This was not cool. And not a good read. Sorry dude.

I don't really know what to say...
    RWD<AWD
    At least he was semi-OK
    Ahh the sound of a spooling turbo and a woo wooo
    Bubb Rubb is the man.

Whoa, wasn't expecting that... I'm glad that he wasn't hurt too badly and is alive.

Street racing is one thing, but road racing is another, I mean road racing on the street or whatever. I've never done it, not "against" another car at least, but it sounds like that guy wanted to pass you real bad and got caught up in his emotions+lack of driver skill.

Wow. If he is driving hard enough to crash like that then both of you guys are driving too fast for the road. I don't know how awesome of a driver you are but **** can happen, and you gotta have a margin of safety to hold on to. My threshold of speed on the street is really low.

Hope what happened to that poor SOB doesn't happen to you.
    - Capt Crunch

Well damn.. MOP i guess you put him to sleep. Havn't seen you posting here in a while. I would say it was that other guys fault and he put it on himself for being too over confident while MOP was just trying to have a conversation about L's and etc.

Excellent. What a perfect object lessen.

Did the same to my brand new 5.0 back in 1990 (racing myself). Had the car for approx. 3 or 4 hours.

I bet, much like myself, that that guy thinks twice about going beyond limits he's never attempted before, and thinks 3 times about doing it on a public road.

The Chevy Citation and Buick Sommerset that I had to drive after that ensured that I didn't do any street racing for years to come. It's hard to pay a car payment on a wrecked car you can't drive AND pay high risk insurance on a beater.

I drive the piss out of my WRX now, but it's during AutoX and at the strip. At least I do have the knowledge that if I wanted to get freaky in it, wherever I'm driving, I can trust my car and myself.

I would never want to sound preachy, but I figure that both participants were men and capable of making their own decisions. The Cobra dude decided to take his car to the limit, and the WRX owner decided to buy driving insurance (a WRX).
    Last edited by GPatrick; 04-27-2003 at 01:06 PM.

I think I might be the only one that kinda laughed after reading that story. I hope a lesson was taught to the driver of that Cobra, that no matter what you drive, every car has its limits, and that goes doubly so for the driver. Maybe wrecking his new Cobra will stop him down the road from doing something just as stupid but instead of hurting himself, taking out an innocent family in the process. I hope the cobra badge serves its purpose and reminds you of the fine line between life and death.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

Thats a terrible ordeal, but you play with fire, you get burned ya know? Thats pretty cool that you got the badge

I just remembered why I don't read kill stories.

im crying! im sorry, but svt cobras... *sighs* those are extreme cars! im not into american muscle, but cmon, you have to admire that car. im glad i wasnt that guy right now though. and you probably are too. im glad you didnt crash your wrx.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

MOP you deserve to be thrown in jail.. and if you were caught in most states you would.....
    03 Cobra Satin Silver
    kenne bell sc

Originally posted by |T3|
    MOP you deserve to be thrown in jail.. and if you were caught in most states you would.....
    Why? It was the other guy's over confidence that made the wreck.

Alot of mixed responses here. (T3) - and where did in my inital post did I ever say that I broke the speed limit? Do you know what the speed limit is on this particular road, if there is one? You assume much.

I didn't destroy his vehicle, he did. And Mr T3 seems to fall under the stereotype that I have observed with the Cobra crowd.

I think the displeasure stems from the fact that this was a DRIVERS skill contest that involved car handling and not a DRAG race. Novel concept!
    Last edited by Master Of Pain; 04-28-2003 at 08:26 AM.

this may be bout kill stories.....but i don't think anyone is taking it literally.........you should really think twice bout posting things like this.....everyone here is just doing it for the fun of it......and ya know, even if it wasn't your fault.....you should really think twice bout postin it still
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast