Test Drove the SRT-4, not impressed.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Test Drove the SRT-4, not impressed. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; we and my brother went to drive a yellow srt-4. All i can say is either we were on some ...

Test Drove the SRT-4, not impressed.

we and my brother went to drive a yellow srt-4. All i can say is either we were on some uneven pavement or that thing cannot grip at ALL! (i know theres no limited slip) gettin on the freeway shifted from 4th to 2nd, once in second punched it, it squealed. i can understand that but then from a stop light took off normal and then punched it. as soon as the tach hits 3700RPm or so the tires let loose and squeal and. we took off a couple more times like this and same thing. things i did like were the seats but dunno if could stand them everyday and the exahust, its already loud. but what i dont get is how can dodge call it a "street racer" if all the thing does is peel the tires? did anyone else drive one and notice this? i dont think they expect u to shift that early. other than that it pulls pretty hard most of all of the gears. didnt turn on the radio so couldnt tell ya about that. Oh and the shifter and that carbon fiber crap is hiddeous! If i had 20K or so id save a lil more and buy the WRX.
    2007 Civic Si

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The first thing most people buy for there car are rims and tires. Dodge knows this, so in an effort to cut cost they install crappy tires and rims so the ricer can blown them doing burnouts while the real ricer buy tires to support the horsepower thus creating a formidable opponent.

FF
    04 WRB/GOLD WRX STI
    Blitz SUS intake
    Blitz DD BOV
    Blitz NUR Spec R Cat-back
    Blitz SBC ID @ 17.0 PSI
    Buschur Racing Down pipe
    Exedy Clutch

Originally posted by Flat_four
    The first thing most people buy for there car are rims and tires. Dodge knows this, so in an effort to cut cost they install crappy tires and rims so the ricer can blown them doing burnouts while the real ricer buy tires to support the horsepower thus creating a formidable opponent.

FF
    Thats real dumb...

Howbout some good tires or an LSD? Then you wouldn't have to buy new tires, not everyone changes tires either . I'm still on my RE92's and we know they suck... Bad bad bad excuse.

Well First off this is not an excuss just a comment. And I don't care what kind of lsd you how if you have to much horsepower for your ****ty tires your still going to burn out...... just in a straighter line. and I not saying every body changes there tires or rims just most people do take this site for example I would bet that over 75% of its members have after markets rims and or tires. Take your car would you rather it have an lsd and good tires without a turbo or a turbo with ****ty tire. If you think about it, it turn out better in your favor because your going to change tires any way (normal ware) so would you rather pay for a cheaper car and change the tire or buy one that cost more and still change the tires. Hope you understand it all in the cost cuts.

FF
    04 WRB/GOLD WRX STI
    Blitz SUS intake
    Blitz DD BOV
    Blitz SBC ID @ 17.0 PSI
    Buschur Racing Down pipe
    Exedy Clutch

I saw my first SRT-4 and I didn't like it at all. I'm sorry but it looks so cheap. The car looks like its should cost $13,000 at most. It looks just like a riced out NEON.
    I don't care how fast it is. I just can't get over the NEON look of the car.

I was under the impression that Michelin Pilots were good tires...or am I wrong? Also, you have to realize it's an FF....were you expecting to be able to pull off clutch dump launches in that good. It's gonna take a good driver and hard hours of practice to get his launches down to near perfect, but much respect if you practice and get it down good. I do agree with you on the shifter, and the boot though. I'm sure Dodge had a difficult time deciding between performance, looks, and options, etc. Perhaps we'll see some changes in a year or two. Guys do me a favor though, not to say that anyone here is bashing SRT-4's, but try to stray from it. There are too many aholes at srtforums.com and overall there's just too much hateration going on between us and the Evo and SRT. Let's not be hostile and stoop to their level....

if i had 20k to spend, id consider it, and pray it lasts. but i would go for a sentra se r vspec or the mazdaspeed, over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

I respect the SRt-4 and it's a good car and all (at least so far). But i just thought making excuses for the tires not being good was kinda silly. Dodge could have put better tires on if in fact they are bad. And whose to say what the dodge engineers were thinking...

Yeah I feel you on the hating part, And I'm not but I thought it to be stupid to think your going to get good traction with a turbochaged FWD. Period regradless if you have an LSD and performance tires(but it does help) there doing to break lose under low end torq. Just the con of FWD.
    04 WRB/GOLD WRX STI
    Blitz SUS intake
    Blitz DD BOV
    Blitz SBC ID @ 17.0 PSI
    Buschur Racing Down pipe
    Exedy Clutch

So the big complaint is it's a FWD with high horsepower? That's old news for anybody who's ever owned a FWD DSM. My 89 Mirage turbo could get rubber at 60 mph (not stock of course).

Is it productive? Not really. Is it fun? Absolutely!

Besides, with some experience behind the wheel you learn how to apply the power so you're still beating the guy you're racing. It just takes time, and some non-stock tires.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

They cut corners here and there to keep it under 20k.. Thats all.
    -Andrew

Yeah, spinning the tires in 1st is very common with any high powered FF car. One of my friends has a 93 saab 9000 aero turbo. It has somewhere around 215 hp, and he can't hardly floor it in 1st without spinning the tires. If you think all cars are going to grip like a wrx with stock tires, youre quite mistaken and dodge would have made a huge error putting race tires on the car which would have been a big turnoff for a lot of people who want to just keep the car stock and live anywhere that it rains or snows.
    03 nissan sentra se-R specV

I use to spin the hell out of the tires in my sunfire. And I spin the tires in my wifes Eclipse GT all the time too.

I wonder why they didnt just make it RWD
    -Andrew

Isn't FWD cheaper, seems to be the motivation behind everything in the SRT-4.

yes it is cheaper and cheaper to maintain as well. Come to think about all this cheap stuff wonder how long these cars last before Put.......Put.......Com-Put...........pisssssssss (somebody in the back ground) "alllllll Sh!t man your suck's salty bull nuts
    04 WRB/GOLD WRX STI
    Blitz SUS intake
    Blitz DD BOV
    Blitz SBC ID @ 17.0 PSI
    Buschur Racing Down pipe
    Exedy Clutch

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.