WRX vs 95 Camaro z28 SS
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs 95 Camaro z28 SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; OK here's the scoop all, i was formally challenged along with 1 bill on the line. my WRX vs his ...

WRX vs 95 Camaro z28 SS

OK here's the scoop all, i was formally challenged along with 1 bill on the line. my WRX vs his 95 camaro z28 SS. thing is tho, i'm not sure whether or not i can win or not. from what i understand he's got an automatic, and it is a used car which he's buying soon that has almost 100,000 miles on it. I think it'll be a close race, with maybe me pulling ahead. oh yeah, i'm only 140lb 24 yr old, and he's a near 300lb 30-something yearold. Tell me what all of you guys think.

--RaCinWRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

95 makes it an LT1. Assuming he doesn't have an intake and exhaust and you are a good driver with a 5-speed and drop the clutch at 5,000rpm you can take him.

My advice, throw in a Joe P MBC set at 16psi and MAKE SURE you win.

-Jim

Yeah i got a 5 speed, and although i'm no pro drag racer in the 1/4 mile, i been practicing just about everyday with my take offs. and i've always been naturally aggressive with my old geo prizm days, heh. both stock as far as i can tell. but my friend says the 95 camaro isn't an LT1. (although he isn't absolutely sure)

---RaCinWRX

oh how i wish i could drop some money for the mods.. i'm about to say lets race for 1 large!! buy the mods b4 hand and then make it back with the race

dude dude... Joe P is only 40 BUCKS!! .... you should add that just to make sure you dont loose hehe. Its a good mod and really cheap.. You wont have any problem beating him this way

-John

40 BUCKS???? where at???? which website?gimmegimmegimme

Get a $100 boost controller to give you a fighting chance or win.
    Stock a WRX can take an LT1 off the line but thats about it. An LT1 will have alot more speed up top. If you race a full 1/4 mile, I would put my money on the LT1. If you know how to launch your WRX. (5k let her rip) you could win a short race say (1/8 mile).

I watched a guy with a joe p boost controller and a borla catback exhaust only muster 14.6 in the 1/4 mile Saturday at the track. His 60' times where in the 2.2 sec range. That bites big ones for an awd car. I could only imagine what he would have done without the boost controller. This shows how much driver skill plays with the WRX.. Most stock LT1s run low 14s @ 100mph on average. Thats faster than the average WRX. WRX's run mid to high 14s @ 94 mph on average. Some even run mid 14s with boost controllers. My example proves that.

So good luck. Keep the race short and order a boost controller, takes 15min to hookup and you will run a good 1/2 sec faster in the 1/4 mile.

I watched a guy with a joe p boost controller and a borla catback exhaust only muster 14.6 in the 1/4 mile
    that guy was a horrid driver then. out car runs 14.1 sec in the quarter mile bone stock.

pt has a joe p ($50 not $100) and ran 13.8

there you have it. you should be able to run that guy anyways (auto? 100k miles? sionara!)

dR

He will smoke you bad on a roll if its an lt1 v8 camaro. You should be able to take him from a stop to about 40-50? He will probably start to reel you in and walk you from there. SGOWRX used to have some v8 camaros. He knows and you can also tell from those trap speeds.

He's a hustler!!!!! Z28's are fast, and I don't think anyone would lay money on thline if he isn't sure about his abilities. You never know, maybe he was a lot of engine work done to it and it's not visible from the outside.

Becareful...

heh thanks for the warning, well, wish me luck, i'm gonna take him the end of the march. oh and it was me that laid a bill on the line no worries i'll come back with a thrilling story, HE's MINE!!

---the foolhardy RaCinWRX

Question Z28 SS

you did say Z28 SS correct? i raced one today from a start all the way up to 120mph, after that in 4th gear he just kept reeling me in and just looked at me as he cruised by...you might have a chance off the line with a MBC and an exhaust, but stock you will go down unless he spins the tires...good luck though..

a 95' z28 ss, yes. but you see on the high end, of course the z28 will eat the lil subie for lunch. if we go the 1/4 mile or less. the wrx might come out ahead.
    of course nobody knows for sure who'll win. i've done some research and the 96' z28 ss runs a 13.8 1/4 manual. but there's no info on the 95 version. however, the thing that i have going for me is that the fact that he's an automatic. and even tho some of the top race cars in the world are autos, we're talking about everyday street level automatics.

so in comparison, lets say the 95 z28 did run a 13.8 1/4 right? but as a manual. now put in an auto add in a few tenths of a second, and you're right around how fast the wrx runs the 1/4. also he's a big man, so it's like he has another passenger in the car.

as i've said b4 it'll be a close one. but i feel confident that stock vs stock, i may be able to come out on top. BUT!! just in case, i have ordered a BC to make sure i make him look stupid.

---Of course my opinions are biased, go WRX!! RaCinWRX

Just race up to top of 3rd gear then. Right when you hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear is when you cross 1/4 mile line.

If you're serious about getting a Manual boost controller, I'm STILL trying to sell a MBC, boost gauge, and mounting cup for $70. None of it has been opened. Brand new.

First off...

95 is not an SS... 96 was the first year of the SS... Thats why you didn't find any info on a 95 SS...

Those things are "rated" at 305hp, but since this is a 95 and not an SS then its like 275-285...

The 6 speeds are quicker than the autos, although GM's automatics seem to do an ok job of shifting. For comparison, note that most cars with automatics are MUCH slower than their manual counterparts... The Ford Mustangs are dogs with the auto vs the stick...

I've (personally) driven a 93 Z28 6 speed (275hp) at the dragstrip and ran a 14.01 @ 100.6 (totally stock)...
    Some years later, I drove my girlfriend's 97 Formula WS6 (Ram Air, 305hp, but an AUTO which saps a lot more power -- it made 244 to the wheels, but that same day at the dyno a 6 speed NON Ram Air did 268 with exhaust) to a 14.2 @ 97 on a warm (85+ degree day)...

I am not a drag racer, nor do I play one on TV (hehe)

So, figure anywhere from those 2 times is what a LT1 F-Body can run stock...

A manual boost controller would make a great race from a standstill... I think the F-Body has the nod when it comes to races from a roll where traction isn't a factor... Since you are going from a standstill, I'd say that you cut a great 60ft time and you will get him to the quarter... Just remember, he should be right there and pulling on you at the end

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.