Close encounter with a black Type R
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Close encounter with a black Type R within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; To close for comfort!!!! I was cruising on Valley Blvd and a black Type R creeped up behind me. We ...

Close encounter with a black Type R

To close for comfort!!!!

I was cruising on Valley Blvd and a black Type R creeped up behind me. We both stopped at a light, and the guy looked over at me and said "nice car, do you want to run me? I just got my exhaust put on and I want to know how much of a difference it makes?" He sounded nice so I said sure.

Light turned green, and I dropped it at 3500rpm. The drivetrain shock sort of bumped the car a little but it kept a strong pull, he was at my rear bumper by the time I put it into second. But from that point on the Type R just kept up right behind me, and it wans't quiting. By the time we were slowing down he was at my passenger door.

We stopped at the comming light. He told me it was a nice race and that my car has good kick, and I told him I was really impressed with how the car just kept up strong. He said he got some cam upgrade and header and exhaust, and MSD ignition. I told him I would try it again with the boost controller turned on, but he told me that was all the car had and he would lose for sure this time around.

I gained new respect for the Type R today, but I am also gald that I have boost controller. I can't wait to see what the new Type R can do when it gets here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Those upgrades that he just had may be hurting him. The type R is just a beefed up GSR. The only mod I would do on that R is probably a cold air intake... or go force inducted such as the supercharger. Other then that, there's not much else to do to it.

just the same way that WRX is a souped up RS..

Originally posted by jk147
    just the same way that WRX is a souped up RS..
    Actually, the WRX is not a "souped up" RS. The WRX has an engine specifically designed for turbo application (i.e. lower compression), whereas the RS has a NA engine at 2.5L displacement (compared to the 2.0L of the WRX).
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

@#$#$%, it was such a tight race...

Actually, someone said the mods the Type-R did wouldn't have helped as its only a beefed up GSR, but sorry to contradict you, the headers and exhaust and cam (plus CAI obviously) probably gave him about 10-15% more power because that is the norm with US Type-R. Their headers are not very efficient and the stock exhaust is ok, but a better one would have helped. Actually, the exact same mods on the GSR would have helped heaps as well.

So you were pretty good to beat him with only your exhaust and stock psi, I would say!! Type-Rs are much lighter cars, and they rev very well compare to WRX, I think he was catching up in the higher revs.

I have raced Civic Type-Rs too with my S15 Silvia and although I beat him easily, he held gears much longer in between shifts then I expected.
    "S15 Silvia - Are you enjoying the view from the side?"

Originally posted by Iruka
    the headers and exhaust and cam (plus CAI obviously) probably gave him about 10-15% more power because that is the norm with US Type-R.
    Gaining 10-15% power on a US Type-R with those mods just doesn't sound right. Maybe on a regular GSR but not a Type-R. For each mod alone (specifically on honda/acura), the most hp you can get is 2-3 hp. So in total, that car would have between 5-10 hp. In conclusion, that would be a 5% gain (for a Type-R). If the Type-R, in the other hand, had the cams then THAT would give somewhat of significant power gain.

The GSR is easier to mod compared to the Type-R. The gains with the i/h/e would benifit the GSR more then the R.... especially if it had cams.

Originally posted by Bliss

Gaining 10-15% power on a US Type-R with those mods just doesn't sound right. Maybe on a regular GSR but not a Type-R. For each mod alone (specifically on honda/acura), the most hp you can get is 2-3 hp. So in total, that car would have between 5-10 hp. In conclusion, that would be a 5% gain (for a Type-R). If the Type-R, in the other hand, had the cams then THAT would give somewhat of significant power gain.

The GSR is easier to mod compared to the Type-R. The gains with the i/h/e would benifit the GSR more then the R.... especially if it had cams.
    Well, 10% might not be out of reach for a Type R, especially with cams and full exhaust system upgrade. 20HP doesn't sound too outrageous.

BTW, I don't have exhasut and I ran him the first time without turning on my EBC. I got a great jump on him and he spent the entire race catching up. I am impressed though, and the cams does seem to make the most difference.

Originally posted by Suparu

Well, 10% might not be out of reach for a Type R, especially with cams and full exhaust system upgrade. 20HP doesn't sound too outrageous.

BTW, I don't have exhasut and I ran him the first time without turning on my EBC. I got a great jump on him and he spent the entire race catching up. I am impressed though, and the cams does seem to make the most difference.
    The Type R with cams should make a difference (even though I've never heard of anyone done that to a Type R except on GSRs... 20HP gain from the cams is believeable) but the full exhuast system upgrade for hondas and acuras don't do much.

I had a 2000 5 spd Prelude with intake and exhuast. Of all the Type R's that I've raced, I've lost by 1-2 carlengths average up to around 95mph (the Type R was usually stock).

It's real badass that you got to beat that dood. Much props on that. This is the reason why I'm getting a rex of my own because it's a beast.... and also because my lude was totalled due to an accident. Anyways, good job on the kill man. Hopefully I'll be posting some of my own kills stories soon. Peace!

I think those Type-Rs really are a weapon on the track, they just don't do well off the line like most Hondas (even NSX) but once u get them rolling, they have an insane power bandwidth.

The one mod you forgot to mention is the CAI or Cold Air Induction, not sure if WRX owners are familiar with it (which I also mentioned earlier). That and the header probably gave him the most power gain, as CAI works very well on Honda Vtecs. So pls stop saying that headers don't work well on the Type-Rs, they actually do wonders.

BTW, the cam was probably changed to give it more bottom end rather than top end, that's what Type-Rs usually do.

These mods together with ignition would have given him 160KW to 165KW range. I wasn't joking when I said 10-15%, that's just the norm figure that Type-R ppl get.

just wondering how to convert hp -> kw and also kw -> hp. also, what areas of the world is power rated in horsepower, and where in kilowatts?

Originally posted by Iruka
    CAI or Cold Air Induction, not sure if WRX owners are familiar with it (which I also mentioned earlier).
    Wow, I rarely heard anyone say "induction" with the CAI but that's cool. It's the same thing as it being called the Cold Air Intake.

What I had on my lude was specifically an AEM CAI and a full-catback Greddy SP Exhaust.

Iruka, I understand what you are talking about but obviously my knowledge in this area is different from yours. I'll just let you believe what you believe and I'll continue to believe what I believe in. Let's just leave it at that. Cool?

An ITR is much more than a GSR. If we speak of just the engine alone...cams, valves, valve springs, polished intake manifold, pistons. Also note the ITR runs at 11.1 compression vs the GSR's 10.5. Also it is a rumor that the ITR does not take well to mods because it can put down some solid numbers (close to 200 to the ground w/ toda cams, intake, jdm header..etc).

Anyways, I'm sure if you race an ITR with your boost turned up, it would get really ugly.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

exactly. I hate it when people don't know what they are talking about and just generalize everything.
    I said that in the previous post just to be sarcastic. Wouldn't it be funny that some honda owners says "WRX is just a souped up RS."

Originally posted by jk147
    exactly. I hate it when people don't know what they are talking about and just generalize everything.
    I said that in the previous post just to be sarcastic. Wouldn't it be funny that some honda owners says "WRX is just a souped up RS."
    sorry jk, missed the sarcasm...oops!
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Smile

A close enough figure for HP>KW = 1.34:1.0
    So to convert from KW to HP, multiply it by 1.34.

In this part of the world (convicts country) most figures are quoted in KW, although the actual usage of HP and KW are both popular.

Type-Rs in Australia when lightly tuned with extractors, CAI, cam, exhaust, pulley + Apexi POWER FC computer or MUGEN comp (all up, US$2500-3000) can do 0-60mph in low 5s and 0-400 in mid 13's. Its slower 0-60 is due to Front Wheel Drive's tendency to lift when dragging, but its plays catch up pretty well!!

Its my dream car so don't bag the Type-R pls (until my S15 arrived)!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.