WRX vs Sheriff - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX vs Sheriff within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The Detector will have to be there for the next time....

The Detector will have to be there for the next time.
    "Well kids you tried and didn't succeed, the important thing to remember here is...... Never Try." - Homer

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My Valentine KICKS ASK!!!! I love that thing. It is so nice to be able to know where the dang cop is so you can look for them and not just getting a blank beep beep like my old cobra. THE V1 is totally worth it!!!

RJ
    Car for sale for 13,500 with 60k on the car an 18k on the motor/tranny(Silver Sedan with 5spd)

Here's another good page to check out for radar detectors:

http://www.radartest.com/

Talk about your good luck
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

Radar detectors are good and helpful and all, but its not gonna help all the time. I almost prefer not to have one, I don't in my car and when I drive my dad's I think he has a cobra of some kind. Anyway, it just seems to make me feel invincible and I've had some close calls where it went off at the last second. I think the best defense is to just know the streets, where the cops like to sit and also be able to identify different cars at night. I'm very observant when I drive and I get the "feeling" whenever there are impala or crown vic headlights within sight.

Or just drive the speed limit...but thats no fun

Originally posted by solak321
    Radar detectors are good and helpful and all, but its not gonna help all the time. I almost prefer not to have one, I don't in my car and when I drive my dad's I think he has a cobra of some kind. Anyway, it just seems to make me feel invincible and I've had some close calls where it went off at the last second. I think the best defense is to just know the streets, where the cops like to sit and also be able to identify different cars at night. I'm very observant when I drive and I get the "feeling" whenever there are impala or crown vic headlights within sight.

Or just drive the speed limit...but thats no fun
    Gotta agree with you 100%!!!

I know it's probably safe to have one, but I know myself too damn well. If I had one, I'd be driving insanely fast on the highways all the time. I was doing 90mph one day, and a SUV was up the road in the left. I was coming up on it pretty fast. I'm guessing it was doing 65 to 70. 65mph zone. I was about to cut on the right and pass him, but he merged to the right for me. OK, cool! I keep going, and suddenly I have that bad feeling. That gut feeling you're right about to pass an unmarked cop! I eased the break right as about to be side by side with him... Kept it eased... Passed, and let go, just so the brake light wouldn't be on to see it... Next thing sirens and friggin lights were flashing at me, the cop is tailing my butt insanely close... When I passed him, I just doing exactly 80, which they don't harass you for around here. I merged right, and he came side by side as I went down to about 65, thinking I was going to get a ticket... And he just passes me, and left me alone! had I not had that instinct feeling, I would have been caught doing 90... Ticketed if not arrested. I thank my lucky stars I just get that feeling when one is in the area. A radar detector, and I wouldn't think twice about it. And as you also said... KNOW THE ROADS! There a little more to the rest of the story at the end... Where the cop pulled a sick joke on me, SuperTroopers style!!! It was NOT funny! Least to me it wasn't! Never let anyone tell you a cop can't terrorize you!

As for you not getting a ticket! LUCKY!
    Probably similar situation to the above, since the cop had no idea had fast I was going until he came behind me, and by that time, I was doing 80, which they don't bug you for here on the 65 zones.
    Last edited by Zapix; 04-22-2003 at 10:45 PM.

man...that feeling never goes away when you see those lights in the mirror, that hot flash and tingly feeling and the "**** **** **** **** ****" going through your head...i`ve been lucky to never have them been for me *knock on wood*

there was one time involving 110mph a silver bmw, an on ramp and a late night stretch of freeway...i passed the bmw doing said speed...slowed down about amile after,he caught up and blew by,then slowed down..and then a cop came flying up,pulled beside me,kept going and pulled the bmw over about 10 feet in front of me,i bet that guy was pissed

To avoid tickets and friendly meetings

Detector and open eyes are neccessary. If there is a cop on the dark shoulder of the highway at night and you are just keeping your eyes open will not help. You can't see radar being used ahead just like radar can't see mere police presence. If you would like to have fun you might need both. Oh yeah (no disrespect, but) any Cobra detector is useless. I've owned them and they are like depending on novelty condoms from a vending machine...if you know what I mean

AJ
    "You have to let it all go; fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free...your mind."

You can run, but between my Glock and My WRX- you will only die tired.

2002 Black WRX Sedan RIP 08.24.04
    2005 Black WRX STi 09.14.04

Originally posted by Wrinkleboi
    it varies by state, but if you were clocked at 125+ then it is very likely that your car would have been impounded and you would have spent at least one night in jail. it also would have cost a lot more than $200...
    so if you take that as justification to spend twice that on your car, so be it . you are very lucky, my guess is it would have been much worse than you realize...
    o-|-<) bryan
    I agree with Wrinkleboi.

You would have been without a car for at least a day, plus whatever the price is for over 2x the speed limit out there. I say you could justify at least $500.

Re: To avoid tickets and friendly meetings

Originally posted by Twanz02WRX
    Detector and open eyes are neccessary. If there is a cop on the dark shoulder of the highway at night and you are just keeping your eyes open will not help. You can't see radar being used ahead just like radar can't see mere police presence. If you would like to have fun you might need both. Oh yeah (no disrespect, but) any Cobra detector is useless. I've owned them and they are like depending on novelty condoms from a vending machine...if you know what I mean

AJ
    right on both is best i have a pasport 8500 and if a cop has his gun on i know like two blocks away

I got a cheap Cobra. It works OK but I dont rely on it. I try to kep it around 80 on the highway. The police will usually let that slide in a 70. My buddy has a Valintine. When I asked about $$ he just mumbled something about a $1200 ticket and said its paid for itself already.

I have really only opened up my car once on the highway. Last Summer they were rebuilding a bridge on I-75. I got on the highway just south of it and there wasn't a soul around. I ran it up to 135 then I started gaining on traffic.

I have had tons of compliments and questions about my car from police. When I had my Borla one mentioned it to be kinda loud but said not to change it, it sounded great. I had a Prodrive muffler on it @ 2 weeks later needless to say.

By the way, you are one lucky guy to have that happen. In MI 20+ over is a reckless driving if the officer wants it to be. 6 pts. ain't cheap on insurance either.
    You boys up from the Iron League? Lotsa fights?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.