EVO Kill #2 for me...

This is a discussion on EVO Kill #2 for me... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I had a chance the other night to race an Evolution on the highway.. It was the second Evo I ...

EVO Kill #2 for me...

I had a chance the other night to race an Evolution on the highway.. It was the second Evo I had a chance to race, but the first race sucked and was very short in 3rd gear and I pulled like 1/2 a car; this time was much better (and a different car and owner too) Here is what happened..

We raced like 6 or 7 times on the highway from starting in 2nd gear, and one from an 3rd gear roll(but that 3rd gear one was cut short due to traffic).

This is what happened.. I summed the races up here because the results were consistent and it wouldn't make sense to post 6 different races with same results etc.

Each race was from 2nd gear varying between 30-40mph each time; In second gear we are neck and neck(thats 40-65mph), in 3rd gear we are still close but I pulled about 1/4 of a car in each race. 3rd gear is from 65mph-90mph. Once I shifted into 4th, I pulled very hard on him, pulling about an car and a half more on him from 90mph, to 125mph(yes we raced that fast a few times ).

I'm very happy I can beat an EVO, but of course his car is stock and once he mods it the fun is over for me But being able to beat an 271hp evolution with an 227hp wrx is sweet
    Last edited by PaulRex; 04-26-2003 at 10:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Mods please.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Yeah i talked to paul... 4th gear tho amazes me since you are on the stock turbo i believe...

4th gear can be improved with the onset of enough boost. 4th gear with 17 psi of boost w/ engine management of course pulls decently. The thing is that at 4th gear RPM right after you shift out of 3rd the stock hairdryer is still boosing 17. This equals torque.

Mods as requested:

K&N panel filter w/resonator mod
    Samco IC hoses
    Samco radiator hoses
    GFB pullies
    STI clutch disc w/STI RA pressure plate
    STI grp. N engine/tranny mounts
    STI hoodscoop
    JUN flywheel
    Perrin upipe
    Stromung catless downpipe connected to 2.5inch aluminized piping I had made at an exhuast shop back to an universal 2.25inch inner diameter straight thru muffler. Yeah it's cheap, but it sounds/works good
    UNICHIP Stg.2 map, with the boost up at 17psi (it came at 16.5psi peak without opening the ABC so I raised it alittle)

Misc. MY01 RS rims with RE730s
    Last edited by PaulRex; 04-26-2003 at 10:18 PM.

Cool racing.......

nice kills... one of these days i am sure i will run up on one... just been looking around for more parts and found buschurracing.com and on there main page it shows a new EVO VIII with a 12.6? something 1/4... that's fast if that's the stock turbo.. damn it's going to be hard to beat once modded.....

nice kills

yes there are a couple evo's running mid 12s so far on stock turbo with 4-5 mods. the stock turbo was used in dsms for years to run low 12s or faster so mid 12s should be relatively easy.
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Oh yeah, mid 12s should be cake in that car.. One owner I talked to (you know him, Al freidman) is making 280WHP with only an HKS computer, AFC, and 3inch catless turboback exhuast..(and tuning). Thats pretty sweet IMO.

But I was real happy when I beat the Evo that night, I was smiling the whole time... I'll leave racing modded ones to the lucky STI owners

hmph..

If I remember correctly... you raced an SRT before, right? and lost I believe???

then... hmmm... SRT pulls on Evo?

Well then let me enlighten you..

1.I raced the Neon again and I won, barely by the middle of 4th I was ahead( by half a car - I had raised the boost and dumped my passenger from the last time I raced him, he dumped a passenger too from the last time i raced him also)

2. When I raced him I was using an MBC with the stock, computer now I have an UNICHIP stg.2 now so my car is probably faster then when I raced him, it feels like it is anyway

So I would say, no, srt-4s don't pull on Evos.. well the neon did hang with me in 4th better than the EVO did hmm.. I'd like to see that race actually. It would have to be from an roll of course as the Evolution would just own an Neon in the 1/4mile(as would my car)

Originally posted by PaulRex
    Well then let me enlighten you..

1.I raced the Neon again and I won, barely by the middle of 4th I was ahead( by half a car - I had raised the boost and dumped my passenger from the last time I raced him, he dumped a passenger too from the last time i raced him also)

2. When I raced him I was using an MBC with the stock, computer now I have an UNICHIP stg.2 now so my car is probably faster then when I raced him, it feels like it is anyway

So I would say, no, srt-4s don't pull on Evos.. well the neon did hang with me in 4th better than the EVO did hmm.. I'd like to see that race actually. It would have to be from an roll of course as the Evolution would just own an Neon in the 1/4mile(as would my car)
    I'm enlightened..

Sounds like you had fun. I guess I have to post my race vs. an EVO yesterday.
    293.2 hp to the ground
    267 lb/ft torque to the ground
    VF-30 Setup

Originally posted by THE ONE
    Sounds like you had fun. I guess I have to post my race vs. an EVO yesterday.
    Yes, yes you do.

New England Dragway last Fri. The evo's and srt4's were both running low 14's. stock rex's running mid to high 14's. So to answer your question a srt4 may pull on a lancer.

Cheers,

Jim
    04 WRX Wagon
    WR Blue
    02 WRX Sedan Black
    13.517@99.87

Why would an evo run low 14's in the 1/4 w/ 270hp and all wheel drive... sounds like someone needs to learn how to launch... and shift... and maybe push the gas all the way down.
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!