WRX vs 95 Camaro z28 SS - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs 95 Camaro z28 SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 2.0 guy, I do play a dragracer on TV and I've beaten many a NEW Z-28 and Firebird through the ...

2.0 guy,

I do play a dragracer on TV and I've beaten many a NEW Z-28 and Firebird through the 1/4 at Atco. The LS1 is a far superior engine to the LT1 and automatics are always slower (but more consistent) than manuals.

I agree with everything you said. Racin must go from a dead stop to a little less than a 1/4 mile (ideally) with his car tuned as well as mine and him driving as well as me in order to GUARANTEE victory against a '95 Z-28.

Intake resonator removed, MBC set at 16.5psi, drop the clutch at 5,000rpm. Kick ass.

-Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Notice what I highlighted in bold in your quote... thats the real key to victory...

You dont have to tell me about how superior the LS1 is -- I used to own a 99 Vette... It was a constant reminder to me of why the Vette cost more... (granted, you can get the LS1 in the F-body, but the rest of the car is still better when you get the Vette). The LS1 had a much more even powerband, while the LT1 peter'd out around 5000...

Given the difference in trap speeds between the LS1s and the WRXs, its pretty assured the LS1 is travelling faster AT the finish line... too bad he didn't get there first -- what drag racing is about... hehe

Seeing your times for JUST the MBC has me encouraged, as I am getting a Unichip very soon... Up til now, I've got only a Perrin up-pipe and a boost gauge... The up-pipe makes a nice difference, so with that and the Unichip and MORE BOOST, it should be a killer little wagon... hehe... Eventually, I'll do a catless downpipe but I want to keep the car as stock sounding as possible, want no CELs (fingers crossed if I do the downpipe) and money is a bit of a limiting factor at the moment too... I've got friends that have dropped lots o cash in their WRXs, but I can't do the same... Still, I'd like to maximize performance without things like the bigger turbo, full exhaust, etc...

ET is very much driver dependent, while MPH really isn't... your times show that you've got drag racing in the WRX down to a T

keep up the great work!

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    2.0 guy,

I do play a dragracer on TV and I've beaten many a NEW Z-28 and Firebird through the 1/4 at Atco. The LS1 is a far superior engine to the LT1 and automatics are always slower (but more consistent) than manuals.

I agree with everything you said. Racin must go from a dead stop to a little less than a 1/4 mile (ideally) with his car tuned as well as mine and him driving as well as me in order to GUARANTEE victory against a '95 Z-28.

Intake resonator removed, MBC set at 16.5psi, drop the clutch at 5,000rpm. Kick ass.

-Jim

I'll take him out stock!! and show everybody what a stock wrx can do!!

----the now extremely foolhardy, RaCinWRX

Lemme give you a tip that works for 4 and 6 cyl. engines. Make sure you are running on FUMES when it's time to race. My 3000GT was a lot quicker on the last quarter of a tank than full. Gas is heavy, and it's like racing with 3 passengers. Maybe he won't remember to do this and give you another advantage. V8's aren't as effected by the weight because they have monster tourqe.

Also, I used to have a '93 Firebird LT1. It was an auto, and for the size of the engine, didn't move as fast as it should have. My 3000GT N/A (heavily modded) was faster. Despite what some are saying, I liked the firebird off the line, but on the freeway, it seemed slower from a say 75-100mph run.
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

Thanks for the tips, however i've already thought long and hard on my preparations to beat him. Indeed, i will be running on the last quarter of my gas. Also i'm gonna to remove my spare and jack. plus empty out the trunk (books for school and such) and make sure the A/C or heater is off. on top of this, i've measured the course where we are supposed to run at, and it's short of a 1/4 mile. and i've been practicing on that speedway every other week night.

hahah and as per this thread, i will not be running my BC on the highest setting, just to prove to everybody that stock vs stock, we can beat the 95 z28's.

---Impetuous RaCinWRX

oh yes, and after reading a lot of the posts, i'll be running my tires at 40psi just for that race, and let it back to 33 psi after i'm done.

I would try to slip the clutch instead of dumping it...

when you dump it, it actually cause the rear wheel to spin a bit, plus it puts tons of stress on your tranny.

I know a few guys who blew out their 1st gears...

if you slip it, it'll smell like old wet towels, but whats a $300 clutch compared to a $6000 transmission.

but who knows, it works for others, but might not work for you.

I say try it a few times before you take on that race...=)

good luck!

Tommy

Have a friend hide in the bushes beside the road the night yall pull up to race. While each of you are revving and getting ready to run your friend needs to run out and put chauks on the back wheels of the Z28. Have a camera too, you need to see this guys face when he realizes what just happened!

I will be slipping the clutch... no worries on that one.

hahahah the chalk idea is great.. but i'm sure he'll kick all of our little butts afterwards.

--RaCinWRX

Originally posted by RaCinWRX
    hahahah the chalk idea is great.. but i'm sure he'll kick all of our little butts afterwards.

--RaCinWRX
    Gotta catch you first!

hhmmm this sounds like a good excuse to get a turbo upgrade. hehehe i know i know, im that devil on your shoulder poking you with my pitch fork, "YOU NEED THE TURBO!! GET IT!!!"

What happened?? Did you burn him?? I read this tread a little while ago and am so curious as to what happened?

We are in the process of trying to get it started up. But i dunno, right now it looks like he might not race me. Don't worry, i'll keep everybody posted!!

---z28 goin down!! RaCinWRX

We are in the process of trying to get it started up. But i dunno, right now it looks like he might not race me. Don't worry, i'll keep everybody posted!!

---z28 goin down!! RaCinWRX

Ok, I don't own a WRX but I think I can help on the F-body knowledge....

If this is an LT1 your looking at a 13.8X or slower in stock form in its prime..

Do you know if he has any mods? A full bolton car in an LT1 will be something from 13.2X-13.9X depending on the level of boltons.. If he is an Auto with stall and boltons he could be in the 12.8X range.. Thats at best..

I would make it clear you want a heads up race on STREET tires not drag radials or slicks.. If he is a moded LT1 this will be a major benifit to you..

Now 1 question for all the WRX people.. Why do you raise your tire pressure to 40+psi for a street race or at the track for that matter? Is it to create less drag in the run? I understand you don't really need to lower you psi from the 32 as you are not traction limited like I am.. Just trying to understand the raising of the tire pressure..
    LETS PLAY

He insists that it's just stock, and from my research, his stock z28 should run 13.8 or more. definetely 265 or 275 hp cause he told me. don't know if he's lying tho. i mean it IS a street race and he could just be hustling me. oh well, when the time comes, i'll inspect his ride thoroughly, and if he does have some work done to it, then i'll just pump my wrx to 17psi and hope he doesn't woop up on me too bad.

---RaCinWRX

He insists that it's just stock, and from my research, his stock z28 should run 13.8 or more. definetely 265 or 275 hp cause he told me. don't know if he's lying tho. i mean it IS a street race and he could just be hustling me. oh well, when the time comes, i'll inspect his ride thoroughly, and if he does have some work done to it, then i'll just pump my wrx to 17psi and hope he doesn't woop up on me too bad.

---RaCinWRX
    If its a bone stock LT1, z28 it will definately run in the 14s. It is very rare for a bone stock LT1 to run in the 13s. Before my LS1 Z28, I had a 94 z28. It was no where near as fast as my LS1. It was a mid 14 sec car stock. With headers, exhaust, cold air kit, pulleys, throttle body, etc ,it ran mid 13s.
    Running 17psi and going from a dead stop, 5k Launch, you will definately give him a good race. You could easily be ahead up to 80 - 90mph. Just don't race beyond that. He will reel you in a pass you fast at speeds of 90mph or more.(4th gear) My LT1 cruised at 140 + mph like it was nothing. Don't race at high speeds or your done for.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.