Stg 4 WRX vs 02 BMW, M3 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Stg 4 WRX vs 02 BMW, M3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Mad Max 03 I see boost by about 3000 and full boost by about 3800-4000. There is ...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stg 4 WRX vs 02 BMW, M3

Originally posted by Mad Max 03
    I see boost by about 3000 and full boost by about 3800-4000. There is a lot more lag with my FMIC than there was with the TMIC. I was getting full boost by 3400-3500 with the TXS TMIC.

As far as the heat soak...where did you see the gains? In traffic on that first accel...or after doing many hard highway runs (like racing something from 80-140 for a few miles).

Since you've cut your bumper already...do you think that's influenced you more into not considering going back to a TMIC?

How's throttle response in traffic? Like crusing in 3rd on a road around 30mph...then needing to move around someone NOW...do you have to downshift to second or do you suffer for a second or two before going anywhere (which could be extremely dangerous in some situations if you're in the wrong spot)?
    Last edited by madwagon; 04-24-2003 at 09:25 AM.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by FastARSEWRX
    I've NEVER EVER been beaten by a e39 m5. Is your car tuned?
    with all your mods, I can't believe that you got your arse handed to you by a m5?? How fast were you guys racing? I can maybe see the m5 having a good top end (meaning 120+)...
    Comedy...of course you'd cream an M5 with your mods. I had an 01 S4 with chip (bout 310hp/360lbft) and I could only hang (barely) with a new M5 till about 100-110, then the S4 was useless =) With my previous M's and other bimmers they really don't shine until 100+....but if you're pulling 11's you need to pick on bigger fish
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Um.....no deal on the M5 bashing...

M5 = faster than 20g wrx etc...
    cannot be touched, from a start, from a roll, and from anywhere else you want to race it (granted it has good driver)....wrx is not god!
    M5 is good friends with GOD!!!
    Christopher
    oh fellas, i speak from experience....the M is pretty untouchable...
    The family has one, and it much faster than most cars...hands down...

Fast arse WRX: you've beaten an M5? If you have, did he know you were racing?

just gotta stick up for the M!!
    05 SMG M3
    04' WRX
    01' M5
    soontobetwinturboE92

Re: Um.....no deal on the M5 bashing...

Originally posted by WRX=Imprezzed
    cannot be touched, from a start, from a roll, and from anywhere else you want to race it (granted it has good driver)....wrx is not god!
    Christopher

From a start? = dead stop.

With just my little stage 4 Setup I've run as fast as 8.18 in the 1/8 mile with 60' time down in the 1.7s. That equates to high
    3 sec 0-60mph. I didn't know M5s are capable of that kind of speed off the line.
    I last Z06 Vette I raced at the track was a couple cars back at the 1/8 mile mark. Are M5s a lot faster than Z06 Vettes?

I haven't seen them at the track but according to the latest Car and Drivers they are actually a tad slower than a stock '03 Cobra (which is about the same as a Z06).

Car & Driver (May 2003):

BMW M5, 6 speed

0-60: 4.9 sec
    1/4 mile: 13.4@108mph
    0-100mph: 11.5 sec

Car and Driver (April 2003):

2003 Cobra

0-60: 4.6
    1/4 mile: 12.9@112mph
    0-100mph: 10.6 sec
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

Not to sound like a prick, but do you own a 20g WRX? Have you taken a ride in one?

Maybe your car will get waxed by an M5 any way you cut it but not neccesarily a WRX with a 20g and all the supporting mods (fmic, engine management, etc.)

I think SGOSWRX hit the nail on the head. From a dead stop even my old setup (basicaly a Stage 4) could beat a M5 in the quarter mile. Could I have taken one from a roll..... I don't think so.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

there's no doubt in my mind that i could take it down low, but from 85 kick he has a 6 speed and a car built for top end. there's no telling what the top speed is. i didn't drop to 3rd but as soon as i hit it in 4 i was building boost but he left me and i couldn't pull him back down.
    Mods: TurboSpec 20g hybrid turbo, TurboSpec racing downpipe, custom 3" catback, vishnu uppipe, ported exhaust manifold, ported TGV housings, perrin intake, custom inlet pipe, greddy front mount, walbro 342 pump, perrin fuel rails, sx FPR, sx fuel filter, SSR Competition wheels, Carbon fiber hood, gauges galore inside, techedge WB O2 kit, UTEC, greddy profec b, greddy turbo timer.

1982 280zx turbo swap. Ford supercoupe intercooler. crushed stock FPR, crushed 2g dsm bov. stock 99 dodge diesel catback as intercooler piping. electric fan, and intercooler fan. best e.t. 8.22 @ 84.4 238hp 348tq

Exclamation .................

HEY GUYS, I GET A LITTLE TIRED OF PEOPLE TALKING BOUT' THE M5 LIKE ITS SLOW, OR UNDERESTIMATED, NOT A BIG DEAL, but a wrx built with sr/50 is another story....
    I've been in a super20g equipped eclipse, and i know for a fact that it would hang with the M. But that is FWD.
    Christopher
    05 SMG M3
    04' WRX
    01' M5
    soontobetwinturboE92

Christopher

There was a new M5 at the track last time I was there. He was a very good driver, clicking off (5) 1/4 mile runs within .1 or .2 of each other. His best time I saw was 13.2, his worse was 13.4, very consistent. God? Not even close. Sure, its an extremely fast family sedan and a hell of a nice car. Its nowhere near where you're making it out to be though. If you're referring to top speed, well I'm pretty sure those BMW's are governed to 155, and a heavily modded WRX will top that no problem.
    2003 Black sedan
    TurboXS UTEC Stage 4 FMIC
    STi 6-Speed with R180 rear end
    APS SR50 turbo, UR 785cc Injectors, Perrin Fuel Rails
    12.5 @ 109
    *7/22/04 - Now with 2.5 Sti engine, still in break in so no times*

Christopher

You have yet to ride in a wrx w/a sr50, huh? Let's say it'll support more hp to the wheels than the e39 m5 will at the crank. Once I can sort out tranny issues (mrt dogbox going in soon) it'll run mid-high 11's w/115+traps easily. What kind of times and speed does the m5 put out? Last time I checked it was high 12's-low 13's with 105-109 traps...which even a txs stage 4 wrx can put down. And yes, the m5 I raced was in fact racing me. If he turned off his AST he would roast his tires, with it left on he would bog. Even from rolls, he couldn't keep up. He now has a dinan S2 and is pretty fast, but I can take him still. Once I hit around 120, he'll catch up, but not enough to cover the distance that I had him by.

I'm not taking anything away from the m5, it's a nice car and I'd give up my car with all its mods for a new m5 in a heartbeat, BUT, you really really need to to inform yourself a little more before you go ranting off. I would HARDLY consider the m5 a good friend of G-d. Bugatti eb110s, jaguar xj220, lambo murcielago, ferrari enzo, ferrari f50, etc....YES, but m5? Not in my opinion.

So, I would guess that according to your statement above, the esx740 packaged wrx would have no chance against a m5, right? Even though the esx740 will swallow up the 1/4 mile in high 9's w/140+ traps and the bemer does it in high12-low13's @105-109 traps....

Just because you own a wrx doesn't mean you know the full potential. You'd be surprised what mods, such as a turbo swap, will do in terms of performance... With the mods you have listed, I can understand why you would think that the m5 would roast a wrx, but you really won't know what ~400whp (well, it's currently at 369whp currently on my car, but will be around 400whp once it's retuned) in a wrx feels like unless you've tried, and trust me...it's explosive beyond belief. I've driven MULTIPLE m5's and they pale in comparison to what I have setup. I can break traction in 2nd. (even with 225/40/18 azenis). 1st gear is non-existent because it flies by too fast and the smoke from 4 tires is unbearable. 3rd gear feels like how 1st used to feel when the car was stock. 4th and 5th feel like 2nd and 3rd, respectively, even with the tall gearing.

Your post is reminescent of people that still won't admit that a built honda could ever beat an exotic car, such as a viper...

Just b/c one car is faster than another from the factory doesn't mean that the slower car can't be made faster than the other car.
    Last edited by FastARSEWRX; 04-26-2003 at 03:52 AM.

Damn! That SR50 sounds AMAZING!!

I would be on that turbo in a heartbeat if it did not mean replacing the tranny to handle the power... , but then..... I am the same guy who has not grown the balls to crank the boost on his stage 4 +PE1820 any higher than 16 psi since I got it
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

yeah, the sr50 is an amazing turbo. I had a vf34 on there before and the difference b/w the sr50 and vf34 is like the difference b/w stock and vf34.

The pe 1820 is an awesome turbo too. Great top end with explosive power above 4g's. Very comparable to the sr40 turbo which is also an awesome turbo. I had the opportunity to drive my installers pe1820f'd car and that thing was great but he'll tell you how crazy the sr50 is in comparison...I raced him (I think his best time is a 12.5@109) and I pulled HARD, at least 5-7 car lengths by 130. I almost hit him b/c I couldn't gain traction even in 2nd. The 1820 is definately stronger than the vf34 I had but truthfully, save up your money man, cause the sr50 is worth it!! I'm not sure how the hks gt2835r would stack up against the sr50, but I was considering b/w the two and chose the sr50 since it's a drop-in and no fabrication is needed.

I MIGHT be selling my stuff soon to get a STi, but I want to see all the 1st production bugs worked, see the performance/handling numbers, and most importantly, the modability. I'll also have to check and see if my sr50 will fit onto the new sti. I know that the injectors and fuel rails won't work since they're side fed. All the other stuff is still questionable. I dunno, it's all up in the air b/c the dogbox is going to cost a fortune so...

Why don't you just stick with your WRX as you have it right now? The dog bosx looks like it would be the final piece to your proverbial puzzle, and then , you can simply enjoy your new-found power from then on...

I do like the STI and all, but what would give me even more pleasure is ripping a stock one apart with my current setup
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

I get the impression that the stock transmission will not last long with the SR50 strapped to the engine....

I don't launch me car at all, and always gently roll onto the throttle when I need the power so as not to shock the transmission..... It would be nice to know if the stock trans will last with the SR50......

Do you literally lose traction in second gear from a roll????

I hear the the PE1820 is capable of lighting up the wheels in second from a launch, but I will not be trying that out anytime soon.....
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.