WRX vs Porche

This is a discussion on WRX vs Porche within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So, I just got my first mods done. Turbo XS stealth with a Prodrive, and I got to test it ...

WRX vs Porche

So, I just got my first mods done. Turbo XS stealth with a Prodrive, and I got to test it out very soon after. I'm on my way home from a friends at about 11:30 p.m. and I get onto a 3 lane road. Right when I get on the road I notice that there is a Porche behind me. The light ahead turns red and he changes lanes to pull up along side of me. I'm not exactly sure what kind of Porche it was. I think Boxters only come in convertable and I dont think he had a convertable, so maybe it was a Carrera. Whatever it was, it couldn't have been more than a year old. He doesn't look my way, but does rev a couple times, so I rev back. As the light turns green we both get great launches. We are neck and neck through 3rd, then the next light turns red. We look at each other and he's smiling and nodding. We go again, same result, dead even. Then we go a third time, same result. We topped out at about 95mph on our second run then let off. There was definitely no clear winner on any runs... pretty much dead even.

I was pretty damn impressed that I could hold my own with a Porche, no matter what model Porche it was. The guy driving the Porche was no slouch either, that's for sure. Perfect launches every time. Damn that was fun... but I do have one concern. When I just reached 7000 rpm's in third gear, the throttle seemed to cut out. I know that's a bit high, but I didn't think it would cut like that. Any ideas? Anyway, it was fun!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good kill man. I don't know what to tell you about the cut off because I can rev mine up to 7300 rpm without hitting the cut off. But you don't make power up there anyway, I just found out by accident.
    293.2 hp to the ground
    267 lb/ft torque to the ground
    VF-30 Setup

Nice race...way to be a good driver
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

the limiter starts to kick in at 7 grand
    A lot of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more more is...

yeah, I accidently held it at 7g's for a few secs and it cut me off, cant miss it

7000 rpm shifts makes you run slower

Good race, but you should have shifted between 6000 and 6500 rpm. When I was at the track a few months back, I was able to pull 14.1 in the quarter mile with 1-3 gears and missing 4th, so I rolled to the end in neutral. When I ran all the way to 7000 rpm in all gears (1-3), I was only able to pull 14.4. By running to redline (assuming you are using the stock turbo and intercooler) you are about 1/2 slower (for the 95 mph race because that was the speed at the end of my 1/4 mi. race). By the way, my 14.1 ended up with 90 mph. I think you raced a Boxster with awd, probably a Boxster S. You would have beat it by a car length if you shifted a little earlier.

Re: 7000 rpm shifts makes you run slower

Originally posted by YellowWRX
    I think you raced a Boxster with awd, probably a Boxster S. You would have beat it by a car length if you shifted a little earlier.
    Just to clear up a couple of things:

As far as I know, there is no such a thing as an AWD Porsche Boxter. Both (Boxter), and (Boxter S) are RWD cars. The Porsche Boxter comes with a soft top convertible, unless you order a hard top for it. What you probably raced was a Boxter S with the hard top option.

Sotbas: Did you hear his tires spin?
    Did he stay with you on the launch? or did he catch up later?

The Boxter S is slightly quicker than a WRX. Here are the stats:

www.car-stats.com

Car-Stats.com Report for 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Obtained from C&D October, 2001
    0-60: 5.4 Transmission: Manual
    1/4 Mile: 14.1
    1/4 Speed: 96

Car-Stats.com Report for 2001 Porsche Boxster S
    Obtained from MT August, 2001
    0-60: 5.4 Transmission: Manual
    1/4 Mile: 13.9
    1/4 Speed: 100

The stats are very much alike, so this would be more of a driver's race.

The only other Porsche w/ AWD that it could have been, would be the Carrera 4, or Carrera 4s w/ a bad driver.

Car-Stats.com Report for 1999 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
    Obtained from C&D May, 1999
    0-60: 5 Transmission: Unknown
    1/4 Mile: 13.5
    1/4 Speed: 104

Sorry for the long post.

Carrera 4S
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 911c4s1_8x6.jpg  
    Last edited by AWD Turbo 4; 04-27-2003 at 03:16 PM.

I don't think they make a Boxster with AWD... Porsche designates AWD with "4", don't they? I could be wrong...
    '90 MTX White Taurus SHO
    Soon to be installed:
    Cold Air Induction Snorkel
    80mm Pro Flow MAF
    69mm Throttle Body
    Hand Ported and Polished Intake Runners
    40mm Big bore butterflies
    Hi-Flow Y-pipe w/cats
    Lifetime Performance Module

"I just wish someone would call me 'sir'... without adding 'you're making a scene'". -Homer Simpson

one more.....

Porsche Carrera 4S
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 911c4s2_8x6.jpg  

I did hear his tires spin... pretty much an average sounding spin, not too long not too short... but he definitely got a great launch. He did pretty much stay even with me on the launch... it was basically dead even the entire time right down to the launch.

I guess it was a Boxter with a hard top then, since this guy didn't seem to be a bad driver. I guess the stats hold true, very evenly matched. I cant wait to do it again!