Modded Lightning vs Stage 4 WRX - long
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Modded Lightning vs Stage 4 WRX - long within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I had just finished putting my air silencer/stock airbox back on my WRX, (Wanted my car to be quiet) and ...

Modded Lightning vs Stage 4 WRX - long

I had just finished putting my air silencer/stock airbox back on my WRX, (Wanted my car to be quiet) and I was taking it out for a test drive. (really did make it quiet - no more turbo spool up sound)

Well to the race. I pull out on the main drag and I see this black Lighting pickup truck speed past me. So I get behind him a follow at a distance. Way up a head I can see the light turning red so I slow down. We both line up at the light side by side. I wasn't sure if he wanted to race so I just waited until the light turned green to see what he was going to do. He slowly rolled off the line and then punched it. I could hear that supercharger screaming. I was ready for him and punched it in the middle of 1st gear ( still didn't get the benifit of a launch).
    He was slightly ahead of me for about a second and then I started to pull on him. I got about 1-2 cars on him in 2nd gears but he was still holding tuff. I slammed it into 3rd gear and he was still about 2 cars back. He stayed about 2 cars back through 3rd gear. Then I slammed into 4th ( I thought for sure he would now reel me in) but I held a solid 2-3 cars on him all the way to 140mph!!
    I then let off because I was going 140mph! and because I could see some traffic coming up further down the road. He then flys by me and slows down.
    At the next light I pull up next to him and we talk. He didn't tell me what mods he had but he said it was modded and had 450+hp. I told him my WRX was modded and running about 17 psi boost right now ( I run 18+ at the track)
    He then said" That thing is turbo charged"? He knew nothing at all about WRX's?
    I told him he had a nice truck - he said nothing nice to me about my WRX - he was definately in shock and really didn't know what to say to me. He didn't say that my car was fast or anything. He just kept repeating " I've got 450hp in this truck"?

Then the light turned green and he nailed it and so did I the same. I beat him again this time by about 2 cars up to 70mph. I guess he thought the first race wasn't good enough.
    Just think what would have happened if I would have given him a 5K launch. That 2 car lead would have been 5 easy.

He was in his 20s and had his girl friend with him in his Lightning. That had to hurt.

Well another Victory for the WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice kill. That's a benefit of the WRX's - most people don't know what the hell they are.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Good kill, I have this picture in my head, "gotta hemi" commercial..

joe

good job
    03 WRB sedan

Originally posted by Big Joe
    Good kill, I have this picture in my head, "gotta hemi" commercial..

joe
    .....except that's a Dodge.

With 450 ponies in his truck, I would think that he would have crushed you.....what do those trucks come with stock?

and with no tire spin, I would think he would have reeled you in pretty quick.

That is a awesome kill...I just put my stage 4 in, so I am ready to find some fast cars.

Good job!
    Stage IV+
    Going for 11's

I think he was wrong about his HP. A modified Lightning, say a mid-high 12 second one anyway, has a 1st gear that is untouchable from a slow roll. I ran from a 2nd gear (my car, not his) roll against one and he instantly put two cars on me till about 60 when I passed him. Nothing outspools my puny stock turbos either. Their sweet spot is any roll where it can drop back into 1st. 2nd is certainly no slouch but 1st gear + 295 width tires + TONS of toruqe = fun.

They begin to run out of steam around 100 because they're still a truck, both aerodynamically and the fact they weigh almost 5000 lbs. I always wondered why if SVT could build such a truck, why isn't the Cobra meaner? Then they answered that this year
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I think he was wrong about his HP. A modified Lightning, say a mid-high 12 second one anyway, has a 1st gear that is untouchable from a slow roll
    I've raced several Lightnings at the local track, a blue one was running anywhere from 12.8's to 13.0's. After talking to him he informed me that he had a good amount of modifcations including a smaller pulley, exhaust, and an upgraded computer. Funny thing is that he also claimed 450hp and he expressed amazement that my car was running the same times and trapping within a mph of him.

I just went and plugged some numbers into a simple hp calculator found here. I used 4670lbs as the weight and 12.8 @ 108 as the et and trap speed and came up with............. between 440-459 hp.

Keep in mind also that at that time I was running with a unichip and the stock intercooler. I believe that SGOSWRX has an upgraded intercooler and UTEC. All in all, I think the guy in the lightning did have somewhere around 450hp and I do believe that SGOSWRX beat him.

Good one man!
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

I dont post here much, if at all.........but I'm registered b/c I was interested in the WRX a while back, I ended up getting a 03 Accord V6 6speed...........traded in my 01 Lightning for it. Long story short - the truck was having problems and I could see some potential/expensive problems occuring in the future, so the Accord proved to be a better buy for commuting 60miles a day. Anyways......I did alot of stuff to my truck - best ET was 12.3@111 w/a messed up EGR ---- (it honestly could have gone 11s with the power it was making)

Alot of of Lightning guys, when they do a couple mods......it automatically has 450 hp. While its not hard to get that hp at the motor (they have 380 at the motor, stock), its takes a real low 12 sec truck to make 450 at the wheels. Very few trucks in the club I was in were making 450 at the ground.

Say if he was running 12.8 or so when you raced him......that would be about 390 at the wheels which would be about 420 at the motor (rough estimate). With your 12.7 - that can stand up to alot of modded lightnings - and I just wanted to say thats real respectable, considering you have half the cylinders.

btw, I've raced a few wrx's in my accord - honda finally put out an accord that can 'hang' hehe

Not to steal the thread, but how do you like the Accord. I'm thinking about getting one for the wife. Are the sedans much slower than the coupes? Can you even get the sedan in the 6 speed?

Very few trucks in the club I was in were making 450 at the ground.
    I dont think anyone here was saying a TXS Stage 4 WRX could hang with a 450whp lightning. The guy was claiming 450 crank horsepower. Although, I'm sure there are lightnings putting down that much, look at the 4.6 SVT Cobra.

With your 12.7 - that can stand up to alot of modded lightnings - and I just wanted to say thats real respectable, considering you have half the cylinders.
    Thanks man!
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Originally posted by silverscooby
    Not to steal the thread, but how do you like the Accord. I'm thinking about getting one for the wife. Are the sedans much slower than the coupes? Can you even get the sedan in the 6 speed?
    Hey - Honda does NOT make a 6-speed sedan, unfortunately. Only the coupes get it. The interior of the new Accords is superb. If you want to get some great info on the car, go to www.v6accord.com. I am a mod over there and you can find a wealth of info.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

silver - I figured he didnt mean rwhp, i was just saying the term 450 hp seems to be thrown around loosly with some Lightning guys. As for the Accord, I am real happy with it. I drove a 03 wrx and the accord, and to me, the accord just felt a little better as far as low end power, the brakes are real good, the shifter/clutch combo is awesome (feels very sporty) - and there were minor things such as the premium stereo w/good speakers which sounds real good and clear, and it had the armrest and the whole overall interior is top notch. I'm real happy with the Accord and I've only had really minor problems such as the window clip which was misaligned and making a creaking sound - it got fixed a couple days ago and all is good. Everyone freaks out about the color also, sapphire pearl blue - it really looks amazing in the sun.

I'm waiting to see what companies come out with performance parts.......its kind of the first gen of Accord which has some serious performance potential. I think people are still in shock about the mid 14's their getting stock.

Originally posted by no one
    I'm waiting to see what companies come out with performance parts.......its kind of the first gen of Accord which has some serious performance potential. I think people are still in shock about the mid 14's their getting stock.
    Speaking of that, Injen makes a CAI for the V6 that gives an honest 10chp. I hope you are using premium fuel too - that has also been proven to give an honest 10chp. You, too, no one should hang around AV6 to learn alot about that new car you got.

Aj - I'm registered over there under a differnent name - seems to me the best forum for the 7th gens.

Anyone who thinks I can't beat a modded Lightning hasn't seen me beat them at the track.
    I race them all the time. Some are faster than others with the same mods.
    I've been running dead even with this one Lightning at the track that has pully, chip, gears, and drag radials.

I used to race him when he was stock and I would beat him big time.

The Lightning that I raced on the street was very close in speed to my WRX. I would expect him to run low 13s in the 1/4 mile. With some drag radials or slicks he could probably pull 13.0s or very high 12s. He was fast.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.