WRX vs 95 Camaro z28 SS - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs 95 Camaro z28 SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by LIL SS Now 1 question for all the WRX people.. Why do you raise your tire pressure ...

Originally posted by LIL SS
    Now 1 question for all the WRX people.. Why do you raise your tire pressure to 40+psi for a street race or at the track for that matter? Is it to create less drag in the run? I understand you don't really need to lower you psi from the 32 as you are not traction limited like I am.. Just trying to understand the raising of the tire pressure..
    This is done to induce a slight bit of wheel spin at the launch in an effort to keep the driveline from absorbing all of the 5K clutch drop. It also takes out some of the friction, thus increasing, er actually lowering, the times.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

WRXed.. Thanks for the info.. Same reason I would not run slicks on my stock rear.. Drag Radials only for me until I can shell out the $2k+ for a rear..

I totaly agree with SGO on the LT1 not running better than a 14 stock.. Unless it was a factory freak it might pull a 13.8x.. But given that is in its prime and with 100k miles I'm thinking 14.2 at best (Tail wind, perfect launch and great weather)..
    LETS PLAY

Update!!

On the morning of April 28th, the year two thousand and two; I received a call of urgency on my cell phone. I weerily wiped the cobwebs from my eyes and saw that it was... him. Indeed, I had been awaiting this call for quite some time and now the moment had come.

"Hey RaCin-boy, the z28 is now ready to roll and your a$$ better be ready by high noon." spoke my friend and bitter racing buddy, Cornbread.

High noon, my mind began to drift of thoughts about the showdowns back in the western days; yes, this would finally see to the end of the rivalry between domestic and import, 4-cylinder vs monstrous v8, '95 vs the new '02, and 24 yr old tenacity vs 36 yr old die hard will. It was all of that weighed in one great battle to end the war of words.

In lieu of what has been send on this thread, I prepared for battle. I promptly took out ANYTHING that wasn't bolted down. And gave my ride a good wash for a victory lap i thought would sure to have come directly afterwards.

11:45am

Fifteen minutes till our mights clashed, meanwhile, I enjoyed the scent of the lake our race was to be at. Thinking back to all the homework I had done, the surveying of the area for months; would it all been done in vain? Or would it prove to be his surmise?

Unable to have time to answer these questions, I heard the thunder of v8 engines coming closer. It was like the stampede of horses coming our way, and now i was beginning to tremble with excitement and nerves.

...And there she was in all of her beauty, the '95 camaro I had long awaited to challenge. I remember briefly glancing at my WRX, and thinking that perhaps "Tiffany" did look a bit intimidated to what was to come. However, like a fine horse, I assured her that the battle would soon be over and that there wouldn't be but a scratch to either of us ... I hoped.

High Noon

So it was time. Pulling up to the starting line, we stared each other down. Images flashed of movies between sheriffs vs outlaws, and even outlaws vs outlaws... and this was no different. Revving the engines on each other, our rides growled at each other with anticipation. Having somebody parked near the starting line, the first honk of three rang out. No longer looking at my opponent, I began to feel Tiffany's steering reigns as she growled to my pushing. The second honk came, and I began to only see the finish line about a quarter-mile down. Then like a flash of lightening the third honk came and the thunder of our engines roared.

For those of you who do race, many of you already know that a 1/4 mile is definetely a loooooooong a$$ time. 13 seconds of pure adrenaline and terror, all without thinking.

Reaching to our guns we drew, and we both drew well. Coming off the line like no other, i jumped to what i thought, an insurmountable lead of about 2 car lengths.

Cocking back the hammer, in one fluid motion to 2nd, i kept holdof my lead, only to hear the thuderous v8 beast screaming back out to me as it began to close the gap.

Taking aim with 3rd, I punched it with all i could muster. The final testament of guts and glory, I could already see that she was nearing my bumper.

Pulling the trigger in 4th, the finish line somehow seemed as if it was beckoning our beasts forward to their goal.

Then.... it was over.... Cornbread fell onto the street slumped over with a bullet to his heart. How could this be? Wiping the sweat from his brow, he handed me my benjamin, and let his death seep slowly in as i walked calmly away.

Till the next race, my next showdown.

--RaCinWRX
    Last edited by RaCinWRX; 04-29-2002 at 03:05 PM.

BRAVO!

Nice story and KILL man. 2 Lengths on the jump!
    JDM STi Uppipe
    Kartboy Short Shifter
    Lead Foot

Favorite Passenger Comment: I feel like we're about to go lightspeed!

Good kill, but answer me this, Was it a 95 SS after all??
    LETS PLAY

Nope, unfortunately it wasn't. I think the ss was only made for 96 versions and up. i'm a bit unsure. still it was a really good race vs a 95 z28

--RaCinWRX

I see people saying your cars run 14.1 stock. I have read the articles in the mags but has anyone on this board run their wrx stock? i have been to the track and i have seen 4 different wrx's run. One of which is my brothers who ran a 14.0 with the visnu stage 0 kit. The other three were stock as far as i know i didn't talk to them but they ran 14.9--15.0---14.7 now those numbers are far off from a 14.1 and once again i know what the mags say but i haven't seen anyone duplicate those numbers or even come close with a stock wrx. Also with the Z28 the 1995's ran mid 14s not high 13s. I would piss my pants if i saw a mid 90s z28 break into the 13s bone stock, but who knows i have seen stranger things. I raced a 1996 Z28 with my car i run a 13.9 and i walked away from him bad, he was a 6 speed with intake and exhaust i talked to him after we raced. I am guessing he would have run a mid 14 with how the race was looking from my perspective. Good luck with the race, if you can run what the mags say then you should be able to win, but i have yet to see a 14.1 stock wrx.

Turbos are wierd like that i guess. depends on temperature and altitude. what about the skills of the driver? when i raced mine stock tho i got 14.4s of course what you hear about the 14.1s is actually from car and driver mag (or similar mag) who got guys that know what they're doin and i also believe they went to conditions that best suited the wrx for the fastest possible run.

also if you read this thread thoroughly, this z28 was an automatic. AND he's about 100lbs heavier than i am. the race was kinda close with him nearing my bumper at the end.

--RaCinWRX

Z28

I raced my friend with a '94 lt1 6 speed that dynos at 410 I beat him up to 85 mph then he smoked me. I am bone stock but killed him off the line. Keep it short and get a good start and youll do fine

Re: Z28

Originally posted by pwrslide
    I raced my friend with a '94 lt1 6 speed that dynos at 410 I beat him up to 85 mph then he smoked me. I am bone stock but killed him off the line. Keep it short and get a good start and youll do fine
    Tad bit late in my reply sorry

Congrats on the kill! And, I might add, you definitely wax poetic!
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

GREAT STORY!!!

Racin,

You need to write a novel man!! That's good stuff.

You preparations make me proud that you took earning your money seriously.

Let me get this straight, did you run stock or get a boost controller?

My cousin just bought a 1993 Z-28 Automatic with a blown head gasket and did the cylinder heads and headgasket. He's running 14.0 with a bad cat. We are headed to the track tonight to see what she'll do with a new cat. I'll be seeing how my beast runs in her current form. (I shelved the Link)

I'm glad you took my advice on the tire pressures. I tell everyone who races on stock tire to put in 40psi. I'll bet your launch was awesome! Two cars lengths!

Keep up the good work (and, oh yeah, don't get in trouble)!!!

-Jim

My money's on the WRX

For the record, GM F Body's are extremely inconsistent performers. DO NOT let the posted magazine times fool you. Some of the cars aren't making nearly what the factory claims. I bet the cars that C&D gets for review have been thoroughly checked, if not blueprinted, for the best example of the lot. I have beaten and I have gotten beat by these cars. Cars i've beaten include a 6 speed, 98 Firebird with the V8, and a 97SS Z28. I lost by 3 car lengths to a 2001 WS6 Ram Air T/A with 6 speed, the race was from 80 to 120. I think i could have kept up around town. With the difference in HP, he should have killed me. Bottom Line, you never know. Since then i've bolted on a turbo back exhaust from TurboXS and an M2 Uppipe. Unichip should be in this week. BRING ON ANY RAM AIRS!!!

Heh, thanks a lot plat! funnily enough, i always made C's in English class growing up!! my content was always great, but grammar and run-ons and fragments always killed me

Glad ya'll liked the story tho, it took me quite a bit of time to write it perfectly

--RaCinWRX

oh yeah, just a EBC turned to a preset of 16.5 psi (which also probly explains my big jump!)
    i know that's higher than normal, but i just have that for those 14s or less.

I know per this thread i said i'd go stock, but cornbread said it'd be aight, cause he replaced a few small things that needed replacing anyways in the engine.
    Last edited by RaCinWRX; 04-30-2002 at 08:41 AM.

Re: My money's on the WRX

Originally posted by pimpreza69
    For the record, GM F Body's are extremely inconsistent performers. DO NOT let the posted magazine times fool you. Some of the cars aren't making nearly what the factory claims. I bet the cars that C&D gets for review have been thoroughly checked, if not blueprinted, for the best example of the lot. I have beaten and I have gotten beat by these cars. Cars i've beaten include a 6 speed, 98 Firebird with the V8, and a 97SS Z28. I lost by 3 car lengths to a 2001 WS6 Ram Air T/A with 6 speed, the race was from 80 to 120. I think i could have kept up around town. With the difference in HP, he should have killed me. Bottom Line, you never know. Since then i've bolted on a turbo back exhaust from TurboXS and an M2 Uppipe. Unichip should be in this week. BRING ON ANY RAM AIRS!!!

It's not the F-body so much that is an inconsistant preformer, It's the driver!!! Should I go on to say, (In my best impression of Sam Kinasen) "AAOOHH don't believe the times these WRX's run.. AOOHHHHH They range anywhere from 14.1 in magazines AOH to 15.5's when people don't know how to drive.. AAOOH AAOOHH AOOOHHH.. "

My point is any and every car has a wide spread of times because of DRIVERS!!! The WRX may be a little less in consistant with the aid of AWD. But in reality they are inconsistant too..

Have a nice day, please drive through!!!
    LETS PLAY

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.