New SI Encounter

This is a discussion on New SI Encounter within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm driving to work this morning and merge from 400S to 285E. As I'm physically merging onto 285 I look ...

New SI Encounter

I'm driving to work this morning and merge from 400S to 285E. As I'm physically merging onto 285 I look behind me as usual and see a black car 300+\-ft back w/ a big red sticker on the front window. I think nothing of it and continue to drive normally redlining 3rd and as few times just to enjoy my normal drive to work each morning.
    I pass Peachtree Industrial and I'm in the 2nd to left lane. I look behind me and there's an SUV in the left lane and then the same black car behind the SUV. I thought it was a Focus or something so I'm like whatever. What got my attention was that the black car was accelerating and braking very obviously behind the SUV. I'm doing 70mph and I just watch the show. Then the black switches to my lane and comes right up to me. He sits there for a few seconds and then jerks his car to the left and comes passing me. However instead of really passing me he downshifts as he passes me and sit 1 car ahead of me. So to follow the invite I downshifted into 3rd at 70mph and I give him the early warning to be fair. I hit the gas and pass him ... he's trying to move but his car isn't going anywhere. I slow back down to 70mph and the car comes right next to me and just sits there again. I look over and see his fancy gauges, exhuast, stickers, etc. I shift back down to 3rd and wait for his action. He tries to go yet again and I redline 3rd and go into 4th. I pass easily but missed my exit to 85 so I just keep on driving. I took the scenic route to work this morning but it was fun to just drive. It turned out to be a new Civic SI w/ mods ... I have no idea what he was thinking? He had all this bling bling things but nothing which actually helped him. I just don't get some people.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The new Civic si: looks neat, handles well, needs about twice as much HP.

-Jim

Re: New SI Encounter

Originally posted by chuglobal
    and continue to drive normally redlining 3rd
    LOL...although I think this is the norm for most of us on this forum too.

T.

Nice.

Lol, Jim. Agreed.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

Re: New SI Encounter

Originally posted by chuglobal
    It turned out to be a new Civic SI w/ mods ... I have no idea what he was thinking? He had all this bling bling things but nothing which actually helped him. I just don't get some people.
    It probably was modded, now he's running running mid to low 15s instead of mid 16's.

Honda really screwed up with that car IMO
    03 nissan sentra se-R specV

Re: Re: New SI Encounter

Originally posted by Tuco

T.
    Yeah seriously. Before I used to treat my car like a lady but now I treat it like a crack ho. Well not really but I am constantly redlining 1st, 2nd, and 3rd if im on the freeway. But i still give it the loving touch she needs.... he he he huh!
    04 SVT Lightning

The funny thing about the Si is that it cost $19,000! Thats nuts! Get an SRT-4 for just a little bit more.

Re: Re: New SI Encounter

Originally posted by Tuco

T.
    I'm guilty as charged on that one! hahaha

Originally posted by MilenkpThe funny thing about the Si is that it cost $19,000! Thats nuts! Get an SRT-4 for just a little bit more.
    Quite true Milenko. I'd still take the Si though. While the 0-60 in 5.6 second time is quite enticing, I actually want my car to last me past 2 years lol

-slim
    2003 Subaru Impreza WRX (AP Stage 2)
    Midnight Black, weathered and beaten thanks to the wonderful citizens of Philadelphia, PA

2005 Honda S2000
    Silverstone Metallic Exterior, Red/Black Interior, a shifter made in heaven

Heheh, my brother a black SI as well, its fun, nice shifter and have a sun roof!!!
    But powerwise, I think I would rather get an SVT focus.
    We tried racing one day, I pulled 2 or 3 car lengths at about 6000 rpm and we both stopped, and I have only basic mods like catless exhaust.

However, I am impressed with the low end torque of this little honda, my roomate used to have the 2 door SI and this new SI seems to have more low end torque and smoother transition for the V-tech

Originally posted by milenko11
    The funny thing about the Si is that it cost $19,000! Thats nuts! Get an SRT-4 for just a little bit more.
    Actually, since dealers cannot give them away, I have seen them advertised as low as $13K in the sunday paper, now that is a discount!!!!

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

02 civic si

my friend bought his 02 si last year for 17k with a sunroof (but no floormats). it is lagging on performance compared to others similarly priced, such as the srt-4, but it has much better build quality, cheap upgradability, and reliability. the seats i like better than the wrx's, more firm and look like aftermarket. stock its capable of 15.7 quarter mile. my friend has $1200 in mods (intake, exhaust, hondata, energy susp. bushings) and its consistantly in the high 14's. the new k20 is a great motor with nice low end torque in the si, but could use that extra 40 hp the type s gets. my buddy with the si has a turbo kit being constructed and once its done it should be putting down 200 something to the wheels. with his weight advantage and my car still stock he should take me...however ill always have the better looking car and the extra 2 wheels to chirp.

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    The new Civic si: looks neat, handles well, needs about twice as much HP.

-Jim
    Yes I ran into a brand new Civic Si the other morning. They are pretty cool looking but lack any speed.

He tried to race me 3 times from a 2nd gear roll. I would just punch the gas way down in 2nd gear (big time turbo lag) and just wait for the boost to build. As soon as the boost started to build I would pull away from him like I was shot out of a cannon.
    I could tell he wasn't to happy with the results. He really thought he was hot stuff in that new Civic SI

Originally posted by S-WRX
    new SI seems to have more low end torque and smoother transition for the V-tech
    Yeah, that's because it's not really a VTEC engine. The DOHC i-VTEC system on the K20A3 engine (new Si) is far different from the DOHC VTEC system of the old B-series engines or the DOHC i-VTEC system of the K20A2 engine (RSX Type-S).

The Second System (K20A3):

This system does not really conform to the "DOHC i-VTEC" nomenclature, as Honda would like us to believe. As I mentioned in my previous post, it actually should be called "i-VTEC-E," because it uses a VTEC-E mechanism rather than a standard VTEC mechanism. At low RPM, the VTEC-E system effectively forces the engine to operate as a 12-valve engine - one of the intake valves does not open fully, thus decreasing fuel consumption. At 2200RPM, the VTEC-E system engages the 2nd intake valve, effectively resuming operation as a normal 16-valve engine. There are no high-RPM performance cam profiles; this engine is tuned to balance fuel economy and power, rather than provide pure performance. On the intake cam, there is the VTC (Variable Timing Control) mechanism which basically is an automatic self-adjusting cam gear used to continuously optimize the valve overlap for all RPM ranges. This being a VTEC-E system - and not a true DOHC VTEC system - is the reason the K20A3 redlines at a measly 6800RPM, while the K20A2 is able to rev all the way to 7900RPM.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Humm ...

I haven't been in a new SI yet.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph