Raced a Camaro SS
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Raced a Camaro SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Last night cruising to enjoy the new stereo. Two lane turn left (onto 75th in Westmont area) and a dark ...

Raced a Camaro SS

Last night cruising to enjoy the new stereo.

Two lane turn left (onto 75th in Westmont area) and a dark blue Camaro SS in in the other left turn lane.

I stay in 2nd and slowly accelerate after the turn, spinning around 3k, the Camaro is a couple feet off my rear bumper in the other lane...pacing me.

I hear the V8 roar, so i WOT. From my 3k-5k he walks from behind my bumper to about my rear door, but then he stops pulling. I hit third and start to slowly walk away, in third i have a length +...then we come up to traffic. We are just pacing each other, and lo and behold we catch a red light together.

So im giddy (i don't get to run anyone from a light normally). I bring the revs up to 4k and bouce em between 4k and 4500. Light turns green and im *gone* with a touch of wheelspin. I put a length on the SS in 1st, a length in 2nd, and i let off at the top of 3rd when i had about 3 or so lengths on the SS. It was a chase after the launch, but

Guy pulls up and they motion me to lower my window. The passenger asks "what the hell do you have under the hood?" I reply that i have a bigger turbo and associated stuff. The driver just says "damn you dominated." He then peels off into the night.

Cheers,
    Sameer
    99.5 A4 1.8T28
    P.E.S. T28 Turbo Kit, Racetec Z-Flo FMIC, 1/8 Test Pipe w/Milltek Exhaust, Vortrag Hypercoil Springs over Bilstein Sports (450lb/500lb), W.O.A. Stage II Clutch, Racetec 4-pt Strut Brace, A.W.E. A Pillar Boost Gauge, Bailey BPV, Valeo E-Codes w/ Phillips 5300K H.I.D., APR Snubbie, Strat cartridge SSK, S4 Vented Wheel Liner, Brembo Rotors w/ Hawk HPS Pads(F)/EBC Greens(R), Denso Iridium IK-22's, Hella Supertones, O.Z. 17" SL's w/ Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's, Alpine CDA-7894, MB Quart QSD 213, Rockford Fosgate 501.1bd, Alpine SWR-1241D, P.P.I. A.400, 35% Llumar Charcoal tint, UUC RKII, RS-4 Grille.
    "Building boost, breakin hearts"

94 Miata C Package (a.k.a. Nougat)
    Flying Miata's FM2 intercooled GT28 turbo kit, Shiv fuel rail, AEM wideband O2, FM turbo exhaust, R.S. Aizawa Slash Intake Lid, KYB AGX's, HDHCDD 4-Point rollbar, FM NA clutch, FM F+R swaybars, Hella E-Code H4 Conversions, CRI Fogs, CRI Air Horns, Lewis Lumbars, Momo Monte Carlo, Rota Circuit 8's 15" with Toyo T1-S's, Pioneer Premier DEH-P440 with Infiniti Kappas 6 1/2 (doors), Infiniti Kappas 3 1/2 (headrests), some chrome bits, Voodoo.
    "It's not how fast you go, its how little you slow down...but 9.5hp/lb helps!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

nice

was that in the a4? either way, nice kill.

Ermm, you don't seem to own a WRX.

You list 2 highly modified "other cars" in your signature, but I see no WRX. You were racing a Chevy.

This is the WRX Vs. the World thread.

See where I'm going with this?

Nice kill on the SS, but could you please elaborate?

Lawrider

please elaborate on these meager mods that you have that you pulled on a Camaro SS?

I talk to alot of the Audi TT Quattro guys which I am guessing is the same engine as yours
    and most of the fast ones are in the 12s
    I would figure with your car being heavier and such you would more problems going faster

so please enlighten me on your car that
    I find it hard to believe that your low 16 sec car stock is now taking out high 12s cars with just a turbo uprgade

not only that but your car stock traps at 84 whereas the camaro traps at 107, so you picked up over 23mph on your car with a turbo change? I dont buy it
    1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am

Originally posted by Bishop
    Ermm, you don't seem to own a WRX.
    Who cares? Its a turbo (AWD?) 4cyl spanking a V8 muscle car. I think that's something we all can appreciate.

Good kill Lawrider
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

First, i thought this board was open to all sorts. The reason i first logged on here was because last year i raced a WRX, and sure enough i saw his post here on this board, but he has completely lied about what happened, so i signed up, and posted to "correct him."

Ever since ive stuck around. I think most "kill" boards have all sorts on them, and since i have a AWD FI car, i figure WRXs and A4s are related. I am getting one of my friends into a WRX Wagon next year, and my brother is leaning toward a WRX as well (in no small part due to my liking the car).

Cleaner13,

Did you check the sig? Meager mods? FYI its an entire kit with 440lb injectors, replacement manifold, a clipped turbine, big trim T28 turbo, and new programming (along with an intake, 3" MAF, other stuff). I run 20-22psi, fully spooled at 3k, holds boost to 7k. That's plumbed through a 3" - 2.5" test pipe, and then to a 2.5"-2.75" Milltek exhaust. Cooling the charge is a vertical flow FMIC, and a big clutch to put that power down.

Id say my car is like the Stage 4 WRX's around here, its not just a bigger hairdryer. Im dynoing soon, but i expect im in the 330hp (crank) range on 93 octane.

A buddy of mine with my same car (but smaller exhaust) ran a 13.1 @ 104.71 (http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1267940.phtml). That should put me in a SS's range on the street considering i can launch from 5k if i want too (though all 4 tires spin).

The only thing left for me is a built 2.0L to get to the 400-450hp range, but that is waaaay down the road if at all.

Talk to your TT friends, i am running a PES stage 3 kit essentially...PES makes a TT kit which is good for 330hp with just the base kit.

I don't really like the track, so ive not taken my car there. Note the above is on 93 octane programming, i can gain another 20+hp with 100 octane programming...his run was with 93.

I *love* the LS1 engine...and am a big fan of musclecars. A close friend of mine has an LT1 Firebird with Borlas, and an intake...his car definitely fades behind me when we are on the highway. Im actually considering a 302 Cleveland kit into my Miata as well.

That said, i know that SS was trying...I also know that a few other cars ive run (E46 M3, etc...) we trying as well.

Cheers,
    Sameer
    99.5 A4 1.8T28
    P.E.S. T28 Turbo Kit, Racetec Z-Flo FMIC, 1/8 Test Pipe w/Milltek Exhaust, Vortrag Hypercoil Springs over Bilstein Sports (450lb/500lb), W.O.A. Stage II Clutch, Racetec 4-pt Strut Brace, A.W.E. A Pillar Boost Gauge, Bailey BPV, Valeo E-Codes w/ Phillips 5300K H.I.D., APR Snubbie, Strat cartridge SSK, S4 Vented Wheel Liner, Brembo Rotors w/ Hawk HPS Pads(F)/EBC Greens(R), Denso Iridium IK-22's, Hella Supertones, O.Z. 17" SL's w/ Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's, Alpine CDA-7894, MB Quart QSD 213, Rockford Fosgate 501.1bd, Alpine SWR-1241D, P.P.I. A.400, 35% Llumar Charcoal tint, UUC RKII, RS-4 Grille.

Flying Miata's FM2 intercooled GT28 turbo kit, Shiv fuel rail, AEM wideband O2, FM turbo exhaust, R.S. Aizawa Slash Intake Lid, KYB AGX's, HDHCDD 4-Point rollbar, FM NA clutch, FM F+R swaybars, Hella E-Code H4 Conversions, CRI Fogs, CRI Air Horns, Lewis Lumbars, Momo Monte Carlo, Rota Circuit 8's 15" with Toyo T1-S's, Pioneer Premier DEH-P440 with Infiniti Kappas 6 1/2 (doors), Infiniti Kappas 3 1/2 (headrests), some chrome bits, Voodoo.

Nice kill Sameer. Those LS1 motors are AWESOME. So much potential. You're droppin a V8 into a Miata? You madman! Can I drive it?
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Cleaner13,

Did you check the sig? Meager mods? FYI its an entire kit with 440lb injectors, replacement manifold, a clipped turbine, big trim T28 turbo, and new programming (along with an intake, 3" MAF, other stuff). I run 20-22psi, fully spooled at 3k, holds boost to 7k. That's plumbed through a 3" - 2.5" test pipe, and then to a 2.5"-2.75" Milltek exhaust. Cooling the charge is a vertical flow FMIC, and a big clutch to put that power down.

Id say my car is like the Stage 4 WRX's around here, its not just a bigger hairdryer. Im dynoing soon, but i expect im in the 330hp (crank) range on 93 octane.

A buddy of mine with my same car (but smaller exhaust) ran a 13.1 @ 104.71 ([url]

yes I did check your sig which is why I stated that. so your friend ran a 13.1@104.71? like I said a stock LS1 traps at 107 which would be 3 car lengths ahead of you. and considering you tookit from a roll thats the LS1 sweet spot 330 at the crank? no offense but thats not alot as opposed to the LS1 that has about 320 to the wheels stock and probably more torque then you. Also I dont think you have 440lb injectors but I think you meant 440cc.
    good kill none the less maybe he wasnt driving well who knows?
    1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am

Cleaner 13,

Well its about what happens on the street in the end, i suppose...i didn't exactly destroy that SS, just beat him. I also raced a E46 M3 for about 20 minutes on the highway some time ago, repeatedly walking away from him.

Everytime i meet something that I think is fast, i keep winning, so ill keep waiting for that eventual schooling I believe my car is a high-12's car with the right launch (as i said, my buddy's 13.1 was with a 20% smaller exhaust than mine, and open exhausts are very beneficial to turbo applications).

In terms of the roll-on i was careful to be at full boost, not below it...once im over 3k my torque (about 300 ft-lb) is pretty flat...while that's an LS1 sweet-spot, its also a sweet-spot for me as well...though your right in that many F body owners don't really know how to launch their cars (i know my car takes some real coordination to get the right launch).

Didn't expect either of those results, but so be it...if your in the Chicago area id be happy to meet up to see your GN.

I agree with you that my car shouldn't be running something with 330hp crank (at least that was the SS's advertised rating) because i don't think im at 330hp crank, but this is the second 330ish car ive walked (abiet slowly). Keep in mind my car is not peaky, from 3k-7k it makes its power with a flat torque curve.

Cheers,
    Sameer
    99.5 A4 1.8T28

Nice kill man, its nice to see how other AWD turbo cars are doing out there. Anyway, i think that it is easy to dismiss your claim as false simply because its not expected that a 4 door 4 banger can take out a muscle car. Your A4 is not much different from a wrx, and i think a lot of people like to underestimate other cars of the wrx's nature because they are slower stock. Nice kill though, and good luck on your miata. What do you plan to do about handling if you're putting in a huge engine, won't the weight balance be offset severely?

Solak321,

Thanks I am toying with the Monstermiata because i already have one FI I-4...and it would be cool for the other car to be different.

The 302 adds 250lb to the front of the Miata...use GT-40 heads to get it down to about 200lb...changes from 50/50 to 53/47. While not ideal, still pretty good.

Its not a done deal by any means, but when i think about the cost of a proper FI/IC/ECU i think its essentially the same as the 302 kit and a cheap used 302. Even stock a 302 is going to push a Miata like a banshee...and the stock tranny/diff can take a stock 302 with no problems (though the clutch has to be replaced).

I track/autocross my Miata, so maybe id be better off with just a basic SC kit to get to about 160whp and leave it at that...its just that i don't like to have my big turbo A4 friends leave me in the straights on the track

Cheers,
    Sameer
    99.5 A4 1.8T28

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Lawrider
    First, i thought this board was open to all sorts. The reason i first logged on here was because last year i raced a WRX, and sure enough i saw his post here on this board, but he has completely lied about what happened, so i signed up, and posted to "correct him."

Ever since ive stuck around. I think most "kill" boards have all sorts on them, and since i have a AWD FI car, i figure WRXs and A4s are related. I am getting one of my friends into a WRX Wagon next year, and my brother is leaning toward a WRX as well (in no small part due to my liking the car).

Cheers,
    Sameer
    You are 100% correct. This board is open to all sorts of other cars. Actually we like to encourage other enthusiast from other autos to come here to help with discussions. It helps keep the forum fresh, getting different perspectives on other cars and what makes them tick. Pay no mind to the newb. And I liked your story. Nice kill.

Good kill, I always love to hear of an LS1 getting beat.
    For the doughter who say LS1's trap at 107+ mph and you couldn't beat one, Thats bull.

My best 1/4 mile trap speed to date is 108mph. I usually only trap around 105mph or so. I've been beating LS1's big time from a roll.
    I know at very high speeds an LS1 will catch me a pull away but in every race I've had I've slowly walked away from stockish LS1s.

I even raced a C5 Vette to 135mph and I was able to keep a good 3-4 car lead on him until we both let off.

So again Good Kill

Re: Lawrider

Nice kill man. Always good to see an American V8 muscle car get taken down by a sedan.

Originally posted by Cleaner13

I talk to alot of the Audi TT Quattro guys which I am guessing is the same engine as yours
    and most of the fast ones are in the 12s
    I would figure with your car being heavier and such you would more problems going faster
    Actually the A4 Quattro is only about 30 lbs heavier than the TT quattro coupe, and lighter than the roadster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.