Raced an evo tonight - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Raced an evo tonight within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; PlatinumWRX, a TurboXS stage 2 WRX also has maximum torque by 3500 rpm. http://www.turboxs.com/utecstg2.htm If you believe the TurboXS web ...

PlatinumWRX, a TurboXS stage 2 WRX also has maximum torque by 3500 rpm. http://www.turboxs.com/utecstg2.htm
    If you believe the TurboXS web site, it has more hp than the reported figure for the Evo.

Boostyle, IIRC, Shiv was getting much less than 230 whp. I'm guessing that the 230 whp might have been on a dynojet for which Shiv claims the adjustment factor is 1.19. This would make the crank hp 273.7, pretty close to the advertised 271. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to what the actual wheel hp or crank hp of the Evo is. Maybe they are understating the hp like Dodge did with the SRT-4.

All told, I would still be surprised if an "Evo VIII could take a TurboXS Stage 2 WRX."
    Last edited by Rich10; 04-17-2003 at 10:41 AM.
    2002 WRX WRB

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    I am not the least bit surprised that an Evo VIII could take a TurboXS Stage 2 WRX. Why is anybody else?

-Jim
    I'm not suprised either Jim. The Evo is indeed under-rated.

The EVO is practically a carried over version of the EVO 7 in Japan. All their cars were rated at "276HP" , you think they're gonna tell the truth about this one? I don't think so.

Originally posted by boostyle
    The EVO is practically a carried over version of the EVO 7 in Japan. All their cars were rated at "276HP" , you think they're gonna tell the truth about this one? I don't think so.
    According to the March 2003 issue of Car and Driver, "Previous Evos were known for surreptitiously surpassing the Japanese industry's self-imposed horsepower cap of 276. But Mitsubishi asserts that every five-speed Evo for America will make 271 hosepower and 273 pound-feet of torque-no more, no less."
    2002 WRX WRB

Well no matter what the figures are in print or what have you, on the street this thing is sweet! Cant wait to see how the STi fairs against this in real world tests..after all it is my next car..either that or a Cobra
    04 SVT Lightning

Originally posted by TonyG
    Relax guys. In a steet race when two similarly-powered cars race, there are so many possible outcomes. He could have been in a better part of his power band when they started to race or he could have even hit the gas a little earlier. You know if 2 identical cars raced, and one car starts just a little earlier, it would keep pulling ahead as if it was more powerful. That's why taking it to the track is the best way to compare two cars.

Well said man!
    293.2 hp to the ground
    267 lb/ft torque to the ground
    VF-30 Setup

I think that the Evo is a great car. I have read that it also takes very well to modifications. There are going to be alot of very fast Evo's out there.
    2002 WRX WRB

I think the evo would pull a txs stage 2 wrx. The evo has a fmic and a 16g turbo to start with therefore, I would think the wrx equiped with a tiny stock turbo would have trouble keeping up.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

Originally posted by All8up
    I think the evo would pull a txs stage 2 wrx. The evo has a fmic and a 16g turbo to start with therefore, I would think the wrx equiped with a tiny stock turbo would have trouble keeping up.
    EXACTLY. Finally some more support for my view point on this!

-Jim

We'll see what the mainstream automotive press (Car and Driver, Road and Track, etc.) does with the Evo. I personally doubt that they will get into the very low 13's or 12's.

Until then, I still believe that a WRX with a "tiny stock turbo" and TMIC that makes 300hp will pull on a heavier stock EVO with a bigger turbo and FMIC that only makes 271hp. That is, until the WRX has to shift into fourth gear.
    2002 WRX WRB

Originally posted by Rich10
    We'll see what the mainstream automotive press (Car and Driver, Road and Track, etc.) does with the Evo. I personally doubt that they will get into the very low 13's or 12's.

Until then, I still believe that a WRX with a "tiny stock turbo" and TMIC that makes 300hp will pull on a heavier stock EVO with a bigger turbo and FMIC that only makes 271hp. That is, until the WRX has to shift into fourth gear.
    i agree with ur assessment that mainstream mags wont get the best times out of the evo, in fact the sti or even the wrx as some of you guys have. problem with mainstream mags are they aren't really car specific enthusiast and give a general idea abou the car, not knocking them but they wont get the best times out of most cars (supra, z06, cobra, etc). evo's stock are already hitting mid and low 13s in the hands of real owners who know their car better than any mainstream mag can.
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Gawd, I love reading 'bench racing'. Makes my Friday afternoon's fly by..... :-)

I like my WRX a lot, but those yellow EVOs look damn nice (minus the clear corners).
    Dino
    - '03 WRX sedan - SOLD (Jan 07)
    - '06 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Stock)
    - '05 Volvo S60R - stock (Stock)

Originally posted by dukmahsik
    i agree with ur assessment that mainstream mags wont get the best times out of the evo, in fact the sti or even the wrx as some of you guys have. problem with mainstream mags are they aren't really car specific enthusiast and give a general idea abou the car, not knocking them but they wont get the best times out of most cars (supra, z06, cobra, etc). evo's stock are already hitting mid and low 13s in the hands of real owners who know their car better than any mainstream mag can.
    The reason that I suggested using numbers generated by the mainstream mags is that they are testing unmodified cars. That's really the only way to know how fast an unmodified car will go. There are plenty of WRX's that look stock and sound stock but have an extra 80hp under the hood. I'm sure that it will be the same for Evo's, SRT-4's, STi's, etc.
    2002 WRX WRB

Originally posted by Rich10
    The reason that I suggested using numbers generated by the mainstream mags is that they are testing unmodified cars. That's really the only way to know how fast an unmodified car will go. There are plenty of WRX's that look stock and sound stock but have an extra 80hp under the hood. I'm sure that it will be the same for Evo's, SRT-4's, STi's, etc.
    im gonna have to disagree to your statement:

"That's really the only way to know how fast an unmodified car will go. "

ask yourself this, who would know your car better a magazine tester that will have your car for a few hours to a few days or yourself? im willing to wager most car owners can run faster times than magazine testers simply because they know their car more and can have all the time in the world to run/test the car. a mag tester might know the best launch rpm, shift points, etc. That is crucial for real world times not mag times. i bet most magazines that tests the evo cant get lower then a 1.9sec 60ft. Normal times for most owners that have raced with their cars are 1.8sec and below. each .1sec for 60ft means a lot off the total ET.
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

IIRC, the fastest mainstream magazine quarter mile time that I have seen for a stock WRX is 14.2 (Car and Driver). I don't recall reading about people running faster than this with a stock car.
    2002 WRX WRB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast