WRX vs St Hwy Patrol Plane

This is a discussion on WRX vs St Hwy Patrol Plane within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was kind of racing this mid-90's mustang on the interstate, I was going 95 and he was trying to ...

cef

WRX vs St Hwy Patrol Plane

I was kind of racing this mid-90's mustang on the interstate, I was going 95 and he was trying to catch up. All of a sudden I slowed down to 70 cuz there were 2 State Patrol cars on the shoulder, then they start following us and one turns on his lights and sirens right behind me, and I'm like WTF? Radar detector doesn't even beep. I pull over and the Man asks me how fast I was driving. I said "I know I was going over 80." He said they had 2 landmarks 660 feet apart and this patrol plane up above timed me between the 2 landmarks and calculated my speed to 92mph. And I did notice a plane flying around. Part of me wanted to say "INCORRECT, I was actually going 95" The other part of me gave that Homer Simpson "D'OH". In a way I felt lucky cuz earlier in the day I was going 120 racing (owning) another mustang. While sitting in the patrol car I asked him how many seconds it took me to pass through the landmarks, he said he could get that info from that patrol pilot. I told him I wanted to know so I could post my 660 ft patrol landmark times beneath my signature on clubwrx.net. He just kind of looked at me. What's crazy is I knew the officer. I work at a local hospital and even treated him through ER when he wrecked his patrol car a couple of yrs ago. He knew who I was and we were even laughing at that strory. He's even stopped me once before and let me go but not this time. The Patrol had a field day this afternoon, while still sitting in the car I noticed 3 other officers stopping separate cars.
    04 STI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah I heard about this technique.... I think its called vascar or something or nadar??? LOL I forgot the term but it is basically just calculations from one point to another with time.

vascar is what its called..i always scan the skies when speeding haha

That's pretty wack. I would set up a SAM battery in the trunk of my WRX to handle that situation.

What's always concerned me about that type of clocking is the inherent error involved due to the manual timing. Some guy starts & stops a stopwatch and calculates your time. Meanwhile, if his reflexes are off just a quarter of a second, that could be a huge change in your speed.

That's not something precise enough I'd feel justified in writing tickets on. Then again, they've got fundraising to do.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

The use the same thing with interstate tollways. If you ever travel on the Jersey, Indiana, Penn.,Ohio turnpikes, look at the little ticket they give you. It has a code for excessive speed. I just got back from Chicago and def. exceeded the speed limit and they didn't give this code. So its more of an optional thing for them. But, people have told me they've gotten pulled over at the exiting toll booth and given a ticket for getting from one place to another in so little amount of time.

You can avoid tickets such as the one described by monitoring highway patrol radio frequencies. In California you can listen in to 154.905 Mhz and will clearly hear discussions between the planes and the cars long before you get to the "danger zone". Police radio frequencies are public information and can be obtained from (among other sources) Radio Shack frequency listing books. All you need is a "scanner" or other VHF/UHF receiver and you are in business.

I know they do this a lot in Louisiana. Speed limit is 70 and you better go 70 or else.
    Dom
    03 Platinum Silver WRX

if you see big white markers on the side of the road you are entering vascar territory. A radar detector isnt gonna do anything for you here.

If you suspect you have been targeted by vascar pull over on the side of the road and slowly inch toward the next white marker without passing it Wait some time... longer if you are going faster then pull out and drive normally.

Or you can drive like a grandma to increase your average time between two points.

Originally posted by Master Of Pain
    That's pretty wack. I would set up a SAM battery in the trunk of my WRX to handle that situation.
    \

Hehe best idea so far:lol:

I got hit w/a vascar ticket and in court I said that an average human had X reaction time, and that using this he could be +- like 18mph, i also *****ed about paralax error...they took 10mph off my speed. o well i tried

About the Louisiana thing I don't think anyone goes 70mph if you go 70 you are likely to get run over. When I set my cruise at 80 i get passed all day long.
    --Tony

2002.5 Mazda Protege5
    1997 Mazda Miata STO Edition #774-1500 (Sold)
    2003 WRX Silver Sedan
    -STi Grill
    -STi Projectors
    -Aust Spec 17' wheels

Originally posted by CKxx
    I got hit w/a vascar ticket and in court I said that an average human had X reaction time, and that using this he could be +- like 18mph, i also *****ed about paralax error...they took 10mph off my speed. o well i tried

That totally would have been me....fight the law with physics

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.